Reasonable calorie goal?

Options
snoopy7501
snoopy7501 Posts: 46 Member
I'm 5'11", currently at 246 lbs and 34% BF. When I joined MFP, I knew that the computer's calculated daily calorie goal would not really apply to me, since was going to start strength training. But not really knowing any better, I just pulled a number out of the air -- 2000 calories. Then, I tweaked the macro percentages to give me a target protein intake of 200g.

4 weeks later, this setup seems to be working okay, but then again, I'm still new enough at SL that the lifts are still pretty easy. But I've been reading Starting Strength, where Rippetoe recommends 3500-6000 calories (!!!) on his program. It makes me wonder if I'm seriously underestimating my nutritional needs, and whether that will give me problems when the weights start to get more difficult.

Those of you on SL, what daily calorie target works for you?

Replies

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I've recently reread the Rippetoe book, and as I recall, he said "at least 3000" calories per day, no? Also, a big part of his audience is younger, underweight athletes who need to bulk up. Hence his suggestion to drink a gallon of milk a day. He notes that men who need to lose should not drink much milk, etc., etc. So you should probably be more at the low end of his calorie recommendations.

If I were you, I'd just eat when you're hungry, but try to eat healthy foods high in protein. Your body is probably a good guide to how much you should eat. Keep with the program, and adjust as needed.

But I agree it's difficult. I'm 6'2" and 187 lbs. I'm more or less where I need to be on weight. But I want to add muscle, so I need to eat, even if I put more weight on than I'd like in the beginning. But I've learned it's easy for me to reduce.

So I went from 2400 calories per day (maintenance) to around 3200 now. But again, if I'm not hungry, I don't force it. If I'm starving (as I often am on days I lift), I try to eat a bit more.

I'm just finishing week 4, and my body is definitely responding very well to the program. The squats were hard for me from day one, even with just the bar. I thought I was strong, but my core was incredibly weak. But I've yet to stall, I've gone up every workout, and I'm loving the results.

So, long story short, I'd stay at the low end of his calorie suggestions, eat healthy foods, but definitely adjust as necessary, based on what your body is telling you.

Good luck!

--P
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Your TDEE is about 3400, so if you keep it around 3000, you should be fine.