Carbs

I am new to this but here's my question - I have trouble meeting my carbs because I have an intolerance to bread and pasta, therefore try to avoid it when possible. I am not necessarily a Low Carb person. I try to get carbs from veggies. Is it bad that I don't meet my carbs for the day?

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    its not a bad thing at all as long as you are making sure to hit your calorie goals for the day. everyone has their own needs and must tailor their approach to this thing.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Carbs are found in everything.. try ncreasing your dairy consumption to help bring up the carbs if you are really low.
    Its not bad to be under.. it just depends on what your macros are set to:)
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    how many carbs do you average a day? The reason i ask is because if you work out your body needs carbs to balance your macro-nutrients. Veggies and dairy are a graet best place to get your carbs anyway so it is actually helpful that you don't tolerate bread and pasta. How do you do with oatmeal or other grains?
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    I may have a slight biased opinion as I'm low/lower carb. But if it's a struggle make sure you're getting enough fats so at least you are still keeping energy levels up. Worst scenarios are high carb/high fat (recipe for weight gain) or low fat/low carb (recipe for fatigue and all round ****iness feeling)
  • I average around 100 but MFP suggests 195. Oatmeal and breakfast cereal don't bother me as much. I do work out and seem to have had an energy surge lately.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    I average around 100 but MFP suggests 195. Oatmeal and breakfast cereal don't bother me as much. I do work out and seem to have had an energy surge lately.

The EM2WL philosophy suggests manually altering your ratios to 40% carb, 30 % protein & 30% fat.

Also, I think 100 sounds low-ish, but not too low. As long as you're much higher in your protein and fats and coming close to your protein macro consistently you should be fine.

I am an advocate for a lower carb (definitely not low) diet anyway based on how they react in our bodies, especially in people who suffer insulin sensitivity. I do 30% carb, 35 protein, 35 fat and eat around 150 carb depending on my daily cals.

But I cannot stress enough the importance of protein! Just look at my username :wink:
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Bump
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Many of my carbs come from fruit and dairy. If you like eating either of those food groups, they are great source of naturally occurring carbohydrates.
  • I always meet my protein requirement (and most of the time I exceed it which may be another problem). Thanks for all the help. As I said I am new to MFP and even for keeping track of what I eat. I always thought as long as I ate in moderation I could eat whatever. I am really adjusting my thinking and trying to adapt to the EM2WL lifestlye. Will probably still need help along the way:smile::smile: