Cramp in the foot

Options
sarahcuddle
sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
Recently I have been increasing the duration of my swims. Up from 45 minutes to an hour or so and pushing myself to see how far I can swim in the time. The last couple of times I have got a cramp in one foot. It's not serious and goes away when I stop for a minute and exercise the foot. Does anyone know what causes this or how to prevent it?

Thanks

Sarah

Replies

• sarahcuddle
    Options
    Just did a search and someone said eat bananas (presumably for potassium) and drink water. Some people also mention sodium and one person said it was calcium ???
  • sarahcuddle
    Options
    anyone?
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sorry Sarah took me so long to write a reply. I have had the same thing happen to me. It is weird it is ALWAYS my right foot. I don't know why. I've never researched it but I realized that everyone where I swim that is there for a longer duration has not only their kickboards, etc at the end of the lane, but also water.

Hydrate while swimming. I started bringing my water bottle into the pool area with me - hard to think about initially as you are IN water. :laugh: I found as I have increased the duration of my swims I need to drink up! :drinker:
    I haven't had a foot cramp since.

I also take aquacize (water aerobics class) twice a week, and then follow it by lap swimming. If I don't drink at least 16 oz after class - I'll get that dreaded foot cramp before I finish 100 yards.