Home gyms in small spaces: convenience worth the eyesore?

Hi, all:

I am having conversations with someone on Craigslist to get a Nautilus home gym this week so that I can do squats and other more serious leg work at home. Link to what I'm looking at: http://images.craigslist.org/5L55Ke5Hc3E33Jc3Nfc9ccb0b11a661e61cf8.jpg

I'm in a town home, and my BF is a little bummed about losing space in the living room for this stuff (we are moving the seating up a few feet, which makes the room feel smaller), but I think he is mostly sold on the idea because it will be so convenient to use and is important to me. Our place is still pretty spacious (1,800 sf?), so it's not like this stuff is taking up most of a small apartment or something. He's a cyclist (like me) so he is not so sold on weights, but I bet I could get him there. I used to lift a lot for swimming in high school and really enjoy seeing progress in the amount I'm lifting each week even if I'm not seeing progress in other areas.

I am no stranger to lifting heavy and already have a PowerBlock set I use 3X/week with P90X's strength program, but I haven't been getting the results I've been wanting with this type of strength training and cardio. I really want to get my legs involved and see some amazing changes like the other NRFWLFW ladies.

I wanted to check if y'all have any insights on buying home gym equipment for NRFWLFW. Totally worth it, or move on to the gym?

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    If it's about the appearance of the thing, you could always get one of those tri-fold screens to hide it when you're not using it.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Not sure if it's too late but are you prepared to also buy several sets of dumbbells? Plus there's other equipment you'll need. The cost can add up quickly. On the other hand, you can always resell your home gym.
  • Hey, thanks for the input. We bit the bullet and set everything up. I personally think it's great, but my (as of Sunday) fiance is still warming up to having all this equipment in our living room. He's being a champ about it, though. I used the squat rack for the first time this morning, and the burn was so worth it! I think the fact that I'm actually using it is a big thing for him, and I told him we could definitely sell it and get our space back if the equipment started to gather dust.

Also, I do have a set of PowerBlocks because I regularly lifted before NROL4W, so no worries on the dumbbell front. I think the only big thing I'm missing is a step, but the stairs will do for now.