... a whole 30 thanksgiving....

Options
MizMelis26
MizMelis26 Posts: 24 Member
So i got my turkey and i have pretty much everything i need for a whole30 friendly thanksgiving, which is coming up on Monday the 8th. The only thing i haven't been able to find, was a suitable nut crust recipe for my Paleo Pumpkin pie (which is pretty much the whole30 "pumpkin" pie filling, except i'm actually using pumpkin instead of sweet potato's. Everything i've seen so far when i googled, it was either calling for maple syrup, stevia or butter. As a personal choice, I've kept Ghee out of my diet, and have been sticking with good fats. I'd really like to use a mix of Walnut and pecan nuts as the "flour" for my crust.

My parents are coming over, and this will be out first thanksgiving together in quite a few years, almost 6 i believe.(And, Tee hee hee, they wont be expecting it to be all Paleo lol)

So back to my pumpkin pie dilemma, does anyone know of a crust recipe that doesn't call for coconut flour, butter, sugar of any kind that they can share ???

Thanks a bunch !!
Mel

Replies

• b1t3m3
    b1t3m3 Posts: 47
    Options
    Just a suggestion... because in ISWF it tells you it's best not to try to replace foods you're craving (like pie crust), why not make a pie for your parents, and put some of the filling aside for yourself as a type of pudding. You can add slivered roasted almonds (or another nut) for some crunch.
    Probably not the solution you're looking for. I'm Canadian too, so Thanksgiving's coming up. I'm getting my dad to do the bird, and I've offered to make the veggies, to make sure there will be lots of choices.
  • MizMelis26
    Options
    They don't normally suggest Paleo-ifying things that are a pretty poor food choice, but because thanksgiving is once a year, and they do believe that it's ok to create something that's reminiscent of we used to eat. It's not going to taste like original pumpkin pie, especially because apples will be added to add the sweetness instead using maple syrup or any kind of sugar.

http://whole9life.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-2011/

lol yeah, i googled to make sure it would be ok.
  • MizMelis26
    Options
    I'm responsible for the whole meal lol, So i've got my bird in the freezer right now, i'm making the Paleo whole30 stuffing on the link i supplied, I'm also going to have lots of veggies and squash. So it wont be a normal thanksgiving for them, but it's going to be amazing ! Though i told my mother, they better have an open mind when they come for dinner lol
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Check out this recipe for a pie crust:

http://foodsforlonglife.blogspot.com/2009/05/raw-vegan-dessert-helperuse-as-crumble.html

It uses dates and raisins to sweeten it up a bit.

Hope this helps! And let me know how it comes out if you make it - I found this recipe a while back but haven't tried it out yet.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil will do as a great sub for butter. It is actually a killer for baking!
    So back to my pumpkin pie dilemma, does anyone know of a crust recipe that doesn't call for coconut flour, butter, sugar of any kind that they can share ???

Make it crustless, on a bed of crushed pumpkin seeds (pepitas) dusted on the greased pan (like you would do with pecans; or heck, use pecans!) - don't forget to pretreat the sides the same way. Or you can make it into an upside-down way, using dry apples or pears as your base. Just use a bit of fat to grease the pan, lay thinly sliced fruit, then pour pumpkin pie mix on, and voila. Everyone will love that :)

If you can roast your own sweet potato or pumpkin it will bring up so much sweetness in it that you won't need any sweetener. If not, concentrated orange juice will do (or mashed banana, or ground dates). W30 allows commercial goods sweetened with juice, so I don't see why you can't use it in your cooking.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    OMG, you gotta check this out:

http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.ca/2011/11/pjf-pilgrim-pumpkin-pie.html

It's gonna blow everyone mind away... Alas, it uses molasses and syrup, so you can't make it as is, but I love what she uses for the crust! Check it out! My kiddo will be overjoyed!