Kind of a dumb question

glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
Do you really do this only 3 days a week? I am at the gym 5 times a week usually, and am a little bit OCD in that I like to do the same thing each time.

So, will it hurt to do it five times a week or should I keep to every other workout?

I've been doing a hodgepodge until today. My husband is coming with me and my book so he can look at the book and tell me if my form is correct, so I don't hurt myself.

Wish me luck. I suspect I'll need it.

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    As I understand it, you shouldn't lift heavy every day - 3 x a week is plenty to get stronger and give your muscles time to rest. I you lift every day you will either hurt yourself or just not get any stronger (depending on how determined you are to up your weights)....

If you still want to go to the gym daily, do cardio and not heavy lifting on the other days
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I would not do NROLFW heavy lifting 5 days/week. The book recommends 4x/week max, always with a non-lifting day in-between. You can do cardio on the non-lifting days though, and once you get into stages 2-5 where they call for HIIT, you can do HIIT + steady state cardio the day after you lift.

Heavy, total-body lifting 5x/week though is a recipe for injury and/or burnout. Plus, I don't think you'll make the same gains in strength that you will if you take the rest (non-lifting) days.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    I read in the book that 3 days a week is max.....maybe I missed it?

Anyways, you want to make sure you have at least one day in between each workout. I usually do some cardio or Pilates or Yoga in between my lifting days. The book even recommends Pilates or Yoga as a good fit with the weightlifting routine.

Don't forget....the recovery is the time your muscles need to repair (when you lift, you tear your muscles). That is where you are going to get the most improvements.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Don't lift more than 3x per week. Follow the program as written, the authors are experts, you're not. Body comp changes take place during recovery (rest days).
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    from what i know about exercise etc is, your body needs rest days in between to repair and grow...over training them ie 5 times per week is counterproductive. Rest days are just as important as training days.