Protein and Lifting

Almost everyone lifts in this group, but I don't. I am not there yet, I am building up to it with small weights (ie 3 lbs). One day, I will get a Cathe video but right now she would kill me. I am concerned about adding extra protein if I am not lifting. I don't want it to turn to more fat. I do eat a lot of protein, but I don't do the shakes, supplements or bars.

Replies

• amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Adding extra protein will not cause you to store more fat, even if you are not lifting. Adding extra protein will however, help you to retain your lean mass while eating at a defecit to lose fat. Protein is no more likely to be stored as fat than the carbs or fat that you eat. Go ahead and add more protein, you will feel more satisfied with your food and stay full longer.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I agree with the pp. Protein wont do any harm. It iwll help you to preserve lean mass
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Adding extra protein will not cause you to store more fat, even if you are not lifting. Adding extra protein will however, help you to retain your lean mass while eating at a defecit to lose fat. Protein is no more likely to be stored as fat than the carbs or fat that you eat. Go ahead and add more protein, you will feel more satisfied with your food and stay full longer.

^^^this^^^ Well said. Protein keeps you fuller longer - which is a good thing in my book :-)

I started out with light weights too, but once I started to see how they were changing my body, I started increasing very gradually. There are some good DVDs out there that use light weights and are more focused on endurance rather than "heavy lifting" - if you start with those, then Cathe is the next natural step :) The more muscle you have, the more you can eat (which I love!)