Bonking,, Anyone experienced this?

Options
dwn2erth
dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
Wow yesterday's workout was rough I'm doing NR4LW.. Week 7 Stage 1 WO B.. I Bonked (I think that's the term) on my shoulder presses. I was up to 20# DB on each side. First set 12 reps next 3 sets I could only hit 7-8 reps... Anyone have experience with Bonking?? (Not to be confused with Boinking... ;-)

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't know what you mean.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what you were experiencing, but bonking is rather worse than what you describe...

It normally happens if you are not fueled enough and completely run out of energy - not to the point of exhaustion when you can't do another rep - , but further - you might pass out, throw up, get the shivers and be as weak as a baby until you get some sugar into you.

And never heard of it actually happining during strengh training - it's usually after running or biking seriously long distances...
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    (Not to be confused with Boinking... ;-)

That's exactly what it means in the UK. :-P
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Not sure exactly what you were experiencing, but bonking is rather worse than what you describe...

It normally happens if you are not fueled enough and completely run out of energy - not to the point of exhaustion when you can't do another rep - , but further - you might pass out, throw up, get the shivers and be as weak as a baby until you get some sugar into you.

And never heard of it actually happining during strengh training - it's usually after running or biking seriously long distances...

I can vouch for bonking from cycling. I have experienced it twice. And what is described here ^^^^ is accurate. It is not a good feeling.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wow yesterday's workout was rough I'm doing NR4LW.. Week 7 Stage 1 WO B.. I Bonked (I think that's the term) on my shoulder presses. I was up to 20# DB on each side. First set 12 reps next 3 sets I could only hit 7-8 reps... Anyone have experience with Bonking?? (Not to be confused with Boinking... ;-)

Ya, bonking usually used to describe endurance events where you've used up the muscle glucose, and now muscle must be broken down to take it's place, while fat is being burned.

Doing anaerobic lifting of course you do bonk eat point at failure, that's literally the problem, the ATP used for that type of effort is gone, no more energy. So you rest, muscles get the refill during the rest, and you do another set.

But in lifting that's called failure. Which is what you want to reach.

If this was unusual and you can usually do more sets or reps at that weight, you were tired, not refilled correctly, not repaired totally, ect.

If this was first time experiencing it, then congrats, you can now back off 5 lbs to finish the set and reps, but still hopefully to failure.
    That is indeed what you want, just to whatever point you are working towards.

Sounds like 4 x 12 in your case. I do 2 x 15. Some do 5 x 5. The point of all of them, is failure to hold good form on last rep of last set.

If that was your first time experiencing that, you should also be mighty sore tomorrow. And hopefully the program has in it NOT to work out those same muscles the next day. But if they are sore even the day after, rest then too. Sore is repairing - don't kill the repair.

And if you think that is bad, wait until you bonk in endurance event where muscle spasms is usually part of the fun too!
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

Ya, bonking usually used to describe endurance events where you've used up the muscle glucose, and now muscle must be broken down to take it's place, while fat is being burned.

Doing anaerobic lifting of course you do bonk eat point at failure, that's literally the problem, the ATP used for that type of effort is gone, no more energy. So you rest, muscles get the refill during the rest, and you do another set.

But in lifting that's called failure. Which is what you want to reach.

If this was unusual and you can usually do more sets or reps at that weight, you were tired, not refilled correctly, not repaired totally, ect.

If this was first time experiencing it, then congrats, you can now back off 5 lbs to finish the set and reps, but still hopefully to failure.
    That is indeed what you want, just to whatever point you are working towards.

Sounds like 4 x 12 in your case. I do 2 x 15. Some do 5 x 5. The point of all of them, is failure to hold good form on last rep of last set.

If that was your first time experiencing that, you should also be mighty sore tomorrow. And hopefully the program has in it NOT to work out those same muscles the next day. But if they are sore even the day after, rest then too. Sore is repairing - don't kill the repair.

And if you think that is bad, wait until you bonk in endurance event where muscle spasms is usually part of the fun too!

I had a summer tour ride that I didn't properly eat pre-ride for and paid the price. Also I was at 1440 calories at the time. At mile 45 I bonked. My arms were so weak I could not hold them on the break hoods any longer and my legs were not functioning. Yes, I called the SAG wagon. A lesson learned.