getting ready

Options
So, I have never competed in any kind of physical activity before. Usually, I shy away from such things. However, I really like the purpose of this. And it just seems like fun. Does anyone have tips for a newcomer to prep over 8 months before participating in this thing?

Replies

• WIbeliever
    WIbeliever Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I did my first one, I had no clue what to expect. I ended up walking almost all of it and had to do it by myself because my co-worker I was to go with had to cancel at the last minute. The very first thing I would tell you to make sure you go with a friend or two. I would first say getting up and moving is going to be wonderful. Maybe start with walking outside for at least 15 or 20 minutes a day and then gradually increase your time. The obstacles - I wouldn't worry about those these first couple of months. Building up your endurance to complete a 5k or 3.2 miles is important.
  • lilmzritz
    lilmzritz Posts: 176
    Options
    I agree with WIbeliever - endurance first to make sure you can at least walk 3.2 miles without passing out :)

I myself am not in the best shape so I just started walking about 3 weeks ago for cardio and started taking hip-hop classes because it's so much FUN! I plan to lose weight first before doing any strengthening/toning exercises thinking that my body would just go into shock if I just started running like crazy or lifting weights.

The beauty about the Dirty Girl Mud Run is that it's not a race. It's not a competition. It's something to have FUN with and it would be awesome if you can do it with a bunch of your girlfriends because you can help each other out during the obstacles. If you can't get past an obstacle, it is OK to just go around and go straight for that mud crawl!