Eggs and their varying values

NalaType2
NalaType2 Posts: 3 Member
I find it so frustrating that the food database has so many different conflicting values for eggs! Generic eggs, fried eggs, scrambled eggs - why do they vary so much? Isn't an egg an egg an egg?

Replies

• Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    They vary because the method of preparation varies. and so does the amount of fat. If I cook my own eggs, I use the raw eggs for the entry then add an entry for fats (or whatever else) I used to cook them in/with.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Just do it by the size of the egg, extra large, large, etc. If I use a large egg, and all I do is fry it up in some butter I will often use the "fried egg" entry. But the only difference between that and a large egg is that it typically adds a bit of fat from frying it. Really though, its so minor that it doesn't matter at all.
  • So when I'm scrambling them without adding anything except butter, the carb count should still be around 0 yes?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Pretty much. Eggs rock.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    The brand of jumbo egg I use, Pete and Gerry, has 1 carb per egg per the carton, so it does vary. Figure a half a carb for unknown brands since things under 1 carb, say .7, can be labelled 0.