DX imbalanced nutrition, more than body requires

Options
Weight gain and nursing school go hand in hand. That's how I got here! I gained almost 20 lbs last year in my first year of nursing school in the RN program...

So here I am, a sophomore, and I am on the downward slide... six pounds gone, 15 to go. I have different theories about why exactly nursing school make you fat.

1) If you study and sit in class more than 10 hours a day, you are being sedentary.
2) When you are studying and eating you are not paying attention to what you are eating and how much.
3) Really crazy hard tests and insane amounts of homework increase cortisol levels, thus increasing weight gain...

What are your theories people?

Replies

• Francesca941
    Options
    Dx: I think you hit the nail on the head! ;-) I gained about 30 lbs in 2 years and now I have lost about 16. I'm attempting to be at my goal by graduation in March!
    Intervention: Since I'm still mostly sedentary I'm just trying to keep a close eye on how much and what I am eating.
    Evaluation: Seems to be working for the moment.
    ;-)
  • studentnurseJ
    Options
    Nice intervention. I have been working out a little, 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there... My problem is I get hungry when I work out... so maybe I need to try the other route. I was just checking out what you have been eating. Not to be a creeper lol. But you make really good choices. I need to cut cheese, just say goodbye to the stuff because I love it, crave it, want to marry it.
  • jessicawilliams89
    Options
    That makes 2 of us..cheese = to die for!! My fiance and I are going to try the Paleo or "caveman" lifestyle: eliminate all processed foods, all grains, and dairy products. The caveman diet only allows foods that would have been available to the hunter-gatherer societies of the past. These include meats, fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, mushrooms, insects and herbs. A high protein, low carbs/surgars/sodium diet. Since I love cheese so much, I don't know how long I can last. Wish me luck :-)