Anxiety (Slight Vent)

Elissalove
Elissalove Posts: 22 Member
I've been slacking :( I didn't do any weight lifting ALL weekend lol.

I can't wait to get back there tonight, because I finally mustered up the courage to use the squat rack during my last A workout and squatted 75lbs! So today I'm definitely going to up it to maybe 85lbs because I'm not feeling very tired after squats (even though I'm sweating like CRAZY.) My step-ups still suck, but I'm finally using some weights.

I feel...weird. I like weight lifting, a lot. I like having my alone time with my headphones and not worrying about dying on the elliptical...but I am not used to eating so much. I'm trying to stay away from the scale, but I'm so worried that I'm just eating too much and I'm gaining tons of weight and I just can't see it (it snuck up on me last time.) I wish I had a nutritionist/personal trainer lol. I shouldn't be so anxious, but I feel as if all of these people are seeing amazing results (fairly quickly) and NOTHING works for me. Perhaps it's because I haven't been diligently at this for very long...

I just wish I knew I was doing the right thing. I mean, I'm being healthy and working out and that's the right, healthy thing for my body. The best thing I can do for it. I just want to also reap the superficial, physical benefits as well. I feel SO far away form my goal. I've literally been within the same 5lbs for 2 YEARS, if not more. It's so frustrating. I know I'm not a special snowflake and I'm not the first person to struggle, but I feel so lost.

/anxiety rant

Just had to get that all off my chest.

Replies

• gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    I hear ya!

when I started on MFP I tried the 1200 a day-eat back cals way to do things and was a raving b!tch. so I changed up cals and then when I found NROL4W I used the formula in there. I have been eating between 1620 and 1720 for most of the month that I have been on here and have lost 10 pounds. Point being that the higher cals have worked for me.

now I am starting with the lifting and for the past week or so I have been concentrating on upping my protein. I am scared too but I have to trust that it will work and I have to give it time. believe me it scares me too. :) hang in there!
  • Elissalove
    I hear ya!

when I started on MFP I tried the 1200 a day-eat back cals way to do things and was a raving b!tch. so I changed up cals and then when I found NROL4W I used the formula in there. I have been eating between 1620 and 1720 for most of the month that I have been on here and have lost 10 pounds. Point being that the higher cals have worked for me.

now I am starting with the lifting and for the past week or so I have been concentrating on upping my protein. I am scared too but I have to trust that it will work and I have to give it time. believe me it scares me too. :) hang in there!

I eat 1800 calories a day, and I started at eating 1500 and I've been at this for a month and I'm pretty sure I've lost NOTHING. It's just...discouraging. I don't know what's right for me, if I'm doing the right thing.
  • ezavora
    ezavora Posts: 59 Member
    Keep in mind that you are most exchanging fat for lean muscle mass and the scape will not reflect this. Take pictures NOW and measure with a tape. I have been eating 1750 cal (up from 1350) for a month now and have lost only 2 pounds. BUT, I have a pair of pants that used to be uncomfortably tight and now the feel good to wear. Plus, Ive had people come up and tell me I "look good and have lost weight" Normally I would not think 2 pounds would make that much of a difference, but with the body changes they do!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    You're not going to lose a discernible amount of weight on this program, just get that through your head now. You'll lose body fat and you'll lose inches, but the scale just needs to go in the garbage. You're going to have to gauge your success by how you look, how you feel, and how your clothes fit. I only lost 6 lbs start to finish, but my body has absolutely been transformed!!! I'm telling you now. If you want to do this program for real, eat a maintenance and throw your scale away. If you must weigh yourself once a month at the gym, or better yet just wait for your next Dr. Appointment.
  • Elissalove
    I don't weigh myself. I just happened to one day because I was calculating how much I needed to eat. I just...don't see or feel any changes (besides getting stronger, which rocks.) It's all mental. Slow & steady.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    What is really weird, is what works/ didn't work for you once might work for you another time. Once you think you get things in order, things will change, it's just life. You need to continuously change to survive. You might be all about weights once year, and the next training for a marathon. It's not really about what you are doing, but how your body looks while you are doing it and how you feel. ;)