Right time to exercise?

Options
As I'm sure you're well aware; there is a TON of fitness information floating about - most of it conflicting. I've heard that it's good to exercise first thing in the morning, before you've had anything to eat, and I've also heard that you should have a little bit of fat first in the morning before you work out, the theory being that your body needs it to "know what it should be burning". Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding these two "tips".

On a separate note, Steve, I'd like to thank you for all the time and information you donate here. You are very generous to offer your expertise!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure you're well aware; there is a TON of fitness information floating about - most of it conflicting. I've heard that it's good to exercise first thing in the morning, before you've had anything to eat, and I've also heard that you should have a little bit of fat first in the morning before you work out, the theory being that your body needs it to "know what it should be burning". Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding these two "tips".

On a separate note, Steve, I'd like to thank you for all the time and information you donate here. You are very generous to offer your expertise!

You're welcome. And thank you for giving me a reason to sign in here everyday. This is a win-win situation. I don't view it as a donation. I get out as much as I put in.

First and foremost, when it comes to comparing timing of training, and variances in outcomes are likely the equivalent of splitting hairs.

That said, when should these differences be worried about? Not until you're relatively lean. Maybe sub-14-15% for men and sub 20-21% for women. Possibly even lower. Up until that point, I simply wouldn't sweat it. If you feel better training fasted, have at it. If you don't, train fed.

And if you are training fasted, no, you don't have to eat some fat in order to stoke the 'fat burning' furnace.