Anyone have a love/hate w/ PUSH circuit

Options
flslp87
flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
I just finished my 3rd week of the PUSH circuit and haven't decided if I love it or hate it....While I do feel I am getting stronger I don't feel like I am losing weight nor do I feel I am losing inches.....just the opposite in fact. I almost feel like I am putting off the 5+ inches I took off last month.....anyone else feel that way?

Replies

• astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just finished week three of push as well and so far this is my favorite month. I like the challenge of it. As far as inches it's hard to say. I don't think I have really lost any. I can't tell much difference in my clothes at all.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I started Push this week and was surprised that I haven't had DOMS or the hunger like I had with the Burn phase. It's weird.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    interesting that you said that. I am just one workout shy of finishing push, and have been really depressed. I feel like the bottom half of my body has become bigger in the last month or so.....pants are actually tighter in the thighs and hips! and I have been maintaining for over 2 years! Yikes! Anyway, I didn't expect to lose weight, but I figured I would be burning and getting leaner on the thighs, not getting bigger.I love my arms, thanks to Push. Feel like my diet has been fine.But am thinking the "lean" phase coming up better be good and get rid of this problem......

I guess I'll reserve judgement but am very interested in the fact that you are having some similar questions.
  • flslp87
    Options
    Keep us posted.....I'm also looking forward to getting to that lean phase.....
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    enjoyed burn phase, LOVED push phase, not too fond of lean phase.

Burn phase is just a nice overall body workout that doesn't stress any area to badly. and works everything kind of equally.

Push is lower body, really heavy weights. (I like it because my lower body is strong)

Lean is upper body/core with lots of compound moves which can cause you to lift lighter weights than you would without the compound moves (I dislike it because my upper body/core is weak)

Which phase you like is usually in direct correlation to which part of your body is strongest. And it's normal to feel the tightness in the lower body with Push since you tend to really crank up those weights with lower body causing water retention to repair the muscle tearing. It's also not much of a leaning process in my opinion...more focused on building up the largest muscles in your body which helps burn the fat later. :)

Of course, this is strictly my observations....not necessarily the golden truth.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    so far i've actually really liked push. i already have really strong legs from insanity and running so i haven't really noticed any bulking up... i do like the challenge of heavier weights. but i feel like i have to be extra careful because the weights are so heavy to really mind my form. i am looking forward to lean phase although my upper body is definitely the weakest. maybe this will be a good thing for me.
  • flslp87
    Options
    One more day on the PUSH circuit before heading to Lean.....Friday will be the day and then this weekend weigh in and measure.....i wish my arms looked like janelle's and toni's though......nice definition....wonder how long it takes to get that kind of definition...
  • Robin1117
    Options
    One more day on the PUSH circuit before heading to Lean.....Friday will be the day and then this weekend weigh in and measure.....i wish my arms looked like janelle's and toni's though......nice definition....wonder how long it takes to get that kind of definition...

Looks like we are just a few days behind each other. I started Lean yesterday.....it was interesting. Not terrible at all. I was thankful for my P90x work prior to this because I can see all the core workouts I learned w/that program are going to help. I'm definitely sore today--probably because I didn't know what weights to use, because it was the first time, and this really hammers your triceps. Can't wait to see what is in store for Lean 2 tomorrow. I was a little disappointed she switched out Janelle and Toni and Skip....hopefully they'll be back in the other "lean" routines. Oh, and forgot to mention I did buy the "deluxe" workouts--although I'm not sure when I'm going to start rotating them in. Maybe this week or next......

I also have been rethinking my maintenance calorie level, and even though I think I'm ok on calories, just to be safe, I'm going down a little on my base. I hate to do that, but I really want to see results from this lean circuit, and I don't want my calorie intake to have anything to do w/it.....I usually eat well, but am going to be extra careful this month.

newhabit-well done on Push--and thanks for the reminder on form. None of us is allowed to get benched...so we have to stay safe! :smile:

jyska--thanks for your insights on the lower body exercises....am so hoping the bulking burns off in the next few weeks!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I thought that Push was fun, to see how much I could lift, and I thought Lean was a little awkward at first. Since starting P90x, I have tossed in some ChaLean, doing each of the Burn and Push workouts, and 2 of the Lean ones (each just once throughout the 5 weeks so far). They definitely feel short compared to P90x, less of a marathon, and heavier lifting. I notice how Tony does say that for women who want a lean look they should do lighter weights more reps. Opposite of ChaLean. I can't say I have seen dramatic changes overall, but feel that it is great to have more variety than just cardio, and I feel stronger.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    That's interesting, jyska. I've been feeling that Push is upper body intensive. I'm not getting a lot of DOMS in my legs, but man, I'm hurting in parts of my upper body I've didn't know I had! I guess that's the sign of a good workout: it hits everyone where they feel it most.
  • chojolitos
    Options
    WOW I really like the push phase. I liked so much that i did it for 3 more weeks:devil:

My weigh is the same:noway:

This is my last week, after that i will take a week off and I will star the lean phase.
  • flslp87
    Options
    Question for those of you who are already on your lean phase.....how much lower did you go w/ your weights? I don't want to feel like I waste a workout or two....

As for calories - man o man....this is a big issue w/ me....I started at 1300 cal but then I exercise and 'earn' back calories that I don't always eat and so my weight loss for that last 5 lbs is slow, slow, slow......
  • Robin1117
    Options
    Question for those of you who are already on your lean phase.....how much lower did you go w/ your weights? I don't want to feel like I waste a workout or two....

As for calories - man o man....this is a big issue w/ me....I started at 1300 cal but then I exercise and 'earn' back calories that I don't always eat and so my weight loss for that last 5 lbs is slow, slow, slow......

SO I have done Lean 1 and 2, and Chalene is pretty good at telling you what she uses and I judge it from there. I usally do what she is doing or slightly lighter, at least for the first time. On Lean 1, I mostly used 12 and 15, with maybe a few 20s..... Lean 2 I just did for the first time and I used mostly in the 15/20 lb range but then midway it switched to 10s and 5s....much lighter..you definitely won't waste your workout.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    what i have been doing in both burn and push is going a little below what chalene uses. so if she says 22.5 i will use 20, and so on. i'm pretty close to what janelle uses on most of them...