Sugar free sweets

Options
wfte
wfte Posts: 195 Member
Anyone know what they use in sugar-free sweets, assuming they haven't just left the sugar out?

Not that it's something I would indulge in regularly but was thinking about it as an occasional option.

If they've gone using nasty stuff in it (HCFS) or similar it'd probably be better to take the sugar hit from real sweets if only in small quantities and infrequently.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Diabeticfriendly.com has a database of today's most common candies and junk food and... it gives a complete list of ingredients of the product you are looking up...
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Artifical sweetner. It's not something I would overindulge in. But... I have before.

First off, it completely tears up your stomach for a while if you overindulge too much. Plus, I've heard it has a lot of chemicals in it. But.... I"m not sure about this.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lots of different sugar free sweeteners around and they are not all the same. Even the same brand can be different in form. Splenda spoon-for-spoon vs liquid Splenda vs Splenda packets vs Splenda tablets, etc. All have different carb counts and features/snags.

I like Splenda for cooking, Davinci syrup and Natvia (Stevia blend).

Some folks have extreme reactions to Maltitol, some people get blood sugar spikes that don't affect others. Some people can eat any of them. Chewy/gooey things often contain Maltitol, not all sweeteners can produce that kind of "sticky". Most of the spoon-for-spoon replacements are higher carb than something which is smaller in size (1/8 of a spoon to a spoon). Liquids are often lower in carbs, but will mess up recipes made for dry ingredients.

Don't bake with Nutrasweet/Equal or anything that's not heat stable (or put it in coffee).

Go easy, small serves of anything and don't add a whole bunch of different things in one week, if one stalls you, you'll never figure out what it was.

Stevia is a plant, but how it's processed is very different. If you're after something pure, grow it :)

-- Safety
    Xylitol is highly toxic to dogs. I'd keep it away from cats too.
    Never breathe in any of the powdered sweeteners, just like flour, they don't belong in your lungs ;)

Just because it's sugar free, doesn't make it carb free or even something you should eat.
  • wfte
    Options
    Some I looked at had carbs listed and were sugar alcohols. I read these are on as don't trigger insulin but sure i remember reading a bit of debate about whether they were ok or not.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I don't think you can exclude sugar alcohol carbs if you are looking to stay in Ketosis.
    I think they are part of a ploy for brands like Atkins to sell diet foods.
    I know that when I eat "low carb bars" I stop losing like I do when I don't eat them.
    Here is a forum I read about this- it inspired me to cut out the low carb bars altogether, and I have lost weight much more easily since. I have also stayed in ketosis according to my urine screens.
  • wfte
    Options
    The idea only came to me as a once every blue moon idea but rapidly going off it. Still drinking Pepsi Max too but want to quit that. Starting to think although these products may not cause an insulin response, they do continue to feed a sweet tooth. Im thinking the best thing is to cut it all and hopefully it kill off any desire for sweet foods.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I subtract Fiber but I do not subtract sugar alcohols or glycerine. I count them as carbs.