Losing fat/gaining muscle and inches

kelgalon
kelgalon Posts: 31 Member
I've been working with a trainer and a modified version of the NROL4W (hurt my back a couple months ago so have to modify quite a bit). I had a weigh in yesterday with my trainer using a scale that calculates bf% etc. I had gained 6 lbs of muscle since I last weighed in and lost 4 lbs of fat. FANTASTIC! Except when he took my measurements my waste and thighs had gone up (like 3 inches up). Any ideas on how that could happen? I'm going back Friday for him to retake measurements. He said something about if I'd had a ton of water that day I might be bloated. That got me thinking about all the other things, like the anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers that might also make me retain water. Anyway, just wondered everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Scales can't accurately measure BF%. The only way to get an accurate reading is to have a DEXA scan. Taking measurements is a better way to gauge results but it's also very difficult to measure the exact same spot every time and the amount of tension you apply to the measuring tape will also vary each time. I suggest taking pictures of yourself every month.

When you begin lifting heavy weights your body will retain a lot of water. This is temporary so be patient. Your diet and menstrual cycle will also play a part in water retention.

Keep lifting and best of luck!
  • kelgalon
    kelgalon Posts: 31 Member

When you begin lifting heavy weights your body will retain a lot of water. This is temporary so be patient.

Do you know how long your body will retain water b/c of the heavy lifting? Like are we talking days or months?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,106 Member
    You know, kelgalon, I think ^^^THAT^^^ is a very good question! One that I have CONSTANTLY wondered about!

Because, I have been weight-training, 3 x per week, for nearly a year....and, at "what point" does the "water retention" actually just reflect my "normal state"????

My belief, with no scientific evidence to back it up, is simply that once weight-training becomes a regular part of your fitness lifestyle, measurement "blips" cannot really be attributed to "water retention" (except in relation to menstrual cycle - different question). If you have JUST started into weight-training, then maybe this makes sense. Dunno. For me, I just presumed, from the start, that my shape changes are as a result of nutrition changes and weight-training....not due to water-retention.

I would *love* to hear other responses, though!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    remember heavy weight training tears muscle fibers then to repair it the body floods it with water so you can expect a little from that the day after lifting as your body recovers but if you don't weigh yourself every day you will never know about it :smile:

BF% scales massively fluctuate and cannot seriously be trusted, get your trainer to take caliper measurements if hes not already.