New, too

Hey all! Thought this would be about the perfect group for me. Seems to fit well!

I'm 34, back in school after having to give up my career for health reasons, and need to lose about 10 pounds for those same reasons. I'm on the Body by Vi program, but have been struggling with it. Too few calories to keep up with the high metabolic rate and the amount of motion in my life. I absolutely ADORE the stuff, though, so will be dropping to one shake a day and more solid food to get the calorie count up, and will see how that works.

Replies

• boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 361 Member
    Hi! I've done the Body by vi shakes but found the same thing and even though they are yummy, i found them very unfilling. I have since stopped them and only have them as a snack but only with the milk. If i use them as a meal replacement (only because i had extra left over) i added 1 cup of frozen fruit to it (about 60 cals) and a banana. I found this more filling for me to sustain especially with me being a fulltime student too. My classes start at 830 and go all day and i have 30-40 min drive in to town so these were good to sip on while driving in town. If you want to still do the shakes, add some spinach to it, i know it sounds gross but doesn't alter the taste at all and gives you a healthy dose of folic acid and fiber. It does make it a funky color but it does not alter the taste at all and will help sustain. Hope this helps. Nice to meet you :)

Jess
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Hi Jess!

I do the shakes big enough to fill a 24 oz. travel cup thingy with a straw. Almond milk, shake mix, and whatever else sounds good. Sometimes fruit, sometimes coffee and butterscotch pudding mix (the frappuccino recipe), sometimes pumpkin puree and spices... It all just depends. They're filling enough for me, but just not high enough calorie count.

I'm only in classes two days a week, but between that, volunteering at one of the museums, and trying to find a new job... They certainly are convenient.

Good to meet you, and luck in your classes!

Kristal
  • boberrymom
    Have u tried using skim milk instead of almond? Add a banana its 105 cals for a medium one or some peanut butter or both too that will bring up ur cals. I always plan my days the day before that way I know exactly what I'm going to eat and how many cals I'm gonna use. It takes a couple extra minutes but it helps so much. Good luck, nice to meet u. :)
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Skim milk makes me gag. Really! I grew up out in the country, and for a while we actually went out, milked the cow, and brought it in for use. Anything less than whole milk is unacceptable to me. So sticking with the almond milk, thank you. :happy:

One of the problems I've been having is the fact that I live in Florida. You would think that fresh fruit and such would be inexpensive - especially things like bananas, pineapple, things like that - but it costs more to ship foods here than just about anywhere else in the mainland US. Even the oranges are shipped in! That makes the prices rather insane. When granny smith apples are at over $1.80 a pound, bananas are usually around $0.70 a pound, oranges are $0.33 apiece...
  • boberrymom
    I hear ya on the prices of fruit, they are ridiculous for fresh. However I wish our prices were like that here, it is quite expensive for fresh. I've done a couple things to combat this. I buy frozen fruit, usually the europes best brand which is reasonable and i don't have to put ice in it. I also coupon which saves quite a bit of money. I have also bought fruit when its fresh on sale and made my own frozen especially for things like strawberries and blueberries which are only in season certain times and get very expensive shipped in. Even the store brand frozen fruit is less expensive....its the same thing, just make sure you compare the ingredients. The shake i found makes almost 1 litre of shake. Adding peanut butter may be a really good option for you in times that it is more expensive, you could also try adding flax or oatmeal to help sustain more, you will just have to leave the blender on a bit more.

And I understand the almond milk too, i mean that would be enough to turn me off too. :)