11 year post op -75% of excess weight, back to fighting 25%.

Options
Hey All,
I had RNY Gastric Bypass April 20, 2001 and started at 340 lbs. I've kept 75% of my excess weight off, even after 11 years...but I'm 40 lbs heavier than my lowest post-op weight, and not happy about it. Ugg. So, back to tracking calories and exercise...Again! If you are pre or shortly post-op, remember this is a lifetime decision and just a tool. Surgery is on your stomach, not your mind...so the issues that lead to your weight gain are still going to be there. Lifetime journey, one step at a time.

Any other long term post ops? :)

Kat

Replies

• ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine was a BDP-DS 10 years ago. Best decision I've ever made. I had dropped a few pounds before surgery, so was at 269 when I walked into the hospital. I never made it to my drs goal of 157. Well, I did when I had a stomach stricture and couldn't keep anything down. I was down to 147 at that time and thrilled, though in pain most of the time. When they opened the stricture I went back up to 167. Stayed there for about 5 years and slowly crept up to 180. Worked on losing that and am back down to 166 today. I have been playing with the same 5 lbs since last Nov. when I lost my job. Not too bad considering I am a stress eater. I have tried a number of different plans since coming back and can't seem to land on something that is working for me. I know I have to limit my carbs and struggle with that daily. I started Zumba last Feb. and love it. Also bought my DILs bike and a FitBit to monitor my activities.

So along with you, I'm working at it. You're so right that the surgery is a tool, we still have to deal with what life throws at us. Best of luck!

Gini
  • klniblack1
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    I'm 7 years post op and was down to 146 from 268. I got married and had two sons in Jan 07 and March 08. After my 2nd boy was born I was about 165. I knew I needed to work a little to get that back off, but with two babies and stress eating I grew and grew back up to 223 after having 2 miscarriages this year....I saw myself doing it to myself. I knew what I was doing, BUT I didn't care....I've been trying the appetite suppressent phentermine for the last 6 weeks or so (as I was always hungry from about 8 months out) (before when I still got dumping or upset stomach from what I ate or how much I just drank water and that solved the hungry thing, not so mujch now.) Anyhow, the phentermine has been pretty great. I feel like my pouch has shrunk back up about half of what I was and I'm down 15lbs. SO, it's all mental...I think there was really about a 24 month window to lose that weight and change your brain....if not, doom! I have several gals I know that lost a ton, but gained it ALL plus more back quickly due to never changing the way they thought about food. You eat to live, not live to eat!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm not nearly as far out as you (4 years post RNY) but I was also once 340 pounds. Thanks for the advice. I do plan to stay diligent and fight tooth and nail to remain at my goal weight. You can get it back off!! Hang in there!!