How do you know you're doing the right thing?

Options
I joined a few months ago, put in my stats, MFP told me how much to eat (1370), I always ate the exersize calories back (1800-1900 on cardio days). I lost a pound a week like I asked to. Then, I plateaued, I've been gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds over the last 3 weeks. I was doing elliptical 5-6 times a week for 35-40 minutes. I decided to start NROL4W and upped my calories to 1800 every day, with a protein bar in addition 3 times a week on lifting days. I'm still doing about 30 minutes of HIIT elliptical 4-5 days a week. I had wanted to lose a few more pounds when I plateaued, but also don't want to be skinny fat, like I think I am, so that's why I started with the lifting. Does it sound like I'm doing the right thing with calories? It seems there's so many conflicting ideas on what to do. It makes my brain hurt. It was so easy in the beginning, ate what MFP said and I lost the weight they said I would. I don't mind the harder work, but just want to make sure it's the right thing to be doing. I'm 5'7, 32 year old female, 133 pounds. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm betting it's the right thing to do! :)

No matter what, you're going to love the body changes - and if you decide you need more scale loss, you can always adjust your calories if you're not making the changes you desire.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great! I think it's more important to concentrate on body recomp. than scale weight. You may stay at the same weight and loose inches, go down in size, get stronger, feel bad *kitten* in the gym while lifting heavy things. :)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is already at the low end of the healthy range. I would try it for a month and see how you feel, how your weight is, etc. I honestly think building muscle will make your body feel better than losing any more weight at this point.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Those calories for non-exercise days sound a tad low for someone your age and height. Try adjusting up 100-200 cals? More importantly, what is your body fat %? At 5'7, 32 year old female, 133 pounds -- you are probably at or around your ideal weight. Maybe focus on body fat % instead of the number on the scale. I am positive weight lifting will help with that.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm going to be a *bit* contrarian and suggest that you are doing TOO MUCH CARDIO for the NROL4W program. If it were me, I would cut the cardio back, monitor your calories VERY closely (i.e. make sure you are NOT over-eating the calories you are alotted) and report back in 2 weeks. Eliminate AT LEAST 2 of your HIIT sessions - meaning: don't do HIIT more than 2 x per week.

That's my suggestion!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lose any more weight. Not at your height and weight. I'm 5'6'' and 143lbs and I'm looking too skinny, but I carry all of my weight in my legs. If you are nicely proportioned, I sincerely doubt you need to lose anything. Keep eating at maintenance and throw your scale away. You may gain in the fist stage or two and you really need to be comfortable with that. If you do gain, realize it's water and a little bit of muscle (you have to eat at a surplus to gain substantial muscle), especially if you're eating fairly clean. However, even though your weight will stay the same or even go up a bit, your body will change in amazing ways, for the better.