Daily amount of sugar question....

Options
Hey all!!

I'm a newly diagnosed Type II diabetic learning the ropes. I have been advised to have no more than 60 grams of carbs per meal but am having an issue staying within the MFP recommendation of daily sugar. I don't eat your typical sweets and am always under on my carbs, what do I do? Here's an example of my breakfast today which put me at my max sugar for the day:

Breakfast Calories Fat Carbs Protein Sodium Sugar
Vanilla Almond Crunch (Bear Naked Fit) 120 3 22 4 10 4
Chobani Greek Yogurt 140 0 9 23 105 9
Pure Widflower Honey, 1 Tbsp. 60 0 17 0 0 16
Apple - Honeycrisp Apple, 0.5 Apple 50 0 11 0 0 9

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm also recently diagnosed.

I found that MFP was saying my sugars were high as well when I first started using MFP over a month ago. Asked a similar question and didn't get any replies! So I started to research it.

The UK RDA recommendation is 90g for women and 120g for men. The male figure is based on a 2500 calories diet. Just doing the simple maths shows my 1500 calories limit equals 63g. Now I don't know if this is correct or not, but, it was more than MFP had set he figure at ie. 50g so I manually adjusted the MFP figure to 65.

Plus now I've been doing this for six weeks, I don't worry about it too much as I am not eating any processed food so I know the majority my sugar is coming from good sources ie fruit

The one level I do try and keep low is my carbs, I too am trying to limit that to no more than 60g per meal and 30g per snack.

The one thing on your list I only take as a treat is honey, which I add to the fruit and fat free Greek yoghurt snack I make. I consider honey "empty calories".

Forgot to mention so editing post. My dietician told me not to eat "normal Greek Yoghurt" as it is full of fat. I have substituted this for fat free Greek Yoghurt in my diet which the dietician says is fine.. I only mention this as it looks like you have the normal version in your list.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    People used to believe that Diabetes came from eating too much sugar or was affected by eating too much sugar. Well, the second part of that statement is partially true, but only in so far as sugar is a carb. So are pasta, bread, potatoes, fruits, etc and they all affect us like sugar does. If you're controlling your carbs and your blood glucose readings are looking good, I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of "sugar" MFP says you should have.

The most important thing, from the diabetic perspective, is to control your BG readings. Test for a few days at one, two and three hours after your breakfast and see what your readings are. Share the findings with your doctor. If they're too high, try altering one thing and see what effect that has. Change one thing at a time so you can identify which thing causes a change in your readings. Unfortunately none of us can tell you "Yes eat this" or "No don't eat that" because each one of reacts differently to certain foods and can tolerate different levels of carbs.

It's the aspect of Diabetes that I find most frustrating because I like things to be clear-cut and well-defined. Heck, I'm an accountant - we live for logic, balance, and rules and Diabetes is pretty much the antithesis of this! But if you work at it, you will eventually find what works for you for now (expect it to change, too, because Diabetes also likes to keep us on our toes!). Just don't sweat the little things and keep your focus on your BG readings.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    LOL Cameo, I had to learn with close enough when I was an insurance auditor. I still like to balance my accounts to the penny but can deal with ball park numbers now. It was a long and hard road to reach that point.

I agree with Cameo, sugar is not evil, it is about watching carbs and testing testing testing. If you know your sugar is coming from fruit as opposed to junk then don't stress.