Not Working!!

Options
BluthLover
BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
NO matter what I do I cannot lose weight. It's SO Frustrating! Here are my average calories listed by month. This is per day. TOTAL calories before workouts.

April - 1530
May - 1609
June- 1652
July- 1686
Aug- 1939
Sept- 1900

I am now trying 1800 for the month of Oct.

I don't have my weight for April. In May I was roughly 137 but that was because of a trip at the end of April to Disney World. I ate a ton. Here are my weight averages for the following months.

June

July

Aug

Sept

Oct so far I'm ... you guessed it.. 135. I truly don't understand this. Do I cut back to 1600 calories? I really don't think I should!
Here are my stats...
32 years old
5'3
Goal 125
BF 22%
BMR 1375
Lightly Active TDEE is 1891

Total workout calories calculated with a HRM is 1500 for the week. I do about 4 hours of cardio a week. 5 days of workouts. I lift 3 times a week.

I'm just at a loss!

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    What are your stats besides your weight? Have you noticed any change in your other measurements?
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. I totally understand! I was just about to give up last week but thought, let me stick it through for the month of October to see what happens.

I hope you find some answers. I still don't have any answers why I can't lose. Sometimes I think maybe my body wants to just stay at this weight. Have you considered that?

Do you make sure you NET above at your BMR? your body could be holding on to weight if it thinks it's not getting enough food.

Good luck friend. :-)
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I forgot we were twins! :-) I'm also 32, 133lbs, has a daughter, and BMR is 1360(i think, i try to NET 1400 to be safe.)

I also want to get to 125. It is a struggle!!! I completely agree!!! I can't wait to see what people think is going on with us.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    What website are you using to calculate TDEE? I used Scooby and put you at moderately active and with a 10% cut, you should be eating around 1900 calories. With only 10 lbs to lose, you should be working with a smaller cut.
  • LMPMOM4
    LMPMOM4 Posts: 75
    Options
    Just curious what your workouts look like? It seems like you are losing 1-2 pounds per month which is what is probably realistic given you are small already and this is your last few pounds. Perhaps set a goal of 2 pounds a month and giving it several more months to reach goal? Just a thought.
  • BluthLover
    Options
    I forgot we were twins! :-) I'm also 32, 133lbs, has a daughter, and BMR is 1360(i think, i try to NET 1400 to be safe.)

I also want to get to 125. It is a struggle!!! I completely agree!!! I can't wait to see what people think is going on with us.

I DO make sure to net above my BMR. :) We are twins.
  • BluthLover
    Options
    What website are you using to calculate TDEE? I used Scooby and put you at moderately active and with a 10% cut, you should be eating around 1900 calories. With only 10 lbs to lose, you should be working with a smaller cut.

I have used both Scooby and Haybales spreadsheet. I did eat 1900 calories for two months with no result. No loss at all.
  • BluthLover
    Options
    What are your stats besides your weight? Have you noticed any change in your other measurements?

I've only taken measurements twice. Once in March and again about a month ago. I went u a half an inch or so in some spots. Down a half an inch or so in others. No real change there. In March I was 131. Pants feel tighter :-/
  • BluthLover
    Options
    Just curious what your workouts look like? It seems like you are losing 1-2 pounds per month which is what is probably realistic given you are small already and this is your last few pounds. Perhaps set a goal of 2 pounds a month and giving it several more months to reach goal? Just a thought.
    [/quote

I'm actually not losing. I've been on average around 135 for the last 10 weeks. My workouts are as follows...
    Cardio Mon-Fri.
    Cardio is either treadmill, elliptical or stairclimber.
    On days I lift its 45 min or so. On Days I don't lift it's an hour.
    HIIT at least twice a week.

Weights 3xs a week. 20 minutes each. 4-5 diff machines. 4 sets per machine. I work diff muscle groups on diff days.
    Chest and Tricep one day
    Legs and shoulders another
    back and bicep another.
  • BluthLover
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied :)
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i apologize if you've already answered this question...but are you eating your 'exercise' cals on top of your calorie totals?
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I've only taken measurements twice. Once in March and again about a month ago. I went u a half an inch or so in some spots. Down a half an inch or so in others. No real change there. In March I was 131. Pants feel tighter :-/
    [/quote]

so you've only gone up since you started with MFP?
  • LMPMOM4
    LMPMOM4 Posts: 75
    Options
    How about trying something other than machines for lifting? I'm doing New Rules Of Lifting for Women and its great! Perhaps you need to shake up your lifting routine. Lift heavier with more compound lifts?
    That's all I've got, sorry :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    NO matter what I do I cannot lose weight. It's SO Frustrating! Here are my average calories listed by month. This is per day. TOTAL calories before workouts.

I don't have my weight for April. In May I was roughly 137 but that was because of a trip at the end of April to Disney World. I ate a ton. Here are my weight averages for the following months.

Oct so far I'm ... you guessed it.. 135. I truly don't understand this. Do I cut back to 1600 calories? I really don't think I should!
    Here are my stats...
    32 years old
    5'3
    Goal 125
    BF 22%
    BMR 1375

Total workout calories calculated with a HRM is 1500 for the week. I do about 4 hours of cardio a week. 5 days of workouts. I lift 3 times a week.

Strange, with those stats I get Katch BMR of 1402 (close enough) and TDEE of 1927 for Lightly Active using Harris TDEE calc.
    Using MFP calc for Lightly Active I do indeed get 1892 though.

So using spreadsheet TDEE method 2 it sounds like?

So then 1500 calories per HRM for I'm guessing maybe 6 hrs of workout a week? You mention 4hrs of cardio, but not how many hrs of lifting. I think perhaps we talked about HRM not being valid for lifting calories at all, actually about 1/4 to 1/3 whatever the HRM says, MFP being more accurate. So I hope that 1500 is with adjusted lifting calories, not actual HRM reported for lifting? Otherwise, your TDEE is inflated.
    So those 1500 calories burned in 6 hrs adds really 1027 extra cal's to the week, or 147 to the day, above and beyond what Lightly Active would have caused anyway.

So total estimated TDEE is 2039.
    15% deficit with that much to lose just barely realistic - 1733.
    Lose a couple more pounds, 10% is better though.

Now, if the lifting is truly heavy lifting, and the cardio is not so intense as to mess that up by killing the recovery/repair process the day after, nor prevent you from truly lifting heavy by doing it intense enough to leave you too weak, then you could manage on 1567.

Why is the effect happening though?

Just as you keep eat too little, and your body will just slow until you reach a state of equilibrium, that can happen on the way up while eating more too. Still not eating enough, but more.
    This may mean your metabolism would actually like to be faster than calculated, and faster than what it is now, because if no measurable changes in many spots, then still eating at TDEE. Even if the math says it should be a deficit.
    Or conversely, metabolism is slower than normal, but until you really get it high enough, you don't know if that is a cause of eating too low, or genetics.

I'd say go with the 1733.
    Confirm the lifting is heavy.
    Confirm the cardio is gentle enough as warm-up and cool-down only, not killing the repair process or making you tired.
    And confirm your total time is 6 hrs as I guessed above.
    And confirm if that 1500 is HRM reported burn for lifting, which means it's inflated.
    Those 2 last things will change the daily goal.
  • BluthLover
    Options

Here are my stats...
    32 years old
    5'3
    Goal 125
    BF 22%
    BMR 1375

Strange, with those stats I get Katch BMR of 1402 (close enough) and TDEE of 1927 for Lightly Active using Harris TDEE calc.
    Using MFP calc for Lightly Active I do indeed get 1892 though.

So using spreadsheet TDEE method 2 it sounds like?

So then 1500 calories per HRM for I'm guessing maybe 6 hrs of workout a week? You mention 4hrs of cardio, but not how many hrs of lifting. I think perhaps we talked about HRM not being valid for lifting calories at all, actually about 1/4 to 1/3 whatever the HRM says, MFP being more accurate. So I hope that 1500 is with adjusted lifting calories, not actual HRM reported for lifting? Otherwise, your TDEE is inflated.
    So those 1500 calories burned in 6 hrs adds really 1027 extra cal's to the week, or 147 to the day, above and beyond what Lightly Active would have caused anyway.

So total estimated TDEE is 2039.
    15% deficit with that much to lose just barely realistic - 1733.
    Lose a couple more pounds, 10% is better though.

Now, if the lifting is truly heavy lifting, and the cardio is not so intense as to mess that up by killing the recovery/repair process the day after, nor prevent you from truly lifting heavy by doing it intense enough to leave you too weak, then you could manage on 1567.

Why is the effect happening though?

Just as you keep eat too little, and your body will just slow until you reach a state of equilibrium, that can happen on the way up while eating more too. Still not eating enough, but more.
    This may mean your metabolism would actually like to be faster than calculated, and faster than what it is now, because if no measurable changes in many spots, then still eating at TDEE. Even if the math says it should be a deficit.
    Or conversely, metabolism is slower than normal, but until you really get it high enough, you don't know if that is a cause of eating too low, or genetics.

I'd say go with the 1733.
    Confirm the lifting is heavy.
    Confirm the cardio is gentle enough as warm-up and cool-down only, not killing the repair process or making you tired.
    And confirm your total time is 6 hrs as I guessed above.
    And confirm if that 1500 is HRM reported burn for lifting, which means it's inflated.
    Those 2 last things will change the daily goal.

No I am not including lifting in my HRM calories burned. I am only including cardio. The cardio is about 4.5 hours a week and about 1500 calories burned. Define "heavy" lifting please. I lift as heavy as I can. Mind you it's not very heavy. Squats with 40lb barbell. Chest press with same 40lb barbell. That kind of thing. How can cardio screw up strength training?

Monday, wends and Friday I do 45 min of cardio trying to keep my heartrate around 140 or higher. Average is usually 135-145. My resting heart rate is 60. Then I do strength training for 20-25 min. I do not have my HRM on during lifting. Tues and thurs is just an hour of cardio. Usually the average HR is the same as Mon, wed and Friday.
  • BluthLover
    Options

[/quote]

so you've only gone up since you started with MFP?
    [/quote]

Yes I include workout calories already. So I eat 1800 or whatever and don't "eat back" calories. Also yes my weight has only gone up! Frustrating!
  • heybales
    Options
    No I am not including lifting in my HRM calories burned. I am only including cardio. The cardio is about 4.5 hours a week and about 1500 calories burned. Define "heavy" lifting please. I lift as heavy as I can. Mind you it's not very heavy. Squats with 40lb barbell. Chest press with same 40lb barbell. That kind of thing. How can cardio screw up strength training?

Monday, wends and Friday I do 45 min of cardio trying to keep my heartrate around 140 or higher. Average is usually 135-145. My resting heart rate is 60. Then I do strength training for 20-25 min. I do not have my HRM on during lifting. Tues and thurs is just an hour of cardio. Usually the average HR is the same as Mon, wed and Friday.

So going to put the spreadsheet to good use here on many points.

So actually your TDEE is higher with lifting included, and while that means the deficit can be slightly bigger, it also means the daily goal will be higher.

Heavy is from your point of view, usually until failure on last rep last set. The kind that leaves you sore the next day. That means you did damage, that means repair will rebuild stronger. That is good.

Cardio can kill that, because if too intense on the same muscles the next day, it is a stress also, and prevents the repair from being as good as it could be, if at all.
    Now, at least the nutrition is there, so you have great chance to really benefit from your lifting.
    So to that end, let's assume your HRmax is 190, RHR is 60, HRR is 130. (this is on HRM tab in spreadsheet).
    So, that 1 hr cardio using the same muscles the day after lifting should be in the Active Recovery HR zone 125-137 max. So pretty close right now, but be willing to go lower since it's a whole hour. Benefit, you'll be training body to burn fat for fuel, and you'll find yourself speeding up despite keeping at lower HR.

Now, the cardio in your current Aerobic range right before lifting is really just sapping your strength from lifting as heavy as you could. And that is fine, if you want the focus on cardio. But, if the focus of cardio is for fat loss though, you got it backwards.
    Focus on the lifting for fat loss and maintaining LBM.

If you do decide to switch it up, it changes this story, but here's how I'm using the spreadsheet so you can change it.

So, new TDEE calc 2 with 75 min of lifting weekly (486 cals), and 4.5 hrs of cardio (1500 cals).
    Exercise adds on 1533 weekly, or 219 daily.
    Along with Lightly Active (for that little one I'm guessing) - 1892
    TDEE - 2111

(interesting side point, if you used TDEE calc 1A, 21hrs on feet, 75 min Moderate, 270 min Heavy - 2148, might close for no HRM)

1794 daily gross goal since focus is on cardio.

So your plan for 1800 is right on the money.
  • BluthLover
    Options

So going to put the spreadsheet to good use here on many points.

So actually your TDEE is higher with lifting included, and while that means the deficit can be slightly bigger, it also means the daily goal will be higher.

Heavy is from your point of view, usually until failure on last rep last set. The kind that leaves you sore the next day. That means you did damage, that means repair will rebuild stronger. That is good.

Cardio can kill that, because if too intense on the same muscles the next day, it is a stress also, and prevents the repair from being as good as it could be, if at all.
    Now, at least the nutrition is there, so you have great chance to really benefit from your lifting.
    So to that end, let's assume your HRmax is 190, RHR is 60, HRR is 130. (this is on HRM tab in spreadsheet).
    So, that 1 hr cardio using the same muscles the day after lifting should be in the Active Recovery HR zone 125-137 max. So pretty close right now, but be willing to go lower since it's a whole hour. Benefit, you'll be training body to burn fat for fuel, and you'll find yourself speeding up despite keeping at lower HR.

Now, the cardio in your current Aerobic range right before lifting is really just sapping your strength from lifting as heavy as you could. And that is fine, if you want the focus on cardio. But, if the focus of cardio is for fat loss though, you got it backwards.
    Focus on the lifting for fat loss and maintaining LBM.

If you do decide to switch it up, it changes this story, but here's how I'm using the spreadsheet so you can change it.

So, new TDEE calc 2 with 75 min of lifting weekly (486 cals), and 4.5 hrs of cardio (1500 cals).
    Exercise adds on 1533 weekly, or 219 daily.
    Along with Lightly Active (for that little one I'm guessing) - 1892
    TDEE - 2111

(interesting side point, if you used TDEE calc 1A, 21hrs on feet, 75 min Moderate, 270 min Heavy - 2148, might close for no HRM)

1794 daily gross goal since focus is on cardio.

So your plan for 1800 is right on the money.

Thank you very much for your advice and help! So what kind of cardio would you suggest for both lifting and non lifting days? Thanks again. Your spreadsheet has been very helpful! And I appreciate the advice.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you very much for your advice and help! So what kind of cardio would you suggest for both lifting and non lifting days? Thanks again. Your spreadsheet has been very helpful! And I appreciate the advice.

So that begs the question, what is the purpose of the cardio?

For fat loss, for pure enjoyment, for a race. ect?

I love to push myself for endurance in cardio events, so that's why it's my focus. I lift to support that focus. Actually, right now in deep training for a marathon I don't lift at all. Hill sprints is my lifting equivalent right now, though I may throw in some upper body to keep it up. But shoulder problems from years past makes that interesting.

I know I'm not going to get the weight loss I could from focus on lifting, and that is fine for right now for me. 5lbs won't make as much a difference in performance as actual distance training. It's a trade off, can only focus on 1 thing at a time.

So why focus on cardio right now?

And since it sounds like you work out every weekday, is that the extent of the schedule, weekends not realistic?
  • BluthLover
    Options

So that begs the question, what is the purpose of the cardio?

For fat loss, for pure enjoyment, for a race. ect?

I love to push myself for endurance in cardio events, so that's why it's my focus. I lift to support that focus. Actually, right now in deep training for a marathon I don't lift at all. Hill sprints is my lifting equivalent right now, though I may throw in some upper body to keep it up. But shoulder problems from years past makes that interesting.

I know I'm not going to get the weight loss I could from focus on lifting, and that is fine for right now for me. 5lbs won't make as much a difference in performance as actual distance training. It's a trade off, can only focus on 1 thing at a time.

So why focus on cardio right now?

And since it sounds like you work out every weekday, is that the extent of the schedule, weekends not realistic?

I do cardio because I like feeling like I'm doing something good for my heart. The main focus of everything is fat loss though. I usually do workout once on weekends. Just cardio. A 45-60 min run. I just wanna lose weight. Toning would be great but right now the scale is making me insane.