CROCKtober - break out your crock pot recipes for October!

Options
Mina133842
Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
Taco Soup in the slow cooker (AKA: Crockpot)

I do this one in the slow cooker - you can make it vegetarian - just omit the meat, I've made it both ways.

Brown 1 pound of ground turkey, drain off fat, dump into slow cooker.
Add:
1 can of corn (drained)
1 can of Creamed Corn
1 can of Rotel
1 can of stewed tomatoes
2 cans of beans (your choice- sometimes I do red kidney chili beans, sometimes white beans, sometimes I get the S & W beans with chipotle seasoning on them)
1 packet of Taco Seasoning
2 soup cans (from the corn or beans) of water

Mix well, and cook on low all day - your kitchen will smell AWESOME!!!
I serve with sour cream, Juanita's chips, shredded cheese, and taco toppings (fresh tomatoes, onions, etc).

Hubs loves this soup, and when coming home for dinner can smell it outside and is excited for dinner.

Replies

• Mina133842
    Options
    Curry Chicken in the Slow Cooker

I made mine with Thighs- no skin, and bone-in, but the recipe called for boneless thighs that were quartered, and I just put the thighs in as they were.. I think it tasted okay ;}

1 1/2 pounds of chicken ( I just put in 4 thighs without any skin)
    3-4 potatoes
    1 apple
    1 can chicken broth
    2 TBSP curry

I chopped up the apple (after being cored) and left the "skin" on, peeled the potatoes and cut them into chunks (you want about 2 cups or more) and mix that all together with the chicken, and curry and chicken broth- I put it in the slow cooker and mixed in there, and put on high for about 5 hours, and then served with rice- normally would avoid the rice with the potato factor, but my boys aren't big on eating everything yet- so getting them to try a bite of everything, and wasn't sure if the curry would be too spicy for them. Thinking next time I'll add more veggies, like carrots, celery, etc. The recipe also said you could cook on low for about 8-9 hours I think, but I didn't have that much time after church/Sunday School.
    Sorry, I don't have a calorie count on this.
  • Mina133842
    Options
    Roasted chicken in a slow cooker

1 chicken, rinsed and patted dry
    seasoning- use whatever you like - I usually use lemon pepper and garlic salt, and sometimes get more creative. Today I used a little pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, and paprika.
    season your chicken- in the cavity, and on the outside, place in the slow cooker breast side up
    I usually drizzle a little EVOO on the chicken, and maybe give a brief rub
    1/2 cup of white wine

(on the liquid side- I tried the recipe with 1 cup of water, then changed it to 1/2 c of white wine, 1/2 cup of water, then just went a heaping 1/2 cup of white wine, and add water if I need to).

cook in slow cooker on high for 1 hour, then on low 6-8 hours, until chicken is done- this will depend on how big the bird is, and your slow cooker.

Hubs loves this one too, says it smells like "Thanksgiving" when he comes home.
  • gonzalezcook
    gonzalezcook Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These all sound great! Love the crockpot!:smile:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    **Next time I make this I'm leaving out the pepper and maybe less spicy tomatos. Super spicy!

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken
    By Chef in Training October 19, 2011

Be sure and join me on Facebook for the latest updates on new recipes! Here is another DELICIOUS slow cooker recipe I want to share …

Ingredients
    Print This Recipe •1 1/2 pounds chicken •1 (14.4 oz) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies •1 (15 oz) can black beans •8 oz frozen corn •1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
    •1 (14.4 oz) can chicken broth •3 scallions chopped
    •1 tsp. garlic powder •1 tsp. onion powder •1 tsp. cumin •1 tsp. cayenne pepper •- TT salt and pepper Instructions
    1.Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot.

2.Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.

3.Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.

4.Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning. Serve over rice (extra pts)

Enjoy!

(Recipe From: skinnytaste.com)

Servings: 8 servings

Serving Size: 1 cup Old Points: 3 ptsPoints+: 4 pts Calories: 190 Fat: 1.5 g Fiber: 5.6 g Carbs: 23.1 g Protein: 21 g
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ginger pineapple chicken
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cubed (about 3/4-inch)
    1 red onion, roughly chopped
    1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
    2 teaspoons ground
    ginger
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 cloves minced garlic

Place all ingredients in crock pot, mix well, and cook on low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve over brown rice. Serves 4
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For fabulous overnight oatmeal:

The basic recipe is:
    1 cup oats, old fashioned in my case
    3 cups water
    1/4 tsp salt

Cook on low for 8 hours.

Do this the night before so breakfast is ready in the AM. Make it plain then add your brown sugar or fruit/milk as you please. Or you can jazz it up in the crockpot. Like pumpkin pie oats - add 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning, 1 cup pureed pumpkin (canned or fresh - NOT pumpkin pie mix) and a touch of vanilla extract

banana oats - add a large mashed banana, some cinnamon, and 1 tbsp butter. (this is my favorite)

Get creative y'all.
  • scrapping_jess
    scrapping_jess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I made this about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was a huge hit with my family & my Bestie's family! The finished product filled 2- 20oz jars. I've included the link for the recipe...she has great pictures to go with the recipe.

http://sweetandsavorybysarah.blogspot.com/2011/09/apple-butter-in-crock-pot.html

Apple Butter (in the crock pot!)

Ingredients:

8-12 medium sized apples. Use any variety you have. I mixed it up.
    1 Tbs. Vanilla Extract
    1 Cup White Sugar
    1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
    1/2 tsp. Cloves
    2 tsp. Cinnamon

Directions:

Peel your apples and dice them up. They don't have to be pretty.

Throw the apples in your crock pot with the Tablespoon of Vanilla. You want your crock pot to be full of apples so peel as many as apples as you need for that. Turn your crock pot on low and cook for 6-8 hours. Check it every couple hours to give it a stir and see where it's at. Mine was done more around the 6 hour mark but I think my crock cooks things a bit quicker than others.

Add your white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. Give it a stir and cook another 5-6 hours. Mine was ready at about 5. Also stir it around every once and a while. Mine seemed to need it...yours might not!

At this point your house will smell amazingly and your crock pot will look like this!

When you spoon this into containers, please be careful. I don't want you to drop any of this hot stuff on your hand....because that might hurt a lot and make you want to scream and throw your hand around like a crazy lady. It didn't happen to me or anything but just be careful.
  • katw9l1
    katw9l1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This sounds great, cant wait to try. Is this recipe in the mfp database.

Thanks
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound sooooo good!!:flowerforyou:
  • AMike98
    AMike98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • juls0582
    Options
    Just put this in...can't wait for tomorrow!
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump

I need more crock pot recipes, can't wait to try the ones posted so far!
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lexusjade
    lexusjade Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love Crockpot cooking! Thanks for the recipes!
  • staceywilk
    staceywilk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to follow my Crock Pot board on Pinterest. I'm always pinning new ones!

http://pinterest.com/staceywilk/crock-pot-meals/
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • alisheets79
    Options
    Have to say that I love joining this group and great recipes are coming soon!
  • rydersgrammy1
    Options
    All the recipes sound great... I would love to see the calorie counts included though..:smile:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I just put my chicken thighs in the crock pot and add 1/4 of the big economy size La Victoria salsa supreme and cook it on low all day. I then have salsa chicken for my burritos, tacos, nachos etc. Easy Breezy!