When did you start gaining weight "from muscle"?

Options
I've been doing the program for 2&1/2weeks, and have also been eating the calories the book said, about 1800, which is more than I was eating before. I've gained about 3 pounds, just a steady gradual gain over the past few weeks. I feel like its way too early to see weight gain bc of building muscle? Am I wrong there, does it start this early? I feel like it's just the extra calories I'm eating. when did you start to see weight gain that you think was due to muscle growth?

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    that small gain is most likely water weight, consider yourself lucky if you gain 2lbs of muscle in a month, its VERY hard for women to gain muscle as easily as men, if anything you can expect your weight # to stay the same but your body will look different because your body composition is changing.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I believe that you gain fat and muscle, and not that quickly.

Here is an article written for men, so for women it would be significantly less:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    From my personal exprience.....When I started heavy weight lifting I gained about 10lbs total. 3 the first week, 2 the second and 3 the third etc.... By the end of the month it was about 10lbs total.BUT......I can assure you it was not from muscle. It was mostly water retention. And all the extra protien I was eating. After about a month, I then started to see the scale go back down slowly. I took about 2 1/5 months for me to start seeing a change in my body. My clothes are fitting better and I'm losing inches.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    From my personal exprience.....When I started heavy weight lifting I gained about 10lbs total. 3 the first week, 2 the second and 3 the third etc.... By the end of the month it was about 10lbs total.BUT......I can assure you it was not from muscle. It was mostly water retention. And all the extra protien I was eating. After about a month, I then started to see the scale go back down slowly. I took about 2 1/5 months for me to start seeing a change in my body. My clothes are fitting better and I'm losing inches.
    [/quot
    Thank you for sharring. I was up 5 pounds in the begining I'm on workout 6 stage one and finally dropped two of the pounds. My measurments are up just a little all over. This could cause a lot of ladies to quit.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I happened upon this topic. I am only in my second week and have gained three pounds since last week, up six from the beginning of the month! Ugh. Shocking. All I can say is I won't be waiting around until stage six for the weight to come off. Kudos to reneelee for sticking it out.
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My husband hid my scale until I start cutting. My measuring tape is taking the place of my wishy washy tear and fit inducing scale.