Knee issues

Options
From time to time I get pain in my right knee while doing working out. It's fairly tolerable, but I certainly don't want to do any major damage to it. Are those knee wraps and braces really any help? I was thinking of trying one to see if helped, but I'm on a very fixed budget and don't want to waste my cash. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    A brace or wrap would only hide some underlying issues that's causing the pain. Short of getting an assessment from a qualified professional, it's really hard to say what's going on. The pain could be stemming from issues below (ankle) or above (hip) your knee. Or there could be something locally at the knee joint that's causing issues.

A very general approach of increasing ankle and hip mobility as well as tissue quality in the thigh and calf muscles might do the trick. Might being the operative word, but it's where I'd start without knowing more.

Do you have a foam roller?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Bump and hijacking (sorta):

I also have right knee pain. Specifically, it occurs at the top of the knee and seems to reduce as I get very warmed up. I have to do a good 4-5 warmup sets before squatting and even then there is some mild discomfort on working sets.

I also have a foam roller, since you mentioned it above, just in case you have some general recommendation that would apply to myself and the above poster.

Thanks!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

I also have right knee pain. Specifically, it occurs at the top of the knee and seems to reduce as I get very warmed up. I have to do a good 4-5 warmup sets before squatting and even then there is some mild discomfort on working sets.

I also have a foam roller, since you mentioned it above, just in case you have some general recommendation that would apply to myself and the above poster.

Thanks!

I'm usually hesitant to go down this rabbit hole speaking about pain. I'm a firm believer that if there's ongoing pain, it should be looked at by a qualified professional. Which is one of the reasons I've spent a lot of time building out a network of chiros, therapists, and orthos that I can rely on locally here.

That said, many of my clients have complained of general knee pain and I've found that more often than not, it stems from terrible tissue quality of the leg musculature. For this reason, I'll have them foam roll, especially quads, adductors, and IT band, pretty much daily. I'd say 80% of the time this clears up the issue.

I simply add it into their warm-up and have them do it on their own the days they don't train with me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I'm usually hesitant to go down this rabbit hole speaking about pain. I'm a firm believer that if there's ongoing pain, it should be looked at by a qualified professional. Which is one of the reasons I've spent a lot of time building out a network of chiros, therapists, and orthos that I can rely on locally here.

That said, many of my clients have complained of general knee pain and I've found that more often than not, it stems from terrible tissue quality of the leg musculature. For this reason, I'll have them foam roll, especially quads, adductors, and IT band, pretty much daily. I'd say 80% of the time this clears up the issue.

I simply add it into their warm-up and have them do it on their own the days they don't train with me.

Thanks Steve!