New workout routine - gaining inches on deficit

Options
MeDoula
MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
I started a new workout routine after couple week long break. Since then I've been gaining even more inches (not even talking weight here). Is this common? From my understanding, water retention can mask fat loss in the beginning stages of a new workout. Has anyone experienced a gain in inches at the beginning of a new workout routine while being on deficit?

(History: increased cal, 8 weeks reset, 10-15% cut from Bodybugg burn)

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on the new routine? If you're talking a few days then yes, inches gained could definitely be a possibility from fluid in your muscles. If we're talking a few weeks, with a deficit... hmmm maybe you've cut too much.

Was your weight stable by the end of your reset?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I started a new workout routine after couple week long break. Since then I've been gaining even more inches (not even talking weight here). Is this common? From my understanding, water retention can mask fat loss in the beginning stages of a new workout. Has anyone experienced a gain in inches at the beginning of a new workout routine while being on deficit?

(History: increased cal, 8 weeks reset, 10-15% cut from Bodybugg burn)

Gaining inches where?

And is that where you've been working out in the new routine?

If you were losing steadily prior to the change, does it feel like this new routine is a big difference in effort to you, like a lot easier?

If it is different, then your TDEE will be different. And if it's beyond walking and slow jogging, your BodyBugg isn't that accurate anyway, it probably wouldn't know one way or the other, especially if it had the previous activity under-estimated.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost anything since cutting after the reset.

I measured my hips (2 inches) and thighs (little over an inch on both) before starting my new routine and this result is from today. Muscles are definitely sore after each strength workout.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost anything since cutting after the reset.

I measured my hips (2 inches) and thighs (little over an inch on both) before starting my new routine and this result is from today. Muscles are definitely sore after each strength workout.

Oh, sure you will then. If sore, that means muscles were torn up, exactly what a strong routine should do.
    That means your body protects with water, and repairs stronger - if you give it a rest while sore.
    More water is more swelling.

I've done a bench press routine after a long break from doing it, and will be sore for 4 or 5 days, with visible swelling for that whole time.
    Had a whole upper body workout about a month ago left me sore for about 4 days, and the day I dropped the water, I could tell. Bathroom breaks frequently.

Get some gentle walking in, blood flow to those muscles help repair.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    As pp already said-fluid retention sounds very likely to be the reason.
    Don't worry, it will go down as soon as your muscles are "repaired"
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    When starting a new routine I generally won't measure or get on the scale for about a month because it can take that long for you to start seeing results from the change.. If you measured before your workout and you remeasured and your still sore.. thats way too early to be looking for changes.. Don't take measurements/scale weight until the soreness is mostly gone and your muscles are used to being worked. My opinion