Anyone have to be on a FODMAPS diet in addition to paleo?

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
I have suffered with IBS all my life. I first eliminated wheat and then all grains a few months ago. I realized I was putting myself on a paleo diet so I did the research and made a complete switch to paleo. My digestive issues have not abated so I saw a registered dietitian today. She suggested I try the FODMAPS diet. It's for people who have fructose malabsorption and has been helpful for people with IBS. I was wondering if anyone here has tried this and what the outcome was.

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried FODMAPS because I don't have the same digestive issues as others do, but I highly suggest you read Practical Paleo because it talks about restricting for FODMAPS, specifically for digestion issues, and give you a 30-day plan to do so. This is where I also learned about the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol which is my current challenge. The book is $9.99 digitally on Amazon and it's amazing.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Your post makes me think about this one. It may be worth seeing a ND who can do a full screen for you, and pinpoint exactly what's going on with you.

http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/09-22/when-paleo-doesnt-cut-it-my-1500-lab-test-results/
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Husband has generally refused to try the FODMAPS (or anything that restricts his fruit intake-- and realistically, as long as he eats, I'm happy). We've been doing other elimination diets-- I used Dr. Junger's Clean Program as a good elimination basic (ignore the plug for the shakes). Nightshades are generally okay in limited quantities, but interestingly enough, fruit skin causes things to go all to hell (but the obvious items? totally fine).
  • idauria
    Options
    I haven't tried FODMAPS because I don't have the same digestive issues as others do, but I highly suggest you read Practical Paleo because it talks about restricting for FODMAPS, specifically for digestion issues, and give you a 30-day plan to do so. This is where I also learned about the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol which is my current challenge. The book is $9.99 digitally on Amazon and it's amazing.

Yes, I have been at her website, balancedbites and read a lot of stuff there. I have been considering buying her book because I know she addresses digestive issues. I really don't want to self diagnose so I am seeking the help of a registered dietitian. We'll see where this leads. I still might get that book though.
  • idauria
    Options
    Your post makes me think about this one. It may be worth seeing a ND who can do a full screen for you, and pinpoint exactly what's going on with you.

http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/09-22/when-paleo-doesnt-cut-it-my-1500-lab-test-results/

A naturopath is my next line of offense, if the RD I elected to see can't help me.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    This blog post might be a good read http://followingmynose.com/2012/03/fodmap-paleo-what/

I've tried to avoid fructans and fructose and this has actually helped with a 'bubbly' feeling I get if I eat something like onion soup :-)
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I took a look at foodmaps, and I couldn't go ahead with it. Fortunately, I do not have severe digestive problems.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am currently following a paleo autoimmune diet plus FODMAPS free and fructose free. My BMs are much improved and almost normal, but I'm still bloated. FODMAP and fructose intolerance can be a sign of SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). I am making an appointment to work with a functional nutritionist because I believe it is time to look at an antibiotic approach. I've listened to all of the Balanced Bites podcasts. I eat copious bone broth and fermented products, but am still bloated. I used paleo physicians network to find a doctor in my area.

Do you need advice on what to eat? I usually eat pastured meats, starchy tubers, avocados, olives, and coconut products, in addition to the fermented veggies and kombucha that I make. Fructans such as coconut, avocado, and sweet potato do not seem to bother me after reintroducing, but you should cut them out for a few days just to check.

I would say if you try a diet as strict as mine and you still have problems, definitely seek out a paleo nutritionist who can perhaps advise you on if antibiotics might be necessary.
  • idauria
    Options
    I also read about SIBO and I wonder if maybe that's my problem. But then I read that SIBO and fructose intolerance can go hand in hand. However, the diets for these are not the same. Many of the things excluded on FODMAPS are allowed on the GAPS/SCD diets, which are the treatment for SIBO. I am having a hard time finding someone who knows about these issues. I don't know what kind of practitioner to research. That's why I started with a registered dietitian. She is knowledgeable on fodmaps, but not on sibo or the other diets. She does not administer the breath tests to find out if I have either of these conditions, although I can order the tests myself through one of the several labs that offer the test. I would like to know concretely what's wrong with me without going through all the dietary hoops. So far removing all grains and dairy hasn't helped so something else is going on. I hardly eat any fruit other than blueberries or strawberries. I don't eat starchy veggies other than the occasional sweet potato. Of course the RD I saw yesterday thinks I eat too little carbs and recommended that I add some grains back into my diet. I am so confused as how to eat right now it's ridiculous. The funny thing is that I am not new to digestive issues. I have been living like this for years but just accepted that the medical community couldn't help me. Over the years seeking alternative medicine has crossed my mind, but again, I didn't know who to see, I was directionless. It really wasn't until I started doing paleo and doing the research that I came across fodmaps/sibo. So I do have a renewed sense of hope. Oh, I tried kombucha the other day and hated it. It smelled and tasted like a wine cooler, which, imo, is not a good thing. I can't tolerate any alcohol, it just burns everything. My stomach is very sensitive. I am going to start making more homemade broths. I just took a whole chicken out of the freezer and once we've eaten it I am going to make stock. Making beef stock is going to prove more difficult since I don't have bones and don't know where to get them. Any hints there?
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You really need starchy vegetables for good digestion. You should eat them every day. Bacteria eat starch and you need happy bacteria. If you eat low carb you are probably eating too much insoluble fiber, which is terrible for gut problems.

Do you eat grass fed meat? You can get bones anywhere you get meat, even at a conventional grocery store. Just ask the guy behind the counter.

You can do the GAPS diet without FODMAPS. In my opinion it's just another name for paleo, with a focus on fermented foods and bone broth. GAPS also only allows well-cooked fodmaps in bone broth on the intro diet, so you might see if you can tolerate fodmaps that way. I can usually eat carrots and broccoli if they have been cooked in broth for several hours.

I would really recommend listening to all the Balanced Bites podcasts and checking out Paleo Physicians Network or Primal Docs for a nutritionist that is paleo-friendly.

You could perhaps try a different kombucha? There are many fruit flavored ones or just non-flavored ones. Or just eat fermented vegetables. You can easily make sauerkraut, fermented pickles and carrots with just salt.
  • idauria
    Options
    Don't the bad bacteria also feed off of starchy vegetables? I was under the impression that in order to starve the bad bacteria, you should avoid eating anything starchy. I do agree with the insoluble fiber. I know that raw veggies can be hard on the digestive tract.

I just started eating grass fed meat. In fact I am looking into buying grass fed meat from a local farm. I can ask them about the bones I suppose.

As far as the gaps diet goes, in the introduction it seems the only thing you can eat is broth! Not sure if I can handle that.

I have started listening to balanced bites podcasts, lots of information and I think I am on overload. Thanks for the recommendations to find a well informed nutritionist. I'll check those out for sure.

I doubt I will continue with the kombucha. I'm just not into it. I will do the broth and maybe make my own sauerkraut. However, cabbage is not fodmap friendly so I'll have to wait on that.
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    I also read about SIBO and I wonder if maybe that's my problem. But then I read that SIBO and fructose intolerance can go hand in hand. However, the diets for these are not the same. Many of the things excluded on FODMAPS are allowed on the GAPS/SCD diets, which are the treatment for SIBO. I am having a hard time finding someone who knows about these issues. I don't know what kind of practitioner to research. That's why I started with a registered dietitian. She is knowledgeable on fodmaps, but not on sibo or the other diets. She does not administer the breath tests to find out if I have either of these conditions, although I can order the tests myself through one of the several labs that offer the test. I would like to know concretely what's wrong with me without going through all the dietary hoops. So far removing all grains and dairy hasn't helped so something else is going on. I hardly eat any fruit other than blueberries or strawberries. I don't eat starchy veggies other than the occasional sweet potato. Of course the RD I saw yesterday thinks I eat too little carbs and recommended that I add some grains back into my diet. I am so confused as how to eat right now it's ridiculous. The funny thing is that I am not new to digestive issues. I have been living like this for years but just accepted that the medical community couldn't help me. Over the years seeking alternative medicine has crossed my mind, but again, I didn't know who to see, I was directionless. It really wasn't until I started doing paleo and doing the research that I came across fodmaps/sibo. So I do have a renewed sense of hope. Oh, I tried kombucha the other day and hated it. It smelled and tasted like a wine cooler, which, imo, is not a good thing. I can't tolerate any alcohol, it just burns everything. My stomach is very sensitive. I am going to start making more homemade broths. I just took a whole chicken out of the freezer and once we've eaten it I am going to make stock. Making beef stock is going to prove more difficult since I don't have bones and don't know where to get them. Any hints there?

My husband was misdiagnosed for awhile before finally getting the gastroparesis diagnosis. So sorry! Crucifers and fruit skin seem to be what send him over the edge; sometimes it's fats and steak (which are hard to digest too). His gastroenterologist has been a great resource regarding food triggers, and others we just have to learn on our own.

Hopefully your RD can help out, but you might want to consider a gastroenterologist too, depending on exactly what's going on.
  • idauria
    Options
    I have been to so many gasto docs over the years. I have seen 2 in the past few years. They all do the same thing...endoscopy, which reveals nothing and then suggest I avoid fried, spicy foods, chocolate, alcohol, eat more fiber. The basic mantra for IBS sufferers. None of this has solved my issues. I am not hopeful that the RD I am seeing will off much help beyond fodmaps, which I honestly don't think will make a difference. She didn't know anything about SIBO or the GAPS diet. She has heard of the hydrogen breath test but she isn't able to get it for me, something about not being certified. I suppose I could go back to my gastro and ask him to order me one. I am probably due to see him soon anyway since my rxn for Protonix is running out.
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    The husband has idiopathic gastroparesis with IBS... multiple endoscopies, colonoscopies, and a gastric emptying test (which finally diagnosed it). He's been through the gamut with this. Definitely feel your pain on this one :(

My GI doctor told me that food had nothing to do with my IBS... ugh.

The husband's doctor is fantastic (even if he thinks we're a bit weird with Paleo, but told him to keep doing anything that improved symptoms). I will be very sad when he retires here soon and we have to train another.