Are there any Crunchy Mamas Out There?

Options
Hi, I am Nicole, and you can probably describe me as a crunchy mama! I have had three all natural births with two of them being waterbirths and all were attended by midwives, and all of my babies have been breastfed for at least a year. I try and stay natural and holistic with almost everything with my kids. I am currently due with baby #4 in April and am planning a home waterbirth. Is amyone else out there planning a homebirth? I am really excited about it, and am working hard to have a healthy pregnancy for a healthy homebirth. I would love to hear from mamas with similar goals or experiences. I know that everyone has different opinions and ideas on birth and child- rearing, so please, no negativity on this thread!:smile:

Replies

• EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would love a home birth but insurance won't cover it :( When the baby is out though I will definitely be a crunchy mama, breast feeding and when we start him/her on "food" I plan on preparing my own none of that jared stuff!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would love a home birth but insurance won't cover it :( When the baby is out though I will definitely be a crunchy mama, breast feeding and when we start him/her on "food" I plan on preparing my own none of that jared stuff!

Is midwifery care covered by your insurance? If they are covered, a homebirth should be covered as well.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    nope, the military hates anything holistic they just want to pump you with drugs and send you back to work!
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    That stinks! It is so hard to get the birth you want with so few resources out there! I am very grateful to have my midwives covered! Are you in the military, or is your husband?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing a home birth, but I am doing a midwife drug-free delivery at a birthing center.

I'm not breastfeeding though.
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    I'm not doing a home birth, but I am doing a midwife drug-free delivery at a birthing center.

Great birth plan! May I ask why you are not planning on breastfeeding? (You don't have to answer)
  • VelociMama
    Options

Great birth plan! May I ask why you are not planning on breastfeeding? (You don't have to answer)

I am on a beta blocker for my heart (severe mitral valve prolapse), and while pregnant, I'm off of it, but I have to go back on.
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    Aww that's rough! Did you ask your midwife or primary doc if there are any safe med alternatives that you could take instead?
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Aww that's rough! Did you ask your midwife or primary doc if there are any safe med alternatives that you could take instead?

No beta blocker is safe for nursing from what I gather.
  • nursenikki829
    Options

No, there are no bf friendly beta blockers. Good luck with your awesome birth plan! I don't have any birth centers near me, I would have loved to have my other babies in birth centers because I hate hospitals! That is why am so thrilled that my husband finally agreed to a homebirth!
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    That stinks! It is so hard to get the birth you want with so few resources out there! I am very grateful to have my midwives covered! Are you in the military, or is your husband?

I am in the Military, active duty Coast Guard :)....I would like to at least do a birthing center, but who am I to complain, I am only paying for gas to and from appts so, I'll just forego the meds and call it good :)
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am planning on a natural birth in the hospital setting and also plan to exclusively breastfeed. I have an OB/GYN (who won't do a water birth even though I wanted one) but we also hired a doula as well.
  • VelociMama
    Options

No, there are no bf friendly beta blockers. Good luck with your awesome birth plan! I don't have any birth centers near me, I would have loved to have my other babies in birth centers because I hate hospitals! That is why am so thrilled that my husband finally agreed to a homebirth!

I'm one of these people that can't stand hospitals. I've been in them as a patient three times, and been there with family members far too often. I just can't stand them. They stink. They're cold and unwelcoming, and hospital doctors and staff never seem to bother listening to their patients at all. I also hate how hospitals practically force you to have an epidural and then stick a tube in your pee-hole and a needle in your arm so you can't get up and move even if you want to. Seems like a very unappealing way to give birth IMHO.

That being said, I think every woman should make whatever choice about her birth that she wants. Standard hospital birth is not my thing.
  • nursenikki829
    Options

I'm one of these people that can't stand hospitals. I've been in them as a patient three times, and been there with family members far too often. I just can't stand them. They stink. They're cold and unwelcoming, and hospital doctors and staff never seem to bother listening to their patients at all. I also hate how hospitals practically force you to have an epidural and then stick a tube in your pee-hole and a needle in your arm so you can't get up and move even if you want to. Seems like a very unappealing way to give birth IMHO.

That being said, I think every woman should make whatever choice about her birth that she wants. Standard hospital birth is not my thing.

I also hate hospital (and I work in one) I agree with having the birth that you want, and I was lucky that I was able to have three all natural hospital births even though the hospital wasn't my first choice. It wasn't easy though, if you don't have the right practitioner that is on board with your plans, it is very easy to end up with things that you don't want. I had a terrible midwife for my first that tried to push interventions on me during my birth, but my other two births were very different, happy waterbirths with another group of midwives that really were on board with a totally natural birth (I didn't even have an IV).
  • VelociMama
    Options

I also hate hospital (and I work in one) I agree with having the birth that you want, and I was lucky that I was able to have three all natural hospital births even though the hospital wasn't my first choice. It wasn't easy though, if you don't have the right practitioner that is on board with your plans, it is very easy to end up with things that you don't want. I had a terrible midwife for my first that tried to push interventions on me during my birth, but my other two births were very different, happy waterbirths with another group of midwives that really were on board with a totally natural birth (I didn't even have an IV).

That's exactly how I feel. I don't want unnecessary interventions. Just non-drug pain management care and stress relief, and I really want to be able to move around, eat, drink water, shower, bathe, etc. The birthing center I'm going to for the delivery has the same philosophy, and they have an OB trained in breech vaginal deliveries. The only thing that worries me is that I'd have to be transported by ambulance to a hospital if something does go wrong. They don't have the emergency or surgical staff and equipment to deal with that there.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options

That's exactly how I feel. I don't want unnecessary interventions. Just non-drug pain management care and stress relief, and I really want to be able to move around, eat, drink water, shower, bathe, etc. The birthing center I'm going to for the delivery has the same philosophy, and they have an OB trained in breech vaginal deliveries. The only thing that worries me is that I'd have to be transported by ambulance to a hospital if something does go wrong. They don't have the emergency or surgical staff and equipment to deal with that there.

I wish we had a birthing center in Las Vegas, I'd totally be there! I hired a doula because I am skeptical about trying to have a natural birth in the hospital. I also have two doctors and a nurse case manager who have my back. I'm high risk because of lupus and some other conditions but so far I haven't had any issues (knock on wood). We toured the hospital already so I have a good idea of what to expect. I don't trust the staff to not intervene, so I plan on laboring at home and not going to the hospital until I absolutely have to, and I'll have my doula and husband there with me. My delivering OB is also very on board with what I want to do and already knows I don't want pain meds, don't want to be induced, etc. Childbirth is a simple, beautiful thing and it's amazing how much we complicate it and screw it up!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I wish we had a birthing center in Las Vegas, I'd totally be there! I hired a doula because I am skeptical about trying to have a natural birth in the hospital. I also have two doctors and a nurse case manager who have my back. I'm high risk because of lupus and some other conditions but so far I haven't had any issues (knock on wood). We toured the hospital already so I have a good idea of what to expect. I don't trust the staff to not intervene, so I plan on laboring at home and not going to the hospital until I absolutely have to, and I'll have my doula and husband there with me. My delivering OB is also very on board with what I want to do and already knows I don't want pain meds, don't want to be induced, etc. Childbirth is a simple, beautiful thing and it's amazing how much we complicate it and screw it up!

SO agree with your last statement especially. Birthing centers don't take high risk pregnancies normally, so even if you had one in your area, you probably couldn't go there sadly.

Mine didn't want to take me without a note from my cardiologist clearing me to labor.

Good luck to you! I'm glad you have a supportive OB and staff to help you along. The doula should be a huge help also!
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I'm going the midwife group route, but its through a hospital and they are all nurses as well. I guess you could call me 'semi crunchy' ;)

As for pain intervention - I am a first timer and not even going to pretend I know what I am taking on, so although going 'natural' seems most appealing to me, I am playing it by ear.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Nicole, and you can probably describe me as a crunchy mama! I have had three all natural births with two of them being waterbirths and all were attended by midwives, and all of my babies have been breastfed for at least a year. I try and stay natural and holistic with almost everything with my kids. I am currently due with baby #4 in April and am planning a home waterbirth. Is amyone else out there planning a homebirth? I am really excited about it, and am working hard to have a healthy pregnancy for a healthy homebirth. I would love to hear from mamas with similar goals or experiences. I know that everyone has different opinions and ideas on birth and child- rearing, so please, no negativity on this thread!:smile:
    Am thinking about doing a water birth this time. Both previous pregnancies I planned on going drug free but unfortunately it didn't happen. With my 1st my midwife really pressured me to get induced & I was too nervous not to listen. 1st induction I didn't even show up to hospital I kept trying to wait it out. But 7days later I agreed to get induced & w the pitocin I ended up w an epidural. 2nd time it was going as planned my water broke at 4am. But I didn't have any contractions. By 7pm I agreed to get pitocin again bcuz I was afraid they'd make me have a c section since it was awhile that my water broke and the labor was going nowhere so i ended up w epidrual again. Both kids were breastfeed till 1.. and will be making my own baby food again.
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am having my baby at the hospital. I am planning on a non-medicated birth, which seems like a fun challenge considering these braxton hicks have been quite interesting! I am planning on breast feeding and making my son's baby food, its cheaper and healthier! So glad to see I'm not alone in these choices :)