Inspirational Tuesday

Options
INSPIRATIONAL TUESDAY: Tell us what motivates you most. What are your goals? Have a good quote you recently heard or a recent non-scale victory to share? We'd love to hear it!

Replies

• LaDonnaLoves
    LaDonnaLoves Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So, many of you know my journey has been looooong. This go round has been the most successful, as I started toward the end of last year and for 8 straight months, lost consistently, for a total of 80 lbs. I have been stuck in a rutt, recently, however, I maintain that I haven't gained (not without immediately taking it all back off within a matter of weeks, anyway). I'm still trucking, but I keep losing interest. I make no excuses and have just resolved to maintaining for a little while. Does anyone esle go through this? It's not a plateau, I lose, I gain, I lose, I gain, it's what I foresee as "normal" but i'm still obese, so I don't want to be normal right now!

My motivation - getting into a new size before the end of the year is my new goal. It's just a little tiny amount to go, I can do it!
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I go through that same thing a lot. I know it happens but it is still very discouraging. I have been doing the same thing for only 2 weeks this time and I want to scream, but a couple of times I spent about 4 or 5 months going up and down and going nowhere. Don't give up. It will happen.

I saw a quote yesterday that I loved and I think I need to post on my wall for times like this:

We are made to persist. That's how we find out who we are."
    – Tobias Wolff
  • BernaRoche
    BernaRoche Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think even maintaining a 10 pound weight loss is progress (each 10 pounds gives unmeasurable gains in long term health, I've been told). So to see people who have done SO much for themselves, like losing 50-100 lbs or more, is so inspirational. Never doubt that it is all worth it. The long term benefits to the weight loss are what's at stake. I have been inspired by so many of you to keep at my long term goal of 50 pounds. When I first started losing weight (after hitting my all time high of 202), I thought I would get back to my HS weight of 135. At 175, I felt so comfortable at my current fitness level (2 years ago), that I got complacent about it. Now I am aiming for "normal" weight of 145, and I really feel that I can do that, just given enough time, motivation, and support. I thank God every day for the inspirational and motivational encouragement that I get from you all and from my family. I know I'll hit plateaus too, but that is when I'll need the most help. Even if the plateau lasts uncomfortably long, all the work that got to that place is AWESOME!

Something that inspired me: I found out that a colleague, let's call her MD, at work is prepping to run a 5K. She and I both had breast cancer around the same time (she is about 15 years older than me), and she gained a lot of weight and couldn't get it off. She even had trouble walking (maybe arthritis?). So, I don't know if it was the weight loss, the exercise program she started, or a knee/hip replacement that got her going again, but she is looking amazing! I have to stop in some day soon and find out what her secret is, but meantime, I saw the C25K come up a bunch on MFP, and I decided to try it today. I did ok - got to a 3.5 mph 40 minutes, and the dog loved it too! So, if MD can do it, so can I, I figure!
  • doit2013
    doit2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my inspirational moment this week comes from the Oprah show...the quote was "whatever follows 'I am' will eventually come back to find you"...

I usually try to be a pretty positive person, but have caught myself a few times following 'I am' with something negative or maybe just non-productive...
  • Holdenke1
    Holdenke1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think even maintaining a 10 pound weight loss is progress (each 10 pounds gives unmeasurable gains in long term health, I've been told). So to see people who have done SO much for themselves, like losing 50-100 lbs or more, is so inspirational. Never doubt that it is all worth it. The long term benefits to the weight loss are what's at stake. I have been inspired by so many of you to keep at my long term goal of 50 pounds. When I first started losing weight (after hitting my all time high of 202), I thought I would get back to my HS weight of 135. At 175, I felt so comfortable at my current fitness level (2 years ago), that I got complacent about it. Now I am aiming for "normal" weight of 145, and I really feel that I can do that, just given enough time, motivation, and support. I thank God every day for the inspirational and motivational encouragement that I get from you all and from my family. I know I'll hit plateaus too, but that is when I'll need the most help. Even if the plateau lasts uncomfortably long, all the work that got to that place is AWESOME!

Something that inspired me: I found out that a colleague, let's call her MD, at work is prepping to run a 5K. She and I both had breast cancer around the same time (she is about 15 years older than me), and she gained a lot of weight and couldn't get it off. She even had trouble walking (maybe arthritis?). So, I don't know if it was the weight loss, the exercise program she started, or a knee/hip replacement that got her going again, but she is looking amazing! I have to stop in some day soon and find out what her secret is, but meantime, I saw the C25K come up a bunch on MFP, and I decided to try it today. I did ok - got to a 3.5 mph 40 minutes, and the dog loved it too! So, if MD can do it, so can I, I figure!

Berna, you are so right that even 10 lbs loss is beneficial to your health, not to mention your mental health. I haven't lost 10 lbs yet, but am confident that I will do it this year. Isn't it amazing how much control our minds have over us. You know the saying, "if I set my mind to it, I can do it". That is so true. We have so much potential in life - even past the weight loss. Your friend, MD, must have set her mind to losing weight. You and I (and all our friends on myfitnesspal) can lose the weight. Let's just set our mind to it - no matter what happens today. Seize the day!
  • doit2013
    Options
    My inspirational thought for the week comes from a fortune cookie...

"Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it..."

Also, I've become a stalker, and have found a rockstar blogger. Not only has he lost I think around 140 lbs, but he's an incredible writer, and very thought provoking...

I can't seem to copy and paste with my iPad...I'm a bit challenged, technologically speaking :) but his MFP name is Rainman3k. If you have the chance, I highly recommend reading his blogs.
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    My inspirational thought for the week comes from a fortune cookie...

"Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it..."

Also, I've become a stalker, and have found a rockstar blogger. Not only has he lost I think around 140 lbs, but he's an incredible writer, and very thought provoking...

I can't seem to copy and paste with my iPad...I'm a bit challenged, technologically speaking :) but his MFP name is Rainman3k. If you have the chance, I highly recommend reading his blogs.

Oh I'm definitely gonna check out Rainman3k. :glasses:
  • Holdenke1
    Options

I went back to Berna's comment for my Tuesday inspirational quote. I agree that losing and maintaining a 10 lb loss is progress. Especially during the holiday season, when people tend to gain 5 - 10 lbs. If we can just keep off the weight we've lost, that is definitely progress. Also, the fact that we get motivation from each other on this site is one of the reasons I stick to to MFP. Good luck to you Berna to get to that 145 goal weight.
  • doit2013
    Options
    Too busy to do this yesterday, but better late than never, haha!

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas A. Edison 

Inspiration for the week...stolen from rainman3k ;)
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    Too busy to do this yesterday, but better late than never, haha!

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas A. Edison 

Inspiration for the week...stolen from rainman3k ;)

You know, I think this is a very good quote for this week too. "The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. by Thomas Edison. " It reminds me of that song that says "they fall down, they get up." I don't know the name of it, although it is saying even the best of us humans fall down, and the key is to get back up again and again.
  • doit2013
    Options
    This was on my Facebook this morning:

"If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse."

It smacked me upside the head a bit...ouch...I've spent a good portion of my life making excuses...
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    This was on my Facebook this morning:

"If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse."

It smacked me upside the head a bit...ouch...I've spent a good portion of my life making excuses...

But you've lost 13 lbs. So you are finding a way. It may not be as fast as you'd like it to be, but you are doing really well! I can't wait until I lose 13 lbs!
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! Something that inspires me is not feeling drawn to sweets any longer. Since I've been trying to eat healthier, I don't go to the ice cream and chocolate syrup for my calories, because I don't want to waste those precious calories. And since it's been more than a month since I've been cutting down on sweets, I find that I do not crave them. And that feels really good! It makes me feel as though I can really do this! :smile:
  • doit2013
    Options
    Ugh...not feeling very inspired today...

Anyone else want to share??
  • DannaBoston
    Options
    "You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it." I have to keep reminding myself that God will not give me more than I can handle..although sometimes I wish He would take some of this burden away. I would love to live a normal life again, if only for a day
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Difficult doesn't mean impossible, it just means you have to work hard.

I don't know who said it, but I love the quote. It may be difficult not to gain weight through the holidays. But that doesn't mean it's impossible!
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    It's been a month since anyone posted anything on "Inspirational Tuesday". Maybe that's because it's hard to talk about something that inspires us. I don't have anything to say about my inspirations, although I wanted to get a post in. Somehow, just posting on MFP helps me out. Maybe it just keeps me focused on what my goals are, to lose weight and be healthier. To remember to take a moment and think about what my needs are. Staying connected. Although sometimes I feel like I'm typing into cyberspace - I guess I am. So maybe I should write something that will inspire others. The fact that I am struggling after the holidays to get back on track, that 1200 calories doesn't seem like much after I've eaten 800 by lunchtime. How does that happen? Is anyone else struggling out there? I know I just have to keep going thru the motions even though I don't feel like it. To keep going - get that weight off and then to keep it off. I can do it! Chug - chug - chug....
  • doit2013
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean...and I just keep logging in...everyday, and I'm inspired by people who have some measure of success. Some have met or are near their goal, some are halfway there, but all of them have the same thing in common...they keep working it :)

I'm in the April fools challenge...it's a pretty active group that started last week. Daily posting helps keep me focused and keeps me connected with like minded people!
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    I'm going to check out the April's Fool challenge. Thanks .