timing of taking protein

MrsAgi
MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
I know the book says to drink a protein shake straight after training, and all the protein powders make a big fuss about how quickly they get into your system, but does it really mater when I consume my protein? I've really struggled to get it up to the recommended levels, and as I work out late at night, and then cycle home, I don't feel like a shake just before bed..... Most days my protein is up over 100, but usually consumed throughout the day, with my last meal several hours before my workout.....

Replies

• bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    No! I thought the same thing that it matters. I prefer before my workout because it keeps me energized and it is something light. Try out which is best for you. The protein powder that I have is a slow digesting one. They told me the bet time to drink it is before bed??
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    I'm no help! I think the shakes are vile! I just eat something with protein after.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    As long as you meet your correct macros for the day it doesn't matter when you take it, protein shakes are not required they are just an easy way of meeting protein consumption, look at your protein over the whole day :happy:
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    As long as you meet your correct macros for the day it doesn't matter when you take it, protein shakes are not required they are just an easy way of meeting protein consumption, look at your protein over the whole day :happy:

^^^^ This!!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    ditto to whats been said but you also might want to consider your recovery window, a nutritionist friend posted about it once and it changed the way i think about my post-workout foods. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Nutrition1st/view/recovery-window-resistance-training-294124
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    When I met with my trainer this morning (first meeting before starting NROL4W on Monday) she said to be sure I consume protein along with some carbs (for example a protein shake and banana) within 30 minutes after lifting. That's when your muscles are craving protein and will more readily absorb it. She also said to drink half your body weight in ounces daily for water. Make sure you get good fats (avocado, nuts, etc.) daily.