Looking for advice

ezavora
ezavora Posts: 59 Member
I have been waiting and waiting for my book to show up. I had to order it online because I live on a remote island in the middle of the ocean (literally!) I ordered it almost a month ago and its not here and Im going crazy. Im not new to weight lifting and have been doing my own program for the last couple months. But Im bored to death with it and thought I would be on the NROWLFW program starting Oct 1st. But still no book!

Now Im at the point that I skipped the gym last week due to total lack of motivation to stay with my program. Can anyone give me some suggestions of things I can do now that will prepare me for when my book finally gets here and I can start the new program? Maybe some examples of programs and/or lifts that I can take and use for a couple sessions to keep me tied over?

Thanks

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    you could try strong lifts until your book comes. www.stronglifts.com - the program is free. Look down the right side for the program link.
  • ezavora
    thanks, I checked out the stronglifts. Ive heard about that. Any one else have some other suggestions? Something that will tie in to wahtever the first workout are with NRoWL4W?
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    i'm not sure how 'remote' your location is but do you have access to a library? that's where i got mine and i'm just going to keep renewing it until i'm done with the program
  • ezavora
    There is a library here, but its made up of excess library of congress books and WWII books. I did look for it though, and no, its not there and they looked at me funny when I asked if they could get it. Im on the island of Tinian, very remote. The only people that have really heard of it are WWII buffs, its where the plane took off that dropped the A-bomb on Japan.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Stage 1 of the book is all about building a foundation. The number of sets and reps follow a pyramid style. The lower the reps, the heavier the weights used. You do a total of 16 workouts in this stage, 8 of workout A and 8 of workout B.

Workouts 1 & 2: 2 sets of 15 reps
    Workouts 3 & 4: 2 sets of 12 reps
    Workouts 5 & 6: 3 sets of 10 reps
    Workouts 7 & 8: 3 sets of 8 reps

Lift 3x per week alternating between workouts A & B. For example your first week would be:

Monday = A (first workout A so do 2 sets of 15 of each move)
    Wednesday = B (first workout B so do 2 sets of 15 of each move)
    Friday = A (second workout A so do 2 sets of 15)

Your second week would be:
    Monday = B (second workout B so do 2 sets of 15)
    Wednesday = A (third workout A so do 2 sets of 12)
    Friday = B (third workout B so do 2 sets of 12)

Rinse and repeat following the pyramid.

Workout A:
    Squats, push-ups, step-ups, rows, prone jackknife (a.k.a. swiss ball rollout). See this video for the best way to perform the prone jackknife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Workout B:
    Deadlifts, dumbbell shoulder presses, lat pulldown, lunges, swiss ball crunches

Using ideal form is critically important before increasing the amount of weight. You do NOT want to get injured. Also, make sure you warm-up (at least 5 minutes) before lifting and always do a stretching session after lifting. There are lots of videos online you can watch to ensure proper form.

Spend some time reading through past NROL4W thread posts. Lots of great info and topics.

Best of luck with the program!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    The only thing to add to bizco's post- for WO A do 2 sets of squats and then do 1 set of push ups 1 set of set ups( Alternating sets). do your second sets on those and move to the last 2. Do the same with WO B -2 sets of deads and then alt. sets for the first two and second 2. I hope this makes sense.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Wow Bizco - you rock!