explain dumping or dumping syndrome?

Options
Ive heard the term but dont understand it. Can anybody explain?

Replies

• smokeywolf57
    Options
    basically if you eat or drink something your pouch does not like I would say with in 5-10 minutes your either going to rush to the bathroom throne to sit with very runny stools or you will upchuck

that is it in a nutshell
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I haven' experienced it, but it is supposed to be a reaction to food or drink either high in sugar or fat. I believe it is also because it goes straight through your pouch and into the small intestine. There are much more detailed explanations out there, obviously, but I just plan on staying away from excess sugar and fat. It's one theory I don't want to test.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    I dumped my first week from my protein shake, it was orange cream meal replacement shake and I never want to go through that again.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I haven' experienced it, but it is supposed to be a reaction to food or drink either high in sugar or fat. I believe it is also because it goes straight through your pouch and into the small intestine. There are much more detailed explanations out there, obviously, but I just plan on staying away from excess sugar and fat. It's one theory I don't want to test.

together with high sugar and fat foods, dumping can be caused by ANYTHING your pouch doesn't like.

for me, eggs give me the worst case of dumping EVER!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I think one of the most important things I am getting out of this thread is to NOT try anything new unless you are in the comfort of your own home!! I am going to remember this.....it could be disastrously embarassing!!
  • Christopher4WeightLoss
    Options
    I have also found out that by eating too fast, or not chewing to an apple sauce consistency can also cause Dumping Syndrome for me. I have had Dumping syndrome three times since my surgery in July 16th 2012. It is the worst experience ever. Chest pain, nausea, excessive saliva, the "foamies", rapid heart rate,difficulty breathing, and eventually "talking to Ralph on the big white telephone" - vomiting. The three times that I have experienced dumping syndrome,after vomiting, I felt better immediately. The first and second time were the worst, I tried to hold off from vomiting. But the third time I knew I better just go get it over with and save all the pain. LoL
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    That happened to me once also. I had one tiny piece of food that I had not chewed enough. After fifteen minutes of agony and near vomiting, it came back up. It was a surprisingly tiny piece, surrounded by a huge volume of completely clear fluid. Oddest thing I have ever seen, nothing at all like regular vomit. The clear stuff was so thick it was nearly impossible to pick up. It was like a sci-fi movie prop. I was better immediately also, and have been careful enough to make sure it hasn't happened again.

I checked with my surgeon, and he said just to be careful, but that it wasn't dumping syndrome. He said dumping syndrome has to go through you. This was just bad chewing. But it was truly horrible, whatever they want to call it.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    I dumped my first week from my protein shake, it was orange cream meal replacement shake and I never want to go through that again.I'm 5 months out and just experience it this week for the first time.I hope not to go through this again.........smh
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty lucky, I've gotten fairly I'll only a handful of times but have never flat out had the dumping syndrome.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I, too, have had very little dumping... and I was sort of counting on some to act as aversion therapy. I have had issues with a too full pouch... or food sticking (feeling like it's stuck in your eosophagus), and forcing a throw-up which was little more well chewed food and gastric juices... very mild and had to stick a spoon handle down my throat... once it was clear, i was fine. I have, however, had a few incidents of dumping the "other" way and it usually occured about 2-3 hours after eating. Feels like a bad case of diarhea, with lower abdominal cramps and a few trips to the toilet. Again, once you've emptied your bowels you're fine.

I found that fatty foods are what cause dumping for me... just know that after evacuating the bowel so extensively, you may not have a bowel movement for a day or two, as there is nothing left in the bowels.
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too have had a few cases of dumping syndrome. I had something made with brown sugar Splenda in it and it just about sent me to La-La land. I felt dizzy, flushed, hot, excessive saliva (I felt like I was foaming at the mouth) and nauseous. It is nothing I want to experience again. I didn't throw up or have loose stools. I thought something was really wrong and I called my Doctor and was told it was "Dumping" from the brown sugar Splenda. I have never had this Splenda again. The white Splenda doesn't effect me like the brown did.
  • sgmcat
    sgmcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is what I am doing. I dont want to test it either.