Is 3x5 enough?

feydruss
feydruss Posts: 349 Member
I was doing SL for a while, but circumstances derailed me from following the specific program. Recently I've been having some success with a 3x5 routine wherein I can barely make the last rep of the last set, and often don't. I also don't rest more than 60sec (I'm guessing).

I'm trying to hit the following when I do this:
Barbell squat
Barbell deadlift
Dumbbell overhead shoulder press
Barbell bench press
Seated row (bent over gives me some back issues)
Assisted pull up

I'm trying to do this 2-3x/wk, and then usually another day of TRX training and another day of 3x8 dumbbell stuff at home (more creative or more isolation lifts - ex. Good mornings on a BOSU or simple weighted step ups).

I'm not doing much cardio anymore, to be honest. Swimming maybe once a week, running and/or elliptical as well. I prefer to lift.

My goals are to continue to lose weight and get my body fat down. I net about 1200-1300/day.

I guess my question is this--is it okay to stick to a 3x5 instead of 3x8/5x5 if I'm making strength gains? Or am I "under training"?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I guess my question is this--is it okay to stick to a 3x5 instead of 3x8/5x5 if I'm making strength gains?

Yes it's fine.

If you are doing all the exercises you listed for 3 sets then that is 18 total sets.

That's not low volume at all.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Thanks! I guess I didn't look at it that way...
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    I've done a lot of reading recently on this very topic as I was having a difficult time to decide between Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength 3x5. I settled for Starting Strength 3x5: there's a large group of people who say 3x5 works actually better in the long run as it enables you to add weight and improve your personal records for a longer period of time. Whereas on a 5x5 program there is the risk later on that you won't be able to complete the 4th and 5th sets properly using the correct technique once you've reached decent weights.
    Plus you'll be doing quite a few warmup sets anyway for each exercise.
    Hope this makes sense.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    I highly recommend stronglifts madcow. It is really good for someone who is in a caloric deficit (not sure if you are trying to lose fat or not). There is only so much strength you can gain if you aren't eating enough. Google stronglifts madcow for more info....I love it.
  • Be_EmbracE
    Be_EmbracE Posts: 1,472 Member
    Wow there is so much to read and to learn. For a beginner how should we go about?
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    I strongly recommend stronglifts....lots of other people do as well. Great beginner program.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Wow there is so much to read and to learn. For a beginner how should we go about?

Try not to get stuck in "Oh noes, which program do I do??"

Just pick one and go with it :)