The PCOS Belly

Options
shantiface
shantiface Posts: 12 Member
Hi Ladies -

I'm new here and SO thrilled to see a PCOS group on MFP. I am about 5'6 and 157 lbs -- which may not sound so bad. I'm on the average/thin side everywhere but my BIG STINKIN PCOS BELLY!

Anyone else struggling with this or have tips for how to get this thing to go away?? My PCOS was diagnosed 10 years ago but (unfortunately) I ignored it until a few months ago, when I started on metformin 3x a day. Has Metformin helped anyone with belly fat/core fat in general?

I'm also looking for any new friends who want some mutual support and who know what it feels like to have to work extra hard to get those lbs off :)

Replies

• LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi there. The belly is from the insulin resistance from what I understand. Cutting back on your bad carbs (basically anything white) and sugars should help get rid of that. I took the metformin but never really noticed anything but an upset stomach all the time. You can always add me if you would like.
  • usfirefly
    usfirefly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello, I understand what you mean, I have PCOS too, and I do have the belly to prove it. I am 5'1 so fairly small, and I am still 169lbs so I am still overweight all the way arround, but The belly is the worst. I noticed since i started loosing weight, that the belly is probably the last thing to go... I look more and more pregnant the more weight I loose... So not cool!
    Anyways I hear you, you aren't alone with that. feel free to add me! I am here.
  • mrsburton8909
    Options
    Hi, I 2 have pcos and it is horrible. I found almost 3yrs ago which was 1yr after i was married. i realized something was wrong when i would constantly get painful stomach aches and i wasnt getting pregnant. like everyone else i have the pcos belly :(
    i gained weight all the around but mostly my stomach is protruding as if im 6mths pregnant. Please feel free to add me ladies!
  • pinkpanthers1995
    pinkpanthers1995 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Greetings - I don't post often in the groups as I don't see them on my phone - but after 12 plus years since I was diagnosed with pcos I am finally pushing myself to do something to improve my situation. I have the belly - which is slowly shrinking due to lots of exercise and eating better. It is a struggle and I do celebrate each loss even if it is tenth of a pound. It is a rough road and I think the only true way to overcome is consistency. This is difficult when the losses seem so small for so much work. I am always happy to cheer on others and anyone may feel free to add me. Standing together and fighting on we can win!
  • shantiface
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies, ladies... sounds like I just need to focus on the low carb option to get this puffy belly down.

I have to say, it is really hard when people around me are fit, healthy, working out and losing weight and I can't seem to do the same with the same amount (or sometimes more) work. For example, my best friend just lost 45 lbs and while i'm SO happy for her, all she had to do was cut calories and work out more. And she tells me I should just do the same...

but for us, it's more of a tricky balance of medication, low carb/sugar, AND exercise - so to have other people in the same boat as me is so valuable :)
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and a fatty lower belly, but I never felt they were related.

The metformin will not necessarily help you to lose any fat, it just helps your body to better metabolize the sugar/carbs you consume. So in essence, it will help you not to gain more than to help you lose.

I've been losing quite steadily just by watching my calorie intake (I don't do low carb, it's too hard for me since I'm not a fan of most meat, although I do limit my added sugar and refined carbohydrates and most doctors have suggested low carb diets), taking metformin, and exercising at least an hour a day (at least an hour every day is key to burning excess glucose in your system, any less than an hour is not effective in that regard.)

Since you said you're already at a healthy weight, I would just up your exercise and slightly limit your caloric intake and I imagine you'll see results.
  • Anglcndle
    Anglcndle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I've lost almost 30lbs and sad to say that I haven't noticed any loss on my belly! But I'm going to keep at it. It's got to go away sometime, right??
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Ugh - my belly is so awful! It's so bad, I finally just said to my doctor "Look at me - my arms and legs are not that fat - and look at this!" and grabbed my stomach. I feel like I always look pregnant. But the weirdest thing is that since I started losing weight, anything I have lost in the stomach has all been in the bottom part (below my belly button). So now I have this huge muffin top. Nice.

One thing I have found to work is lifting weights. I am not losing tons of weight quickly or anything but my body feels much better. It will improve your posture for one thing.
  • shantiface
    Options
    One thing I have found to work is lifting weights. I am not losing tons of weight quickly or anything but my body feels much better. It will improve your posture for one thing.

I'm trying small weights/high intensity interval training now, just 2x a week to see if that helps me at least lose some inches! Again, I would like to lose 15 lbs or so but am less concerned about the weight than changing my overall shape for the better. Glad you feel better too :)
  • shantiface
    Options
    I can relate. I've lost almost 30lbs and sad to say that I haven't noticed any loss on my belly! But I'm going to keep at it. It's got to go away sometime, right??

haha, that's what I keep telling myself! Congratulations on losing the 30, that is huge!
  • miranda_mom
    Options

I'm trying small weights/high intensity interval training now, just 2x a week to see if that helps me at least lose some inches! Again, I would like to lose 15 lbs or so but am less concerned about the weight than changing my overall shape for the better. Glad you feel better too :)

If you are looking to change body composition, lifting is definitely the way to go! You won't lose muscle but will be losing fat. It is the fat that causes problems for us (by helping to throw off the hormone balance) not the weight per se. So go for it!
  • kiarajhames
    kiarajhames Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and I have the BELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I been working hard to get rid of it. but one thing I have been doing is keeping a journal of my measurments each month and so far i lost 8 inches around my waist. so im making progress. good luck... u can add me to if you like
    9958090.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shantiface
    Options
    I also have PCOS and I have the BELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I been working hard to get rid of it. but one thing I have been doing is keeping a journal of my measurments each month and so far i lost 8 inches around my waist. so im making progress.
    9958090.png

AWESOME JOB! Wow. I need to invest in a tape measure :)
  • miranda_mom
    Options
    I also have PCOS and I have the BELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I been working hard to get rid of it. but one thing I have been doing is keeping a journal of my measurments each month and so far i lost 8 inches around my waist. so im making progress. good luck... u can add me to if you like
    9958090.png

That's amazing - what an inspiration!
    I haven't done measurements but I've done down one pants size and one shirt/dress size so far. In fact, the other day I accidentally bought a shirt in my old size and it looked like a tent on me. I had to take it back.
  • Faby30
    Faby30 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I am new to MFP (only been here since Monday) I was Diagnosed almost a year ago. We were trying to get pregnant for 6 months before I was diagnosed. I am on a 1000mg dosage of Metformin but I think it does nothing to my body.
    I did get pregnant about 2 months ago and unfortunately my pregnancy ended in miscarriage. It was a tough time for me and during those 4+ weeks I gained even more weight than what I had gained during the past year. Getting off birth control worsens the symptoms of PCOS. Being diagnosed really depressed me and of course made me gain weight. So the last few months have been all a combination of physical and mental battles all contributing to my belly fat and my PCOS.

I am now taking control of this and I doing a Paleo diet. I also do Crossfit 4-5 times a week and run 5ks a couple of times of week. I've only been doing this a week and so far so good!

I am hoping that this group, MFP, my crossfit regimen will help me with my weight and most importantly with my fertility struggle :)

Add me!
  • shantiface
    Options
    I did get pregnant about 2 months ago and unfortunately my pregnancy ended in miscarriage. It was a tough time for me and during those 4+ weeks I gained even more weight than what I had gained during the past year. Getting off birth control worsens the symptoms of PCOS. Being diagnosed really depressed me and of course made me gain weight. So the last few months have been all a combination of physical and mental battles all contributing to my belly fat and my PCOS.

I am now taking control of this and I doing a Paleo diet. I also do Crossfit 4-5 times a week and run 5ks a couple of times of week. I've only been doing this a week and so far so good!

I'm so sorry about your loss and how tough it has been but i'm REALLY proud of you for taking control. That is awesome!

Can you tell me more about your experience with crossfit? I really want to try it but i am SCARED!
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I totally get it! I went jean shopping tonight and nothing fit in the waist if it fit in the legs/ butt area. So sad! I also have diastasis recti from being pregnant with twins so I think my tummy is a lost cause.:cry:
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to be more of an hourglass, but in the past few years, it's going straight to the tummy, where I feel like I look preggers too! One thing I noticed is that if I avoid gluten and dairy, my stomach tends to be flatter and smaller. Probably related to bloating because of food sensitivities, but I've heard about PCOS women having issues with gluten and/or dairy, so it might be worth a try for some on this topic... especially if you get frequent stomach upsets or bloating frequently!
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin four years ago. It helped me lose about 30 pounds, but I was sick as a dog everyday. It was not the drug for me. Now I take prometrium and am taking it slower, but my body is MUCH happier.
  • Faby30
    Faby30 Posts: 2
    Options
    Crossfit is amazing! Every day is something new! The workouts are very intense! You can make it as hard as you can or as easy as you can, depending on how much you want to push yourself. I love the fact that the classes are small enough for a trainer to always watch you. Its like having a personal trainer every day!
    They dont just let you join, each gym has some sort of "onramp" class or classes so that they can prepare you for what is to come.
    I love it so far, its been two weeks and I feel amazing! Every day after a class I feel amazing. Best I have ever felt in a long time!

Also I have read many articles about the connecting of the Paleo diet (very common with crossfitters) and PCOS, I think I am going to try that next week, and see what happens :):happy: