Qustion for the menfolk on lifting

glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
My husband has decided to go to the gym with me. He wants to do lifting too. He's disturbed that over the years his strength seems to be going down, since his job is not very physical these days.

He hasn't done that before, so what is the best reference out there for a beginner man?

I am using NROLFM, but him not being a woman, it's probably not quite right for him.

Thanks!

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    NROLFW, NROL, NROLF ABS, NROLF Life all are based on the same concept and pretty much have the same exercises (upper, core and lower body work). No reason he can't do any of the programs as long as he uses good form and appropriate weight (if you have the paperback page 134 ).
    He could also look into Stronglifts 5x5, Google it , free on line.
    Or use this web site for other options:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/more.html

:flowerforyou:
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Everything Plumsgrl said.. even though I never read or even looked at stuff for NROLFW most of the weight training isn't geared toward female or male.. he may need to increase his weight that he lifts but the form and movements are the same for both male and female.. Now some of the exercises they have you do may be more female oriented and he could skip those but the ideas are the same..
    You will lose muscle over time if you are not using them, just part of the game so I would probably have him follow what your doing (at a higher weight) until he is more comfortable doing other things that he may of used to do.. And there is no reason why if he chose to do stronglifts or something more male oriented, that you can't do them either.. Just lift heavy, and lift correctly and it will benefit both men and woman.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    My husband has decided to go to the gym with me. He wants to do lifting too. He's disturbed that over the years his strength seems to be going down, since his job is not very physical these days.

He hasn't done that before, so what is the best reference out there for a beginner man?

I am using NROLFM, but him not being a woman, it's probably not quite right for him.

Thanks!

He should be fine using NROL4W. My husband tried to do one of my exercises and he couldn't make it through using my weights. :laugh: He won't go to the gym with me now! If he won't be intimidated by following you and doing what you do, then drag him along! The program is great for anyone. If he doesn't want to do the same thing, set up a meeting with a trainer who can help him develop his own program.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    The best thing he can do is go on bodybuilding.com and start up one of the 8 or 12 week beginner programs.
    Very easy to follow and simple technique.
  • glwerth

Thanks!

He should be fine using NROL4W. My husband tried to do one of my exercises and he couldn't make it through using my weights. :laugh: He won't go to the gym with me now! If he won't be intimidated by following you and doing what you do, then drag him along! The program is great for anyone. If he doesn't want to do the same thing, set up a meeting with a trainer who can help him develop his own program.

It's funny. He's not at all weird about that. He wants to support me and have some more time together, so we'll both be hitting the gym at 5 am when he's home regularly.

Training should only be about two more months, then he gets to sleep in his own bed most nights! YAY!

I told him that by then, I'll be way ahead of him on how much weight I can handle. He laughed.
  • glwerth
    The best thing he can do is go on bodybuilding.com and start up one of the 8 or 12 week beginner programs.
    Very easy to follow and simple technique.

Sent him a link and he'll take a look at it tonight, since there isn't much fun to be had in a hotel room in central Missouri. :)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    I think the for women part of the NROL4W is really about reps and rest periods.

Men do better with less reps and more rest between sets, apparently women do better with more reps and less rest (at least, this is what i've gotten from articles I've read).
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member

Men do better with less reps and more rest between sets, apparently women do better with more reps and less rest (at least, this is what i've gotten from articles I've read).

The book maybe about that to get you started.. however there is this idea that women should be doing more reps at less weight to tone and not bulk up, and therefore guys lift heavy weights with less reps to bulk up.. This is a big myth.. Guys and Girls should be lifting heavy and with less reps to see the best results.. only thing more reps does is help with endurance but if your looking to get those muscles showing you need to lift for power.. your not going to wake up one day looking like a body builder and you sure aren't going to do that on a deficit.. So guys/gals lift heavy with less reps and less rest and to failure to see best results. (my opinion obviously)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member

The book maybe about that to get you started.. however there is this idea that women should be doing more reps at less weight to tone and not bulk up, and therefore guys lift heavy weights with less reps to bulk up.. This is a big myth.. Guys and Girls should be lifting heavy and with less reps to see the best results.. only thing more reps does is help with endurance but if your looking to get those muscles showing you need to lift for power.. your not going to wake up one day looking like a body builder and you sure aren't going to do that on a deficit.. So guys/gals lift heavy with less reps and less rest and to failure to see best results. (my opinion obviously)

I agree with you, I don't believe women should stand around pumping pink weights 100x100 ;) I think what I read was something like, men do better with 7-8 reps a set and women do better with 8-10. Not a huge difference. The NROL4W actually mixes it up, some stages you are 8x2 sometimes 4x4, etc. I think it does a great job working on all aspects.