food restrictions make it hard to get enough cals?

bellabrite
bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
If anyone out there has food restrictions and is finding it hard to get enough calories, I would love to hear from you.

I know my situation is probably too weird and specific for advice, but some good ole' support would help! Or maybe I could take a peek at your diary?

I currently cannot have sugar (including fruit), gluten, wheat, dairy (except greek yogurt), soy, alcohol. And I am already a vegetarian! This situation may or may not be permanent depending on results of the restrictions.

I do my very best to get whatever protein and fat I can get. Right now I'm averaging about 15% protein, 25% fat, and 60% carbs. I can't use most of the protein powders because of their ingredients, though I think I finally found one I can order.

I eat certain grains, all veggies, certain nut butters and nuts. In a week or two I will try adding legumes and beans back in.

And this is after a 13-week reset where I ate 2100 cals!
I am finding it difficult to even get past 1400 each day and my goal right now is 1800. And I'm getting to the point where I'm not nearly as hungry even though I muster up the energy to do my heavy lifting 3x week.

Thanks for listening guys.

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I'm vegan, grain-free, multiple allergies. Feel free to look at my diary and ask any questions.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    I've tried dropping and adding different things at various times and yes it can be challenging. Right now i'm just watching dairy and I don't eat a lot of wheat usually. I really think the hardest part is just not getting into a rut with eating, you have to constantly be happy to try new things and shop (eh, and spend..) around in specialty stores, etc.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I can't have much dairy, dislike meat and fish, and cannot have too much tomato or anything acidic. I don't have a problem getting my calories up to 2500 though! I use sweet potatoes, oatmeal, quinoa, and beans to help get me there though. I do eat wheat, though not much. You just have to be bold and try recipes with ingredients you can eat! I was completely overwhelmed when I realized I had to give up dairy when I was already a vegetarian. I got used to it. We're friends, so you can definitely take a peak in my diary!
  • bellabrite
    Thanks, you guys. It's really interesting to know that there are others out there with the same situation. Maybe I'm just overwhelmed because I've only been doing this about two weeks. I am going to look at your diaries!

I think one issue is that I can't handle eating much volume at one time, so I need to figure out how I can split up my "meals" into about 8 per day.

Last night I ate 4 cups of soup that I made and I was so uncomfortable and looked bloated for hours! I just don't have a digestive system that can process what I really need to eat:(

Thanks for the encouragement!!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Also have you tried those vegan organic food bars? They have a ton of calories, are delicious, and I think they fit within your restrictions. Check them out! http://www.organicfoodbar.com/products/Vegan
  • bellabrite
    Those look great!! Thanks!! Technically supposed to stay away from agave, but I bet I could have one of these once and while--or soon, anyway!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    On the restricted sugar and fruit -- is this because of fructose intolerance, diabetes, candida, or what? Because each of them have different restrictions you might be able to work around.