Advice, please

Options
Barbara2420
Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
I had an RNY 2/28/12 and have lost 88 pounds. That is great, no question, however....... I am basically stuck at that amount. In the past month, I have lost 3 pounds and none in the last 2 weeks. For exercise, it's a prescribed program at the gym 3 days a week and walk 2.5 miles 3 other days a week. My caloric intake has increased from 700 to 1000 cals. Any advice??? It's a frustrating!

Replies

• ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Be patient....it slows down the closer you get to goal. I am struggling with the last 10 - 20 myself. You may want to kick up your exercise a bit or change your routine. Sometimes our body needs a jump start because it gets used to the same routine....you will get there...keep working the program!!!
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You really should bump up your calories, your body is possibly in starvation mode which means it's not going to let go of an more fat... Obviously ask your nutritionist but I've done a bunch of reading and that's what it sounds like to me...

FYI-I'm 3 months post-op and eating about 1,200 calories per day and adding back in the calories I burn at the gym as well...
  • ansandall
    Options
    More protien usually kick starts it. Also, when I am stuck, I do just protien shakes for a day or two and it helps me get back I. Track and make better food choices. 10/31/12 will be one year post op for me and I've lost 160lb. You will have stalls, try not to let them get you down, you'll get past it.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Are you still getting enough protein and eating that first? I know I am still a newbie in terms of only being 6 weeks post op, but this is something that has been stressed at every appt and meeting I've been to.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal weight it comes off much slower. Same thing happens to our non-surgical weight loss pals. I've got about 30 pounds to go to goal and I'm lucky to lose 5 pounds in a month now and I'm only 5 months post op. My nutritionist says it's normal and that you must be careful as you can eat more to not start falling into old bad habits; my fitness trainer just says to change things up, trick the body, get a new routine.

I'm still having some trouble with Digitalreactions post and can't decide if he is trolling, my apology in advance if he's not and I've simply misunderstood something but here goes. My surgeon had me on a 1200 calorie diet before surgery and he probably wouldn't have recommended I have the surgery if the goal was just to get to 1200 again and stretch the pouch as soon as I could. I'm 5 months out and am still only able to eat 1/2 cup to a 1 cup serving of something depending on it's density and at 3 meals a day that doesn't come anywhere near 1200 yet. In another post from yesterday digitalreaction said he eats out 3 times a week, this is exactly the kind of habit my surgeon wanted me to break before surgery and there is no way I could have done it 3 months post. So while being able to maintain our weight on a "normal" caloric intake is all of our goals I don't know if I would rush into taking his advice, especially without talking to my surgical team. Also be very skeptical of people who have reported having surgery and think starvation mode is real because they have somehow missed the point. Can eating a calorie deficit for an extended period of time slow your metablisim, yes, will you stop burning fat stores, no. Eating more does not in and of itself increase metabolism or we would have never gotten fat in the first place because we'd have super awesome metabolisms.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat out during the week.... eat 1200 calories a day..............am 6 months out.....................and am still dropping like a fly...with only 12lbs to goal. I'll be there in a few weeks. Then I set my next 25 lbs goal. I ultimately want to weigh 125 (to 130) and I have no doubt in my mind I will be there by my one year mark next March.

It stuns me how people, though, at 6 months, say they cant eat. NOT EATING wont help you lose weight at all...............................
  • Barbara2420
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will try the increase in exercise--walking an additional day or two. Patience has never been one of my strong points!
  • Barbara2420
    Options
    Yes, I am pretty careful with my protein. I have had significant hair loss, so make sure I get enough, take my biotin, etc.
    Thank you
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will try the increase in exercise--walking an additional day or two. Patience has never been one of my strong points!

do you have an iPhone/Blackberry/Android? There's an awesome app called Endomondo that tracks all your exercise for you from walking to canoeing. You just choose the one you want, press start and it tracks duration, speed, length, etc. It's a handy little app and I use it from my walking and hiking so I know when I've walked/jogged my daily 5km! And it's FREE!!!!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    Like everyone said, be patient! You are doing great! Your body went through a huge change and lost a lot of weight already. It might just need some time to catch up. Its normal. You can try doing the suggestions like everyone said to try and jump start the weight loss, it wouldn't hurt, but remember it is normal for the weight loss to slow down and even plateau. Keep up the great work!
  • Barbara2420
    Options
    I will try that app! Thanks.
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too had hair loss and nail breakage and brittleness. I found Dr Lessman, Hair, Skin and Nails formula on HSN and got it and it has worked so well. I take 2 a day and my hair is thick and my nail are 100% better condition. Not trying to sell the product but it worked wonders for me.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My weight loss slowed to a crawl after about 5 months. I found that increasing my calories a bit and increasing my protein helped sort of kick start me again.
  • sgmcat
    sgmcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    great!!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options

do you have an iPhone/Blackberry/Android? There's an awesome app called Endomondo that tracks all your exercise for you from walking to canoeing. You just choose the one you want, press start and it tracks duration, speed, length, etc. It's a handy little app and I use it from my walking and hiking so I know when I've walked/jogged my daily 5km! And it's FREE!!!!

You can now also sync this app up with MFP