SHIRATAKI NOODLES

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
Anyone ever tried these? Apparently 15 cals per serving.. 0 fat 3 carbs. I think I am going to see if I can find some!!!

Replies

• miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    THEY ARE AMAZINGGGGGGG!!!!!

Beware...when you first open the package, they stink like rotten fish. You really have to let themr inse under hot water for a good 5 minutes, then boil them for another 5 to get rid of the smell.

I mix them with a laughing cow herb & garlic cheese wedge, baby shrimp, steamed onions and garlic salt. Voila! Shrimp Fettucine "Alfredo".................delicious!!!!!

Another fyi, pasta sauce does not stick to these babies very well..... slides right off, so make sure you mix in a sticky compound, like the laughing cow cheese.

Here is a GREAT site for recipes and information on these amazing delicious noodles: http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2157
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have tried them and they aren't too bad....just make sure you rinse them REALLY well Bc they smell terrible!
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just saw those at my local Hannaford supermarket the other day - had never heard of them.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    my fave is the Wilwood brand in the tomato flavour. Sooo yummy! The spinach flavour ones are good as well. However, I find the spaghettini/spaghetti yummier than the fettucine noodles. Not sure why. Less chewy? I can pretty much eat a whole bag in one sitting too....only 40 cals!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have read about them on the Hungry Girl emails I get but have never seen them locally to try. I have heard they smell really bad and need to rinse them.
  • SCSleeve2012
    SCSleeve2012 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I LOVE these noodles. With that said you have to rinse them very well. Some people boil them but I dry pan fry them and then add to what ever I'm cooking. I find the best price for them @ Harris Teeter ($1.50 - $2.50) but you can usually find them at Health food stores and Publix. They will be in the produce area with the Tofu stuff. I like the thin spaghetti best.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I really wanted to like them..I just couldn't get over the texture! :-(
  • miss_erynn
    Options

therein lies the problem! you thought about the texture too much to dislike them.

you really need to give them a couple chances with different "toppings." what did you use with it?
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    here's a couple of my dishes:

Shrimp Fettucine: 1 pack tofu shirataki fettucine noodles, half cup no-salt added black beans, 1 cup baby shrimp (with garlic and chiptole seasoning), and 1 Laughing Cow queso chipotle cheese wedge (makes enough for 2 servings!)

304686_277049025733510_67280121_n.jpg

Spinaccini: spinach tofu shirataki noodles, shrimp, chickpeas, sauteed onions, laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wedge, olive oil and garlic powder to top it off!

217941_281549751950104_981663200_n.jpg
  • ragslittle
    Options
    That looks yummy!!! I am going to try some today...got them at publix yesterday!!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    those look so yummy...what's not to like about that!! shrimp/noodles/cheese - one of my favorite combinations!!
  • pattimelz
    pattimelz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand the texture either and the fishy smell is hard to rinse off,maybe the shrimp covers some of the fishyness...I sure wish I liked them too.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options

therein lies the problem! you thought about the texture too much to dislike them.

you really need to give them a couple chances with different "toppings." what did you use with it?

I have a "texture problem" you can call it! I won't eat yogurt with fruit in it because i can't stand the chunks, cottage cheese is a huge problem for me too. I tried making the shirataki noodles like a chinese lo mein and I tried again making them like pasta with sauce..both times I couldn't stand the texture.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    did you get the chunkier ones (fettuccine)?? I started off with the little spaghettini-like ones first..............and worked my way up to the thicker noodles.

I was like you and I guess somewhat still am....I don't eat yogurt with fruit it in either. The chunks scare me...LOL!

I blend cottage cheese and salsa together using my Magic Bullet for a killer protein dip, that I put on baked sweet potatoes or use it to dip veggies or pita bread in. It took a while of me doing that before I could eat regular cottage cheese as well...chunky cheese just seems so weird, LOL.
  • ragslittle
    Options
    I loved them. I mixed the noodles with the laughing cow garlic cheese, grilled shrimp, broccoli and pineapple with a little soy sauce. YUMMO!!! Can't wait to go get some more!
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    I loved them. I mixed the noodles with the laughing cow garlic cheese, grilled shrimp, broccoli and pineapple with a little soy sauce. YUMMO!!! Can't wait to go get some more!

laughing cow is shirataki's best buddy! i find they don't soak up thinner sauces, like pasta sauce, very well.

tomorrow night (for my boyfriend) I am making a stir-fry with meatless chicken strips, chickpeas, peppers, onions and thai peanut sauce over the shirataki noodles...I'll post a pic and let ya'll know how it turns out!!!

I also post my new food finds and recipes/foods I've made on my Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.280865055351907.55192.100002852447243&type=1
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmm, one of the BEST veggie dishes I've made to date:

tofu shirataki noodles, red pepper, yellow pepper, onion, meatless chicken chunks, broccoli slaw, chickpeas and a gluten-free Thai peanut sauce

580850_293390947432651_1430008269_n.jpg
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Tried Shirataki noodles for the first time tonight - used the fettuccine noodles with some shrimp, grilled chicken, broccoli, garlic, sweet orange peppers and laughing cow cheese - it was yummy!

This was the whole thing - I of course, measured out my 2 oz! :-)

Noodles.jpg
  • jillybean65
    jillybean65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing!!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Erin - Oh My...That looks delicious, and you stopped at 2 oz!! I love how your pictures come out too by the way.