Is anyone on here also doing Intermittent Fasting?

Options
So i have been following Paleo but also doing Intermittent fasting for more rapid weightless. It has worked in the past but seems to be going very slow and inconsistent this time around. After days of IF I will see no change on the scale and then one day it will either jump up or down. Want to know is anyone having the same issue?

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Not on purpose but it happens.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I recommend just doing measurements. Also keep in mind that the scale is not going to be entirely consistent, due to normal fluctuation that we go through day to day. I have never been a huge breakfast eater and didn't know it was anything until I found MFP last year. So yes I do IF, but that's just cause I don't care too much for breakfast.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It happens all the time. When I eat enough fats the meal before I am not hungry so I go without eating.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty much every morning I will have my bulletproof and then nothing till about 1 sometimes 2....but my problem is when Evening hits, then I eat to much and always have the urge to snack, so now I'm doing a 2 day fast eat 5, but of course my meals are more paleo then primal.
  • Zaphyre13
    Zaphyre13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have coffee w/tsp coconut oil and a bit of cream for breakfast and then lunch and dinner.
    It makes my mornings easier. If I'm hungry I have a piece of cheese. I was skipping breakfast
    and lunch but was eating soooo much at dinner and I didn't feel quite right.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, but I prefer WHEN = eat when I need to. Normally, I can't go without breakfast if I am <125 lbs.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It's technically not fasting if one is consuming fats in the morning in the form of MCT, coconut oil, half & half, cream, etc. It should be considered fasting if ingesting less than 10 calories in the morning though (ie: black coffee with no cream). That being said, I don't fast, but drink my coffee with MCT and coconut milk in the morning, and don't eat anything until after noon, sometimes as late as 2:00 pm. I tried intermittent fasting but it doesn't agree with me, and I'm losing weight just fine without it. But a lot of people have great success with it.
  • LeidaPrimal
    Options
    Well, the LeanGains allows up to 50 calories during the fasting phase. Theoretically, fats do not break the fast, because it doesn't cause insulin response, hence the concept of the fat fast . As a calorie saving device, little bites of fat is not a bad idea. If the IF is intended as a calorie saving rather than the LeanGain type of application for muscular growth.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well, the LeanGains allows up to 50 calories during the fasting phase. Theoretically, fats do not break the fast, because it doesn't cause insulin response, hence the concept of the fat fast . As a calorie saving device, little bites of fat is not a bad idea. If the IF is intended as a calorie saving rather than the LeanGain type of application for muscular growth.

Very interesting. Going to look up that program and check it out. I never have only 50 calories from fat though. Mine usually come in around 200-500 calories with my coffee. But maybe, just maybe, I'll try it again following that protocol.
  • LeidaPrimal
    Options
    LeanGain is unfortunately notoriously badly described, you have to sift through loads of blogs etc to get the info. The author promised the book like 3 years back, and never delivered. I find it hard to fit into a lifestyle with a family, because the ratios are so drastically reversed on the training and non=training days. There was a calculator somewhere that did a number of options. 50 cals of fat is rather easy, just set a tbsp of fat aside, and take licks if you need a quick boost. They use that technique on heavily obese people giving them fat via IV every two or so hours and keeping cals down to about 100 a day. The Atkins fat fasts are the same idea. Very low calorie days (~ 1000 cals) with hunger being blunted by small touches of fat.

Ultimate diet 2.0 has a far better documentation, but for going off the diet phase. I am convinced it can be done successfully if you jump into a VLC from it.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Never have tried IF; but I'm gonna do it on Monday and see what happens. Will keep all posted.
  • troyprado
    troyprado Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In the past I have tried this.. I would end up eating too after the fast
    For me a lot of work for too little results.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I tried it. It devastated my hormones. I binge ate and gained 10lbs. So now I'm back to where I was before I went paleo, and my hormones are still wacky so the weight isn't budging. GRRRRRRR!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options

thank you for this..very interesting! An important point I read somewhere in the blog was that doing IF during times of stress would not be a good idea. Maybe that's why it works for some and not others....

Looking at the mind/body holistically when contemplating IF would be a good idea.