New to the group (need advice)

79kimmy
79kimmy Posts: 45 Member
I have been on MFP since February, 2012. I had lost 40 pounds rather quickly but I have been at a plateau for 2 months. I had started out on MFP at 1650 calories and was currently down to 1250 calories. I found several websites that told me that my BMR was 1650, and my tedee 2200. About 2 weeks ago I decided to up my calories again to 1650. How long does it take to get over a plateau and also do I lower my calories after a while or stay at the 1650? I am glad to have found this group and am hoping to find some friends on here to help me before I get totally frustrated!! I have another 20 pounds I would like to lose and I try to tell myself I can do this cause I've come this far...but it's hard when I keep being stuck! Any advice and friends would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• 79kimmy
    Anyone??
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Hi there-good for you for pumping the cals back up. But you might have to go up even more. As for now you seem to just net your BMR, that is the minimum of cals you should be eating. We usually recommend a cut of 10 but no more than 15%.

Unfortunately I can not tell you how long it will take to bust through the plateau. If you have been eating 1200 for a while you might need longer. Your body needs to get used again that you will eat properly, and first you might be even putting on some weight.

Have you read through the stickies? There is a lot of info there, that will help you getting started. First thing you should do is calculating your cut. Then go from there.

Happy Eating:)
  • I went to YouTube and watched the videos. Kiki and Lucia are the best and the videos are so informative on getting started. I am new to the group myself and have made lots of friends that are telling me you've guessed it "EAT MORE" my whole life I have been told to eat less. But go to YouTube type in Eat More 2 Weigh Less and the wealth of information will follow.
  • 79kimmy
    Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check out the videos!!
  • 79kimmy
    I'm scared! I am 6' tall so my tedee is 2268. Even 15% of that is 1927 calories! Just seems like a lot, and I'm afraid of gaining! I need some success stories of people who were like me and got over their plateau and had a great weight loss again. Thank you!!
  • 79kimmy
    So after watching the videos and reading blogs and testimonials, I have decided I'm gonna do this! I have decided to do the HIIT/strength training videos by Fitnessblender on youtube and up my clories to 1900-2000? Also, I have changed my macros to 40/30/30. Does it sound like I am on the right track? I am going to need support and advice with this so if I could get some friends from this group would be awesome!! Thanks for the help in advance!!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Great decision to increase your calories. It is scary and it takes time to accept it but I think that it just HAS to work. I'm considerably shorter than you :D my TDEE is around 2050 and I've been losing on my 15% cut of 1750. Well tbh some days a little more than that!

I'd say you're on the right track. Just be honest with yourself about the number of hours workout that you are doing. It's very easy to choose too low a level because the higher calorie number of your correct level scares the bejesus out of you. Pick your number and stick to it for at least 4 weeks before trying to tweak numbers. I'd suggest having someone hide the scales for you for those four weeks too :)

Wishing you lots of luck with it all. Actually luck is probably the wrong word .... Strength and courage to stick with it.
  • 79kimmy
    Thank you! I actually may have to do "hide the scale" thing as I usually step on it at least twice a day now, and I have a feeling it may go up before down!!