How much should I be eating?!?

ChitownFoodie
ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
My objective is to gain muscle and lose the squish while maintaining weight or gaining muscle weight. NROL4W says you should be eating 1.8 or 2 times RMR on workout days, which puts me at 2000-2200. And on no workout days you're supposed to eat 1.6, which puts me at 1780. According to my BodyMedia Fit, even on my rest days I burn anywhere from 1800-2100. When I workout, I end up at 2000-2400. Do I eat what NROL4W says or my BMF? I wouldn't really worry about it, but I am at the rock bottom of normal BMI and don't want to lose weight.

Right now I am eating about 200-250 more than what my BMF is saying, which I think is what is making me squishier but the scale is about the same.

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I eat more than the book says. My average burn is 3000 according to fitbit and the book only wanted me to eat 2400. I said heck no! I would go with your BMF.
  • you eat what your BMF says--NROLFW is assuming that most people don't know what they burn so it's giving them guidelines. You have access to greater knowledge so use it.
  • Absolutely under no circumstances should you decrease your calories--you'll get better gains/make more progress if you eat at maintenance or slightly above.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    you eat what your BMF says--NROLFW is assuming that most people don't know what they burn so it's giving them guidelines. You have access to greater knowledge so use it.

Yep, your BFM is it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    you eat what your BMF says--NROLFW is assuming that most people don't know what they burn so it's giving them guidelines. You have access to greater knowledge so use it.

Yup. If I remember correctly he says in there somewhere that it's just a guideline, and you may need to play with the numbers to see what works for you. If you're losing weight increase calories, etc.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Thank you all for your responses. BMF it is!! :happy: I am genuinely happy about this response because I really don't want to cut calories. LOL! I like to eat.