New to Paleo!

Options
imwithgizmo
imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
Hi all! My trainer is doing Paleo and suggested it for me, as I was mostly there. I just took out the yogurt and rice/oat/wheat etc., and am hoping to get good results. I have about 38 more pounds to lose. More importantly, I want to increase muscle and decrease fat and any inflammation.

I've been reading a lot on the various websites & blogs, as well as your posts. It's actually very simple, isn't it? The hardest thing at first might be the omission of certain things, such as yogurt, but that's the only dairy I have been eating for months. The grains won't be too hard, but that wheat is hidden in so many things! So is sugar.

Anyway, I want to do this for 30 days and see how I feel.

I'm happy to have found this group!

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. Feel free to friend me if you have questions or want some insight. The best way to avoid hidden items in food is to shop the perimeter of the store.

Are you doing a Whole30 program to kickstart your journey? If not, you can still try out Paleo/Primal without making it so difficult, at least at first. What worked for me was to include dairy (known as Primal) but only in whole fat versions, raw milk if possible, and with limited sugar. This often means plain yogurt due to the insulinogenic effects of dairy.

Whole30 - http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/
    Primal Living - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome! I hadn't looked at Whole30, saw it but didn't know what it was. I'll go read up on that. I may float towards Primal, but I'm curious if I can enjoy the Paleo. Maybe I'll end up with a hybrid. I subscribed to Mark's Daily Apple, and really like reading his stuff.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Primal is Paleo with occasional dairy. So all Paleo fare is included in Primal.