10/8 Hatter Chatter. And a challenge

Options

Replies

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    @snoozie - thanks - If it's late and I've closed the diary when I login in the next day - go back to the previous day and add...

@ Janet - yep - tiger moms unite

@ TA - my body HATES greasy :grumble: and over sweet food - "unless it's chocolate" :laugh:

See you all soon....

Carol
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    thanks for letting me know about the diary logs ladies!

Did pretty good on the veggie challeng today, but will try to up it more tomorrow and add a fruit or two as well.. hard to believe this month is almost half over already!! yikes! Will try to start a new thread in the morning for a new week.. :o) sleep tight Hatters!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the warm welcome! I'm just getting back, checking out comments and loving it! I'm looking forward to next week and participating more.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Good morning, to all…

Looks like everyone had a great week and weekend. Except for Tonya, Get well soon, Little one.

Anita and Janet, I am soooo proud for you two, dropping 2 lbs a piece…that is wonderful!!

I am hoping I can pull something close to 5lbs. ,by the endof the month. I’m trying to hold out till then to weigh…. I can tell some inches have tightened in a few areas…but that could mean I actually weigh more…….we’ll see…

Tammy, Whoohoo to you too, I almost forgot! 5 lbs!!!

Carol, Congratulations to your son for making Eagle Scout!! And to you, for making it through!! I am glad for the definition…I have wondered what PITA was, but didn’t want to keep bugging you with questions.

Janet, Sounds like a great idea for the clothes…I’m like Tammy( I think it was her ) , I probably wouldn’t have anything to contribute… Everything I have is pretty worn….and I don’t have many dress-up clothes….. I love them, just not much into actually wearing them.. a jeans and tee shirt kinda gal…

Kobie, I hope you are feeling better; you didn’t have the underbelly cut, did you? So maybe you’re not too hurtful….I thought I was going to die from that little 3 inch incision…I guess it was my belly weight pulling down on it that made it hurt so…

Tammy, can I get the recipes for those crock-pot meals??

Merobi, I haven’t made it to the store to try the muffins yet, but I will… I hope you’re having a great day!!

Welcome to our new members! Post us a note, anytime. Just jump right in…we love it!! Feel free to friend me if you want, and anyone else I may have missed..

Snoozie, I hope you are having a wonderful day…Is it back to work for you??/ Nights…ugh! I agree,,,10 - 7 would be my perfect work day!! Or maybe 3-11, since my child is out of school…

I am not having a lot of luck with my veggies; I just threw out a whole pot of collards..They were too strong and nothing would work…I tried it all, so the only thing left was to toss them out!! I’ll get some in this week, here at work..

Have a lovely day, everyone!
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Good Morning Hatters!

Little late getting up this morning; was up several times during the night (and ate an apple at 2am lol) but what a great wake up to see all the pounds lost this morning and over the weekend... Tammy, Janet, Adiane... big big congrats ladies!! Doing the happy feet dance ... you are working so hard and its so great to see the results for you!! :flowerforyou: Plus seeing your successes always keeps me inspired to keep going.. !

Time2 - you have been doing great with the stairs and making the small changes we're all striving for every day!! Sorry about the collard greens; I've never had them but I grew up on turnip greens LOL.. haven't had any for a while so thanks for the reminder!

I spent the afternoon cooking yesterday; one of the chicken dishes was so-so, one was good, chili and peppers/beef will get frozen down today and may make a big pot of soup altho im runnig out of room in the freezer - i bought a load of frozen veggies for the October challenge so I best be eating them up to make a little more room!

Welcome as well to the new members I see have joined; feel free to lurk awhile and see what's going on, or jump in anytime - we'd love to get to know a little about you! :laugh:

As you Hatters know, I'm trying to incorporate a few lower carb days a week into my days this month; not cutting out any food groups like grains or taties, just saving them for the higher days - but am learning certain veggies have higher carbs than others!! And high sugars in some... I discovered last week CABBAGE is huge in sugar (which is fine, I just need to make sure I eat it with a protein for my BG levels) but I could happily chow down on a bowl of it all by itself (yeah i'm a freak.. i love cabbage) :bigsmile: so it was a bit of a shock when I logged it to find out what I thought would be an excellent choice....would NOT have been a good snack on its own.. live and learn!! But really... who wudda thunk it about CABBAGE.. (it may become my word for the day just cause i like the sound of it...lol

I'm supposed to start nites tonite for a week, but am only going in for a few hours tonite (9pm to 1am) then took the next few off.. I'm a little worried to be honest, as nights are tough for me to start with now (after 28 years of shift work, they are no longer as appealing to me.. i think in part because my sleep is already scrwed up with menopause, and i dont sleep well on them anyway, and most importantly... my eating has always been horrible as I can't face tuna at 2am, or a bowl of broccoli for the first few nights until my body switches over... I haven't had to work them since I started at MFP as I always take my vacation weeks for em.. so I think I'm a little nervous about how my eating is going to go. I'll just have to take it one day (or night LOL) at a time...but I think that's why I took the first few off; I only have to get thru 4 of them instad of 7, and don't hit that shift for another 5 weeks ... so this one will be like a "trial run"... so heads up Hatters.. ignore any wailing or screaming you hear coming from my corner, but beprepared I may need a helping hand and a pair of glasses to find your lanterns on the path if I start to stray.

Oh...typing this directly and don't want to lose it so i'll post for now and hope it gets there.. Have a great week Hatters!! We WILL rock this month!!!!!
  • KateinND
    KateinND Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just want to say a quick Hello and introduce myself - I'm Kathryn, 55 yrs young, farming in ND with my husband and son. 4 grown children, 4 grandchildren. I've been reading the posts for a few days and you have such a wonderful group here, I'd just love to join in. I've just started the 21 days of no junk food group, so definitely we'll see the number of fruit and veggie servings go up as a result. Thank-you Snoozie and T2 for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to the comradery in being a part of this group.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    At request

Shredded Buffalo (sauce) Chicken in the crock pot  (you may want to compare sodium content of different sauces)

4 boneless skinless chicken breast 
    1 bottle of Franks Buffalo Sauce 
    1 Packet Hidden Valley Ranch Powder 
    2 Tablespoons Butter 

Throw the (frozen or thawed) chicken breast in the crock pot, top with 3/4 bottle of franks buffalo wing sauce, add packet of ranch powder. Cook on low for 6 hours. After 6 hours, shred chicken with two forks, add butter, stir, cover and cook for another hour to let the chicken soak up the sauce.  This can be ate on a bun, in a wrap, or in lettuce leaves. We ate it on flour tortillas with cole slaw on them for supper.

Most Amazing Pork Chops 

4 Bone in/Thick cut pork chops 
    1 can cream of chicken soup (healthy request)
    1 envelope onion soup mix 
    1 envelope dry pork gravy mix (low sodium if you can find it)
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth 

Directions: 
    1. First place the pork chops down in the bottom. 
    2. The remaining four ingredients will be mixed in a mixing bowl and then poured over the top of the meat. 
    3. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours. 
    When ready to serve I take 1/2 cup milk and stir in 1/4 cup flour until smooth then add it to the crock pot stirring until thick. I remove the chops for this. I served with white rice but also could be served with mashed potatoes.

Bourbon Pork with sweet potatoes

2 lb Pork loin
    4 sweet potatoes
    6 apples
    Mccormick Gourmet - Bourbon Spiced Pork Seasoning Mix, 1 container (12 tsp mix (3g) ea.)
    Package has number of sweet potatoes and apples but I added extra. For the rest follow package directions for putting together other than putting in over. For cooking I put in the crock pot left in fridge overnight. In the morning I took it out, plugged in, and cooked on low from 7 am until 5 pm. I removed the peeling from my apple slices and mashed them in the sweet potatoes and didn't add any butter to the potato, that was the first time I have ever eaten sweet potatoes without butter !!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Tammy!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hiya Kathryn and welcome to the Mad Hatters!!!

AWESOME move on the junk food free decision!! Well done you!!! How's it been going for you?? We wilsupport and encourage you along the way and share a few laughs!! Any particular junk that's a real toughie for you (mine is potato chips and we have a few other items in the Hatter "emotional eating ed to send us here" category.. we're working on changing our habits, making small changes every day in what we eat or how we move our bodies, and learning a lot about ourselves and what led us to this point along the way - glad to have you with us!:flowerforyou:

TA: Thanking you for the recipes!!! I'm thinknig you were back to school today... were they hellions or angels awaiting ya? :devil:

Time2: I know you were worked off your feet today; hope you get some down time tonite!

Tonya poor little punkin... hope the meds work soon and you are feeling yourself again.. miss ya!

I am heading in to work for just a few hours but claiming an IPOM (AN ACRONYM FOR I'm Proud of Me moment for the new peeps)..

I ate lunch late at home before going to the meeting, so I wasnt at all tempted to order anything except a cup of tea to sip on.. even the plate of fries next to me weren't calling to me because i was stuffed with squash and beef LOL.. and was starving by the time I got home, but because i PLANNED ahead (notice that TA?? I planned....!! I'm working on it!!) I had cooked up the squash and a baked potato this morning, and had all the chicken cooked yesterday, so a quick nuke and dinner was ready in five min! IPOM!! :bigsmile:

altho I have to say ladies.. I thought there would be cake at 100 days. They told me there would be cake. and I was hoping for carrot cake so I could claim another veggie for today... :sad:

haaaaaaaaa KIDDING!!! Have a good night, Hatters... see ya tomorrow!!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    @ snoozie....

working my way thru the leftover veggie / fruit platter from Brian's ECoH....

and I also have cake leftover ... chocolate.... for those "cravings"

smile - it make them wonder what you're up to....

Carol
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Snoozie, had one more day off so its back Tuesday. I got lots done and am hoping the changes will again move things in a better direction. YES, I am very proud of you for planning ahead as we are learning its the little things that become habit that make big changes in the journey !!!

The husband is on a road trip for more schooling until Thursday so today I made Chicken/Cauliflower (replaces carb potatoes)/Carrots/ Mushroom/TomatoCelery/ /Noodle soup. I use a cup of skim milk with 1/4 cup flour to thickin the stock after its done. When serving I add a dollop (1tbs) of sour cream per bowl. The total calories is 98 calories and 12 carbs. We are learning to season individual bowls after cooking and that keeps the sodium down. Some nights I add shredded cheese. I have the recipe saved and just go in a change according to each cooking so that I have an accurate account of calories and things. So I have lunch and supper made for tomorrow also. Think this helped me hit the 9 veggies/fruit again today !!! going to have to make grocery store run on the way home tomorrow for more.

The girls are enjoying a 321 Mug cake. I have to say while these are not a lot of cake (teaching portion control early) sure fit the dessert section when wanting cake without having to cook a whole cake that has to be eaten !!!

Well everyone enjoy Tuesday and remember keep trying each day !!!

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, " I will try again tomorrow" ~~Mary Anne Radmacher
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have invited a friend to join our wonderful group. Her name is Diane. She goes by the handle 'chunkndunk'. Let's all give her a warm welcome when she comes aboard!

I've been watching y'all, lurking and enjoying all the posts. Just plugging along. No great changes here. Keep gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. Gotta get back solid so I can continue my downward path! Have been walking at least 3 miles on most days. Joined a FB group called Just Do 2 (JD2) asking members to get some exercise every day for 100 days to start.
    Every day. “Just Do Two.” Two what, you say?
    • Run 2 miles, Walk 2 miles, Run 2 half miles, Walk 2 half miles, Swim 2 Laps.
    • BE CONSISTENT. EVERY DAY. IT’S ABOUT CHANGING OUR LIFESTYLE.
    • We recognize that if it was easy, we wouldn’t need each other.
    • It’s hard to be consistent, I need you.
    • WE ARE COMMITTED TO SUPPORTING EACH OTHER.
    • LET’S DO IT TOGETHER!!!!

I am on day 28 with just one day with no exercise. Very supportive group like the hatters! Keeping me accountable! Love this new lifestyle. Just need my body to start losing again!

Have a great night all you Hatters!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, " I will try again tomorrow" ~~Mary Anne Radmacher
    TA-I love this quote that you posted. Its a great reminder that yesterday's gone and we just need to move forward today! Last night I sought comfort in 3 bowls of corn pops! a crunchy sugar fix. I was so tired and I let worry about family issues wash over me. But as TA reminds us, that was yesterday and I don't need to beat myself up over it, just move forward.
    Falling asleep at 9pm, made it easier to get up for my 6am Body Pump class this morning and I was rewarded with a crisp fall morning with lots of stars in the sky. I never see as many at night because of the ambient lighting. Next week they are adding a new class on Wednesday mornings at 6-those kettle things. Has anyone tried them? I was concerned about doing 2 days in a row of strength training, but the Body Pump teacher said that the kettles worked the muscles differently and that would not be an issue. I am posting this to give me courage to go through with a new class,
    Yesterday I got to 6 fruits and vegetables unless you count each bowl of Corn Pops as a serving of corn (remember when we were kids they were more honest they just called them Sugar Pops)
    Hatters have a great day!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    "Don’t eat anything your great-great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.” :laugh:

Morning Hatters!

I see we have a couple of new members this orning; just wanted to say welcome and feel free to lurk for a while, or pop in and say hello anytime you feel comfy - we'd love to get to know a little about you and share a few laughs on our journeys!

I had a great day yesterday mentally and physically; but I've been thinking a bit about my dive bomb into the chips and pizza on the weekend; it followed right on the heels of my first loss of pounds in 3 months, and I know we've tgalked about the self sabotage habits of yore before... but it rocked me a little because I thought omg here I go again... but I realized that at least this time, I dind't STAY in the emotional eating world, or do the old mind game of "oh well I've screwed it up anyway, so might as well keep going and pig out". I went back to my "new" normal way of eating the next day, and I think in some small way my mind has finally turned the corner,into the "it really IS a lifestyle change...and I no longer have to panic or throw in the towel when al old habit rears its ugly head - and I'm hoping it's a bit of a break through for me. Trying to break free of those emtional eating habits is very tough (as well all know) because it's so deeply ingrained in most of our heads (or subconscious?) after all these years.. but it feels good to know, to reallybelieve today.. that I'm making progress with the mental aspects of changing habits :bigsmile:

Hope all the Hatters have a great day!

Patrice: awesome on the JD2 challenge... you GO GIRL!!

TA: Yay on getting the veggie challenge in with those great dishes!! Too funny, I was just thinking about the 123 mug cake yesterday (when I wanted to know where my 100 day cake was LOLOL) Good luck with the munchkins today!

Carol: god bless leftovers, eh? Thanks for the reminder, I did good on the veggies yesterday but repeated some for lunh and dinner so I will have to grab some raw eggies to chomp on to change it up a bit

Tonya: sure hope the meds kick in soon and you're feeling better.. we miss ya but take care of yourself!

Time2: sounds like you had a crazy busy day yesterday - hope today is a little less hectic for ya!

I was looking at the group number this morning and saw we have 64 members...... hope some of you who've been with us from the start feel comfy enough at some point to pop out and say hello :bigsmile:

I have to decide between finishing the cleaning of this pit, or attejmpting another visit to the "dress house of horrors" - not sure I've recovered enough from the last trauma to try it again today....but.... I'm kinda running out of time LOL... oh well.. there's always tomorrow.. hee hee later, Hatters!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Janet - great minds think alike... absolutely right about not needing to beat ourselves up anymore; just hop right back on the path where we were! And yes.. I think corn pops absolutely count as a veggie LOL..

i have no experience with the kettle things but I know a lot of peeps at my work who use them.. the only thing I've "heard" is that FORM absolutely counts; you really have to do the "swings" right as the momentum has to be controlled by using your muscles.. sowwy I can't help.. but huge IPOU on getting to the body pump this morning - any sign of the interloper in front of you this time?? Do we need to do a Hatter intervention or do you have the place to yourselves again? :o)
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I read everyone's posts yesterday and intended to respond to them all. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember who said what by the time I finished. Remember the old poster: "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"?
    Snoozie- Your quote about not eating food your grandmother wouldn't recognize reminds me of a friend who is a microbiologist. She says not to eat anything that doesn't attract flies. It isn't *real* food. I've tried this with processed cheese in the plastic, individual wrappers. Sure enough, flies won't even land on it. So flies have a purpose after all!
    HairsprayHon- Good to hear from you. So you're from Belair - I was wondering if you were from Hamden- home of the HonFest! I'm from Howard County, MD
    I took a short drive today. It's two weeks since surgery and I'm officially allowed to drive. Now I'm taking a nap. Every move leaves me exhausted. I'm clawing my way back. I don't remember who asked, but I had a lap procedure, so no incision or bandages.
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Snoozie- I know hat you mean about being rocked by your own behavior, and good for you for recognizing your mindset shifting.

I must admit I have been discouraged lately. My body doesn't seem to want to lose more than the 20 pounds, or even stay at that (it likes 18 or 19 pound loss better). I have Metatarsalgia - Ball of the Foot Pain from exercising and have spent a fortune on trying different shoes for it, and now my latest $160 pair have apparently gotten up and walked out the door as they are nowhere to be found. It seems like I am losing everything but weight. And My arthritis flared mightily when the weather shifted, and no matter how much yoga I do (did you know a session is 90 minutes?), I'm still quite stiff, but at least the pain has subsided as the weather settles down.
    I know this is nothing but whining, but hopefully it is OK to vent with my fellow mad hatters.. I feel like have an angel who whispers one thing on my right shoulder and a devil who whispers another on the left. Thing is, I know there is no real choice but to persevere as my former ways, while seemingly more fun, were absolutely ruining my health, which is no fun. So thanks Hairspray for the quote Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, " I will try again tomorrow" I also need to remember that I am making a lot of good choices and am overall feeling much healthier. So here's to continued good choices and a healthier lifestyle :-)
  • KateinND
    KateinND Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! It's a nice warm October day in ND – and everyday in October we don't get snow we're happy

TA, your chicken/veggie/noodle soup sounds very tasty. I never think to add fresh mushrooms and most of the time I'm just doing a clear broth. I definitely will be trying a soup with the ingredients you have listed.

Hi Patrice, fascinated with the Just Do 2 concept, thank-you for sharing, because I need some ideas in getting my exercise in each day. And good job in sticking with it for 28 days.

Hairspray, we have Golden Puffs - “wholesome and nutritious puffed wheat”, first ingredient is sugar. I have justified having a bowl or two in the evening because the package says it's wholesome and nutritious for me! I love that you climb out early enough to make a 6 AM exercise class. I'm like a bear – as the daylight becomes less and less I have less and less motivation. Hence why I need everyone here.

Snoozie, enjoyed reading your thoughts about your 'dive bomb' and I am very happy for you on the conclusions you were able to come to. Awesome stuff!

Kobie, I haven't read all of the past posts, but I do wish you well on your recovery. Sucks when your body doesn't cooperate and let you do all the things you want to do.

Have a blessed day everyone and good luck with whatever challenge you face!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Hubby is bringing baked ziti (left over) and not that good - to his work tomorrow - so one less carb in the house...:laugh:

Still working thru the veggies and fruit.. and sausage and meatballs..... will be creative... and have sausage / eggs for dinner tonight.....:)

Nobody is allowed access to the cake except for me... :noway: and Jr since it was his day.. and his metabolism can handle it....

Turkey sandwiches are gone....

Leftover rolls are being saved for November stuffing....

And the brandy alexanders have been wonderful....."smiles" - just what the doctor ordered... will be having the ice tea at a later date....

And tomorrow night gym (dreadmill) is on the schedule....

Gotta get back to normal.....

See you soon....

Carol
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    By the way - since I'm a Leo - love the "roar" quote...

Tiger (Lion and Bear) Moms Unite!