65,000 dollars in matchmaking?!?!

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
Did anyone hear about this guy Larry Greenfield? He's out of New York, and has spent 65,000 dollars on matchmaking services and over 250 dates. He now is blaming his matchmakers for not finding appropriate matches, while his matchmakers have said that his problem is that "he's a six and he wanted a 10...." who is a slim Jewish woman who is a "non-alpha," meaning that she isn't committed to a career.

Aye-aye-aye. What a wish list buddy.

Replies

• coffeeQ2hrs
    coffeeQ2hrs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    right, like, you shouldn't be too picky! just choose your requirements wisely! ;)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    3 things? That's not too picky in my opinion.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    So, did the 250 women meet his requirements but reject him? Then, too bad, Larry! If they couldn't set up a date that matched his requirements, I would say he had a fair complaint, but 250 dates (who met his requirements?) that didn't result in second dates have one common denominator.... and that's Larry.
  • christine24t
    Options
    one common denominator.... and that's Larry.

Yep, I don't think he liked any of the women enough to pursue things further.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a perfect formula for a romantic movie. "There's something about Larry" :laugh: Bah I shouldn't be mean. He's had 240 more dates than I have :sad:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    "The New York Post reports that after trying six different agencies over the past 12 years — and seeing 250 women — without success, the bachelor is blasting the expensive dating services as a 'rip-off'.
    But the matchmakers are firing back, saying Greenfield wants women who are simply out of his league."
    Source: http://hereisthecity.com/2012/10/09/securities-trader-cant-buy-love-as-bonuses-likely-to-be-35-down/

Lots of people here don't believe in leagues, but I would agree with the matchmakers that there are leagues - and that some people just won't cut it for people with lots of qualities.
    However, I think you can change leagues by improving yourself (looks, attitude, intelligence, open mindedness).

Personally, I think this guy should have invested his money in PUA training rather than matchmaking (if he wanted to invest money in the first place - which I don't even think is necessary).
    PUA is taking the bull by the horns and deciding actively to improve yourself, your social skills, your understanding of women, etc. Often, PUAs will tell you you need to be confident, funny, deep (understanding, connecting with people), etc. which often lead the person to improve themselves in those areas where they are lacking (and thus going up the "league ladder").
    What he is doing now seems more like "find me that perfect woman who likes me already".

On a side note, is his list of requirements: "beautiful, thin, smart, Jewish, a sense of humor and from New York — but not a woman obsessed with her career" really off the charts? I think this is the list of requirements (apart from the Jewish & New York part) that most men would have (and beautiful/smart is very subjective).
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I agree with Larry that he got ripped off. These matchmakers had to know that he was aiming way out of his league. They still had no problem taking his money and setting him up for failure.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    How could someone so successful in his career not be cutting it in dating?

Larry and this woman may hit it off: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/it_check_and_mate_CGQtBM7LFyEohA6c4AqezN

I think Larry should adopt some PUA tactics, like Flimflam said.

I think there is a good possibility he's looking for something that doesn't exist, but he's not the first dater (male or female) to do that.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

And I think it would be the other way around... none of the women liked him enough to go on a 2nd date!

I also wonder if after spending all that money, Larry seemed to think he could buy himself love? In other words, hiring the matchmaker was the equivalent of people who want a magic pill to lose weight instead of worrying about diet and exercise. There are some things in life that money and band-aids can't fix.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I agree with Larry that he got ripped off. These matchmakers had to know that he was aiming way out of his league. They still had no problem taking his money and setting him up for failure.

From what I know of matchmakers they don't have a problem saying "this isn't going to work" "We are going to have a hard time finding something like this for you, don't expect anything" and people like to push forward with this fantasy that they are awesome enough to be the exception. I don't blame the matchmakers, dude probably got exactly what he asked for (in a manner of speaking).
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if after spending all that money, Larry seemed to think he could buy himself love? In other words, hiring the matchmaker was the equivalent of people who want a magic pill to lose weight instead of worrying about diet and exercise. There are some things in life that money and band-aids can't fix.

I see that a lot on Millionaire Matchmaker- the millionaire thinks that because s/he’s rich s/he’s entitled to be a jerk and still get the perfect 10. Or he’s a 5 and doesn’t understand he needs to step it up to woo a 10- the money alone won’t do it.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

I see that a lot on Millionaire Matchmaker- the millionaire thinks that because s/he’s rich s/he’s entitled to be a jerk and still get the perfect 10. Or he’s a 5 and doesn’t understand he needs to step it up to woo a 10- the money alone won’t do it.

How accurate of a portrayal is Millionaire Matchmaker though with regard to the psyche and behavior of millionaires when it comes to dating? My guess is that there's a lot we don't see. Television is produced to deliver ratings points.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    If the guy wanted a "10" and had $65,000 to spend, wouldn't it have made more sense to pick out a mail order bride from Russia??
  • christine24t
    Options

And I think it would be the other way around... none of the women liked him enough to go on a 2nd date!

Yes, I think he wanted to buy love. I don't think he wanted to go out and pick up women.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    If the guy wanted a "10" and had $65,000 to spend, wouldn't it have made more sense to pick out a mail order bride from Russia??

Hard to find a Jewish mail order bride?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Maybe his idea of beautiful is blue eyed and blonde hair and he is looking for a Jewish woman also. Most Jewish women wouldn't fit that idea of beautiful.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

Hard to find a Jewish mail order bride?

Get the "10" and then convert her = jewish 10
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    From Yahoo News (below), it sounds to me like his problem is expecting instant fireworks. Perhaps if he was willing to meet the women he picked from the profiles and spend a few dates to see if there's any potential, he might have developed some chemistry with one of them (and not needed to go out with 250!).

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/worlds-unluckiest-bachelor-6-matchmakers-250-dates-larry-204300594.html
    "His problem is he's a six and he wanted tens," Maureen Tara Nelson, one of Greenfield's former matchmakers, tells Yahoo! Shine. She claims Greenfield chose his dates through her based on photos and profiles but still came back unsatisfied. "He'd say there was no chemistry, but he picked the women!" says Nelson. At press time, Greenfield hadn't responded to a request for comment.

The Post, however, does paint Greenfield as a bit too detail-oriented. In addition to a woman who's slim, Jewish, and funny, he wants a "non-alpha"—someone who isn't committed to a career.

In New York, that type of women is increasingly rare, according to Nelson.

"He thinks because he's wealthy he could get a beautiful women, but what he doesn't realize is that beautiful women in New York are also already successful."

Maxine Gordon, a 44-year-old comedian set up with Greenfield, echoes that sentiment.

"I think he's looking for something that doesn't exist: a gorgeous, talented, Jewish woman like Natalie Portman, except 'I stay at home; I'm here to put on your slippers and clean your room,' " Gordon told The Post, after her first (and last) date with Greenfield. "He's looking for love at first sight, and everyone has imperfections. Talk to someone. Get to know them."
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    From a pure financial standpoint, this guy should have cut his losses on matchmaking services long before he ran up $65,000 worth of costs. The guy is really rich and perceives $65,000 much differently than the vast majority of people.

He could have gotten a better ROI in other ways.

Rich guys should have an advantage in the dating game, but technique still matters.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Rich guys should have an advantage in the dating game, but technique still matters.

Why should?