The Mind Is the Battlefield

Options
Simple6
Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
"God never loses a battle.......let me repeat that: GOD NEVER LOSES A BATTLE! He has a definite battle plan---and when we follow it, we ALWAYS WIN!"

My dear friends, as I studied this week. I wondered what to share with you. Here are some points that really have been my heart focus from this week's study.

:heart: Ephesians 6:11(AMP) Put on God’s whole armor [the armor of a heavy-armed soldier which God supplies], that you may be able successfully to stand up against [all] the strategies and the deceits of the devil.

The devil has a planned offensive to attack, accuse and destroy us. Praise God that God always plans ahead. He has given us weapons and armor that allow us to successfully stand up against ALL strategies of the devil. Woo Whoo! We are meant for victory. This is God's plan for us! God's plan for you.....yes, you, is for complete and total victory!

:bigsmile: I would like you to think about the situation in your life that is, at this moment the hardest, see if you can recognize the enemy's strategy to defeat you. Do you see half truths that are based on circumstances, situations and people and not on what God's Word says? Now, look at this situation with the thought that only victory can come out of this because I am learning to put on and wear the armor of God daily. What does that same situation look like through the victory "lenses" of God? What does God's victory for you in this situation feel like? What can God do? We often spend so much time thinking about we don't have, or don't see, don't know or can't do instead of what God says and what God can do. One of my favorite thoughts is "If God can raise the dead He can answer this situation for me. If God can part the sea and bring the Israelites across on dry land how much more can He do for me? Time to learn a new way of warring.........engaging in battle for His victory!

:heart: 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (AMP) For the weapons of our warfare are not physical [weapons of flesh and blood], but they are mighty before God for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds, 5 [Inasmuch as we] refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One),

He has given us mighty weapons......we are equipped with the state of the art Devil overcoming equipment. Yet, I find myself often resorting to shouting in frustration and anger and throwing rocks and sticks. Totally ineffective method that is usually self destructive for me. God knew we would have places in our thoughts that we are holding strong to. He created us that way. He wants us to build strongholds in our thinking that honor and glorify Him. The enemy tries to use this against us. When we hold strong to thoughts that are contrary to God's Word concerning the situation it becomes a resting place or stronghold of the enemy of our soul, even the worship of our selves. We must tear it down. We can tear it down and totally destroy it with the weapons He has given us. The first and most important step in this battle is recognizing the truth.

:bigsmile: How can I determine if a stronghold in my thinking is God occupied or a resting place for self worship? Who is glorified by this thought? Does this thought bring faith(comes from God) or fear(a tool of Satan.) Would God think this thought? Does this thought bring peace? God is the God of peace. Does this thought bring life or death? Will the actions that come from this pattern of thought birth actions that will honor God? Thoughts determine our actions AND THEY ALSO DIRECT OUR EMOTIONS!

:heart: John 8:31-32 (AMP) So Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples. 32 And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.

What truth are we holding fast to? Is it what we feel? Is it what we see? Is it patterns of thinking that are a habit.....we've always thought this way so it must be so? There is only one truth and His name is Jesus. John 14:6(AMP) Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me. We must get the knowledge of God's truth in us, renew our minds with His Word, than use the weapons of 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 to tear down the strongholds and every high and lofty thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. Taking the time to check what we are feeling or seeing or hearing against what we know of God is mandatory in receiving the victory that God has for us. So it is important we know God. This is why renewing our mind to what God thinks and says is so very vital. For me this started with a prayer in which I prayed "Lord help me to seek you first with my feelings, thoughts and words. Help me to recognize when I am stepping out of being lead by your Spirit and into being lead by my opinion, wants and desires. What should I feel about this? What should I think about this? How should I see this situation? These are simple baby steps. Yet, God has been meeting me every step I take.

:bigsmile: I want to encourage you to take baby steps too. Asking God to show you where your strongholds are and then expecting them to be demolished in a day is not realistic. Those patterns of thoughts have taken years to build. Begin by trusting God to help you hide His word in your heart. I asked Him about my wrong patterns of thinking concerning food and here I am almost six month later......still learning but increasing in wisdom and the fruits of discipline and overcoming in many areas. The strongholds of wrong thinking are being demolished. To God be all the glory!

Father,

I just pray that as my sisters and I seek you, that we would be taught by You. We just repent for allowing our thoughts to flow through our mind unchecked and unguarded. For years of building strongholds that aren't places you reside. We ask you to be the Lord of our thinking, doing and speaking. We want to be lead by your Holy Spirit in all that we think, do and say. Thank you for helping us to know You as the Truth. Help us to grow in that truth. Help us to renew our minds and practice it so we may be transformed and prove what is your good, acceptable and perfect will. Please help us to take the steps this week to begin being aware of what we are thinking and how it is affecting our life. Help us to recognize the strategies of the devil and to be able to overcome them. Teach us to war! Help us understand how to hold our weapons, how to engage in battle and how to destroy the enemy. In Jesus Name Amen.

Now, dearest friends, I wish to encourage discussion and application. So please share what you are learning.....can be a challenge you are facing or a revelation that came as you set your heart to learn about His ways. What you have to say is important and needed on this board. Each of you are called by God for this study. :heart:

Replies

• Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Sisters!

A few things came to my mind as I was reading Sis Jenni's post.

1) What are the battles in my life RIGHT now?

2) Do I really know how to prioritize them according to God's will.

3) NOT reading the Bible has been a HUGE stumbling block for me. (I don't seem to "get it" like some of my friends do.) I tend to take things very "literally" and get frustrated when reading the Bible, and Jesus uses parables. To me, a tree is a tree, not a symbol of something else.
    Example: The fig tree that Jesus passed on His way to Bethany with the 12 Disciples, in the Gospels..I am reading from Mark 11:13-14, and 21-26. I know in service's one day, my Pastor explained it. But, I cannot read it from the Bible and understand it.

ERRR!:grumble: So, I AVOID reading the actual Bible except in church.

4) Do I have the faith in Christ that it will take to see this through? ANSWER: YES!!:bigsmile :heart::bigsmile: :heart:
    Do I have an active support system to help me through this venture? Yes and No. I will have to rely on you, my new sister's, as I have no real life friends.
    Let me clarify that statement. I was medically retired from Nursing in 2009. I WAS super active, had a lot of acquaintance friends and 2 special friends. Since my subsequent hospitalizations, and forced retirement, I lost touch with all my Nursing friends-(the Majority of my friends) and after moving out of town and then back to take care of my mom (my bestie friend), I lost track of everyone. And now, my Bestie has passed~R.I.P Mom Sept 11, 2012.:cry::brokenheart:
    So, I don't work-am not allowed to medically. No work=no meeting people=no friends.:ohwell:
    Small church=1 woman my age-she works and cares for her ill hubby=no friends.:ohwell:
    MFP=Cyber friends=only friends. But, I sincerely love and cherish each and every one of you!:heart::heart: :heart:

DO NOT cry for me Argentina lol.JESUS is my bestie and true friend. He is the one I go to now for all things!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Lately, the Devil and his minions have placed a full on attack for my soul and loyalty to Jesus. IT IS NOT WORKING!! WaHoot!!
    My God is bigger than anything that stinking devil can throw at me. How do I know this? Because, unfortunately, I spoke out, and said, I would DIE if I lost my mom or my daughter. I HAVE NOT DIED. He (Satan) has taken everything from me, but cannot, will not kill my faithfulness to my Lord Jesus Christ, who cleansed me from all my iniquities when He shed His precious blood on the cross for you and I.

As Jenni said: "GOD NEVER LOSES A BATTLE!" I am SEEKING His battle plan, to follow it and reside in Heaven, where He has built a HOME for me and you!

I am ready to GIRD MY LOINS and join the Heavenly forces to battle this Disgraced angel from HELL.

And, the first step I can take in this mission, is PRAY for knowledge and wisdom when reading my BIBLE, study it, meditate on it, open my brain and heart to the message the Holy Spirit wants me to receive, and then ACT on it. Be prepared for those sudden attacks on my EMOTIONS, which are ruling my life right now. Get a grip on TRUTH TALK, and memorize Bible verses, so that when I am out and about, and the EVIL one crosses the line, I can take a stand, and speak TRUTH to myself instead of the negative thought's I so often have.

Seriously, if I was not a target (by my EMOTIONALISM), things would be so much better in my life. I would not pile one negative though on top of another and then spiral and circle the drain into deep depression. I know my GOD is bigger than my depression. But I also know, it is my responsibility to flip the switch on negative thinking with verses from the Bible that changes my mindset from being the one "attacked" to the ATTACKER. When I say the name JESUS out loud, I know it burns Satan's ears, and he slither's away, burnt from the sound of His name. JESUS! JESUS!

I know also, that I was BOUGHT with a price..the life of the Son, Jesus..so that I may have everlasting life. It is my duty, as a child of the living Christ, to keep my body, mind and soul cleansed, and the only way to do that is to PRAY unceasingly, ask for FORGIVENESS when I sin, and ask even for those sin's I may have done without my knowledge, and to let the Lord into every dark place in my body, mind, and soul..to spread His light. The Light of TRUTH.

Well Sisters..I have probably way over-shared..I am NOT SORRY!!:noway: I LOVE talking about the Lord, and the miracles He has done in my life. I praise and worship Him daily. Yes, I am a HOLY ROLLER..Singing and dancing my praise!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

God Bless Each and EVERY one of you and your loved ones as well..:flowerforyou:
    Trying to walk the Narrow Road..
    Sis Nicolette
  • Simple6
    Options
    And, the first step I can take in this mission, is PRAY for knowledge and wisdom when reading my BIBLE, study it, meditate on it, open my brain and heart to the message the Holy Spirit wants me to receive, and then ACT on it. Be prepared for those sudden attacks on my EMOTIONS, which are ruling my life right now. Get a grip on TRUTH TALK, and memorize Bible verses, so that when I am out and about, and the EVIL one crosses the line, I can take a stand, and speak TRUTH to myself instead of the negative thought's I so often have.

Seriously, if I was not a target (by my EMOTIONALISM), things would be so much better in my life. I would not pile one negative though on top of another and then spiral and circle the drain into deep depression. I know my GOD is bigger than my depression. But I also know, it is my responsibility to flip the switch on negative thinking with verses from the Bible that changes my mindset from being the one "attacked" to the ATTACKER. When I say the name JESUS out loud, I know it burns Satan's ears, and he slither's away, burnt from the sound of His name. JESUS! JESUS!

[/quote]

SIs Nicolette,

I loved what you shared and also how you shared it. I can see the focus of your battle is lifting up Jesus. As I was reading your post I was struck by something you said. " I would not pile one negative though on top of another and then spiral and circle the drain into deep depression." I am beginning to see that one of the enemy's strategies is to get me to accept not just one thought that is just off a little but several. Those wrong thoughts travel in hordes. So the minute I allow one access the door is pushed open to my soul. For instance....I will be doing something and I make a mistake, I will say, "I am such an idiot!" Then the next thought will be "Why am I so stupid?" Then the next thought will be "I always screw up!" From this point it is a down hill ride to total demoralizing myself. Negative thoughts are rapid reproducers that always travel in packs. This week I have been really learning to recognize that first wrong thought. The minute I think "I am such a idiot," that becomes my cue to take that thought captive. I have been having success by saying to myself "You are not an idiot. 2 Tim. 1:7 says that I have a sound calm mind that is well balanced." What if you recognized the minute that those thoughts come to you to saying " I can't understand the bible?' You got your Word rope and capture it taking it captive so no more wrong thoughts could invade your thinking. What if you spoke out Psalms 32:8? It is the Lord who is instructing me and teaching me in the way which I should go: He is guiding me with His eyes upon me. So I He will help me understand what He wants me to know.

What do you ladies think? Have you noticed that wrong thoughts travel in herds?
  • Snitch1
    Options
    Ladies: Yes, Jenni is right, the negative thought's brought on by the UNGODLY one does NOT travel alone. They are in Packs, like feral animals, waiting to attack.

Today, I went to swim for 1/2 hour, before the pool changed from lap swimming to Rec swimming. I had finished my swimming, and showered, was picking up my belongings, and who show's up? My daughter-who told me last week that she no longer want's to "Deal with the problems of our relationship, and NO, we (Jon and I) will not be seeing the kid's anymore." Talk about a slap in the face. Well, we prayed about it, and decided to let her be. She is going through a divorce, and as we all know, sadness and anger can produce enough heart-ache that sometimes you lash out on the wrong people. So, we are turning our cheeks.

But, seeing her today, with my grandkiddo's with MY SISTER:( Who, BTW has made my life highly unpleasant for the last 6 months,) just tore my heart in half. Not being Catty here, just the FACT's.

My daughter said hello, and of course the kiddo's were glad to see their YaYa, and I think Natalie ALMOST was going to ask me to stay..but I turned back to the shower room and just Yelled for Jesus..

IMMEDIATELY, SATAN and his MINION's were there, putting negative thought's into my mind. "She loves Sharon (sister) more than me, her mother." Why am I getting LEFT OUT?" "This is SOOOO UNFAIR" Yada, Yada.

I just sobbed, literally to Jesus to bind my thought's, to capture the negative emotions I felt rising and bind them as well. Satan, literally hurling negative thought's, on top of thought's and emotions..was being attacked by the demons and CAME THROUGH, as MY GOD is BIGGER than SATAN.

A Spanish speaking lady was in there, came up to me as I was praying, laid her beautiful comforting hand on my arm..asked in broken English, if I was hurt. Relayed to her the best I could, that I was heartbroken at seeing my daughter/kiddo's with my sister..she was so sweet..she prayed with me. God is so good at bringing people at just the exact moment in time for you..Awesome!

I do admit, on the ride home..I EMOTIONALLY ate 8 Twizzlers's. But, PTL (Praise the Lord), that is all I did. I prayed and prayed and when I arrived home, I made myself a healthy lunch, and sat down at this computer to say:

There is NO PLACE IN MY LIFE FOR SATAN AND NEGATIVE THOUGHT'S. NOPE, NO WHERE, NO WAY, NO HOW, NADA, NICHT, NEIN. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The Lord is my Savior, and I shall not want. He leadeth me through green pastures, through the Valley of despair. He is stronger than my temptations, stronger than my self pity, stronger than anything, and LOYAL..there is NOTHING that can compare to His loyalty.

I have been so tempted to think/say negative things about my sister and my child..but I will NOT GIVE IN to Satan's poor plan of ATTACK.

I Banish you, Satan from my HOME, MY thought's, MY words..I have been BOUGHT by the BLOOD of JESUS,
    He has cleansed me of my iniquities..JESUS..

I see you Satan burning, you snake!

My Father, to all is your GLORY to ALL is your Praises and the victory of winning my soul is your's and your's alone JESUS!!

Jesus, maker of all things GOOD, and RIGHTEOUS, welcome to my home, my heart, my mind, my soul..FOREVER!!
    I Feel the Holy Ghost's presence in all that has transpired today.
    I am so BLESSED!!

We can win this war against the pack of minions the Devil sends forth to break us down, to bend our will. TOGETHER we are strong..Memorize those verses, so that when you are alone, like I was today, you can banish the Evil one from your presence.

MAY THE LORD BLESS ALL OF YOU ABUNDANTLY!!

SIS NICOLETTE
  • Simple6
    Options
    Dearest Sis Nicolette,

Thank you so much for sharing this.....I really see the heart ache and the hurt of this experience but I also see that you honored God.....you made a definite choice to chose Him. I just want to applaud you. Emotions are very hard to corral and control. Yet when you trust God, He always helps. My heart rejoices that you were helped by Him.

As I was reading your post I really love something that you did.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5(AMP)
    4 For the weapons of our warfare are not physical [weapons of flesh and blood], but they are mighty before God for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds,
    5 [Inasmuch as we] refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One),

You thought a thought and felt it dragging you.....you recognized that your thoughts were leading you and you took back control. Bravo! Well Done! Our thoughts are not supposed to lead us.....we are to lead our thoughts. This is an important point because our thoughts are very capable of totally leading us places we don't want to go. We are not to be thought lead or emotionally lead but Spirit lead. We can only worship one thing at a time in our lives. We will either bow down to our emotions or to our thoughts or to the Holy Spirit. Choose this day whom ye will serve?......As for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15. This is what you have chosen in these relationships.

I know that even this situation God can use for your good. Wounds often hinder our vision. Ask the Lord what to think about your immediate response to seeing your sis and daughter together. I am finding in my own life that God will often allow me to face the pain to bring it out and cleanse me of it. My good friend made a innocent comment that I was lonely. That immediately provoked a strong feeling in me. I took a moment to seek the Lord in my heart about my response and I saw fear and shame about what she was saying to me. Now I know those are not tools of the Lord but of the Devil. Yet, they were the response of my soul because of an old wound that I hadn't realized was not heal well. God used this moment to help me recognize an open place that allowed the devil access to my soul. A broken place in my wall, if you will. His strategy is to strike at weak places. So it is important to know which places in our soul are healed and which are in process. So we can guard against the enemy in those areas more efficiently. I have been asking the Lord to teach me how to guard my heart. I just pray that for you too concerning your sis and daughter.

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life.
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would like to start off by stating that tonight, God answered a prayer that I have prayed about recently. My husband and I always seem to be on the opposite page when it comes to God. We both believe, we both have faith, we both believe in the Holy Spirit, but we never come together to praise or worship Him. I wanted this really badly. Well today, I asked my husband, after I read Chapter 1, if he would read the book and work on the study guide questions with me so that we can discuss and learn from one another as I am doing here on MFP. He said yes! He actually sat down to read it, and then afterwards we went through the study guide questions. I really enjoyed my time with him doing this and actually learned a few things about Him that he has never discussed with me before.

Now, I can can relate to what both Jenni and Sis Nic stated in their discussions. I have had negative thought patterns in my mind about myself for as long as I can remember. My list is very lengthy. Basically, I do not feel very highly of myself and one negative thought after another roam in my mind continually. A monster of a battle! A lof of it stems from my upbringing. And I will share with you ladies something personal. I am in group therapy for sexual abuse. I have been in therapy for a couple of years, but only found out about a year ago, my issues had to do with the sexual abuse, though, other forms of abuse was in my life as well, such as mental and verbal. I never thought any of the mental or verbal was considered abusive until a year ago, to me growing up, it just was a way of life. I do not remember the sexual abuse, and that is what is very confusing. I do not remember actual events or the actual person or possible persons. I was date raped at 17, which I do remember. I have since last year had some repressed memories come out. At first I thought I only witnessed abuse on a sibling, but am finding through the course of therapy and prayer, that I was most likely the victim of the abuse as well.

Tonight, after reading chapter 1 and thinking about what I have read, and then trying to eat dinner, I became very ill feeling. I had a sick feeling in my stomach and became very irritable. I went to take my shower and in the shower I began to sob. In my thoughts, the past patterns of my early childhood came up of why things were the way they were for me. Like answering the question "WHY"? I have been asking for such a long time now. I did not want to face these thoughts or memories. I also kept hearing that inner voice, "it is OK, I am with you.", it will be OK, I am with you. This is where I get stumped and confused and do not want to face the truth. Is this God? Is it Satan putting bad thoughts into my head? I need major prayer about this. I pray that I see when and where this took place. My thoughts are giving me a person now and I do not want to accept it. I do not know how I will deal with this. The last time this happened, it was on Easter morning out of the blue. I had a name then as well, the same person. I have put it out of my mind since then, until today.

I find it amazing that his happens the day I start to read Battlefield of the Mind. I need the full truth. I need to know everything so that I can know for sure what has happened too me and why I am who I am today. This past has caused the paths I have taken and could have been so different, I could have been different. I need answers. Please join me in prayer about this. It is mentally draining and I know that is why I was called to this group.

Sis Nic, I am glad you used God as your Armor to fight those negative feelings in your situation regarding your daughter.
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow, Nic!! You made such an awesome observation and reacted in such a God glorifying way to your sister and daughter!! I have the desire to be able to react that way. I have been changed to the point where I am able to look at my mom completely differently than I ever have in the past, but when it comes to my 21 year old I really struggle with not allowing myself to speak negatively of him. Because I see you have done this successfully I know I can do it successfully too!! Thank you!!
  • Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The part the struck me to read over and over was trying to look at life thru God's Victory Lenses. I have realized how stressed and NEGATIVE I have been these past few years. With pain & arthritis in my hips & back, bracymatarsia in my feet, all the extra weight I carry.... All I could do was walk around complaining about the pain, and the busyiness.

To STOP looking at what is so WRONG in my life, and start seeing the possibilties of God's goodness working into the situation, is what I need to do. Changing the way I think & speak will not be easy, but it's the journey I must start.

Continue to increase my time in the Word, my time in prayer, and good books that increase my faith. That's my goal.

KRISTY in Dayton Ohio
  • Simple6
    Options
    My Dear and Precious Michelle,

Oh how my heart hurts for the suffering you have endured.I just pray that I may write words here that encourage you and strengthen you. Here is what I see.... that you are in process of being transformed from shattered and broken to beautiful and restored. Here is what I know.....He makes everything beautiful in His time.........this means that there will come a day when you will be able to look at all that you have suffered and endured from a place of peace and victory. I know this because I know that God is the God of redemption, restoration and reconciliation. He has redeemed you, He is reconciling you to Himself and He is restoring you completely. God's plan for you is for your welfare, to give you hope for the future. Right now it may seem like you will always be in this hurt and broken place but God's plan for you is to faithfully complete the good work He has started in you. He has a perfect timing for this process. You can trust Him for this. I will stand in agreement with you. Now is your time to know the Truth and to be set free.........

I just want to commend you for being apart of this study. I know your schedule is really full. Yet you have committed to this. God always honors us when we honor Him. I believe that your husband being willing to do the study with you is part of God honoring you.

:heart:
  • Simple6
    Options
    The part the struck me to read over and over was trying to look at life thru God's Victory Lenses. I have realized how stressed and NEGATIVE I have been these past few years. With pain & arthritis in my hips & back, bracymatarsia in my feet, all the extra weight I carry.... All I could do was walk around complaining about the pain, and the busyiness.

To STOP looking at what is so WRONG in my life, and start seeing the possibilties of God's goodness working into the situation, is what I need to do. Changing the way I think & speak will not be easy, but it's the journey I must start.

Continue to increase my time in the Word, my time in prayer, and good books that increase my faith. That's my goal.

KRISTY in Dayton Ohio

Kristy, God has so many possibilities for you. :flowerforyou: Now is your time to learn how to look with new eyes and see new things. For so many years I spent my time speaking about the problems and about what I didn't have. Till one day, God spoke to my heart through the movie Pollyanna, of all things. Pollyanna taught her town how to play the glad game. They would all look for reasons to be glad. God showed me I spent so much of my time thinking what if....all the worst and evil things possible. I was always so discouraged and unhappy all the time. How could I be anything else? I was focused on only the problems. But then He taught me to think what if...God. Meaning what if God supplied my strength, my finances, my healing, my hope, my joy, my peace? That opens a whole new realm of hope. He is an unlimited Source that always supplies above and beyond all that I could ask or think. He loves me and want to bless me. The more I focused on that the more at peace I became and the more I saw my expectation fulfilled. God is always the absolute and perfect solution. This changed my life. My emotions are now navigated by the compass of God's solutions not the compass of all my problems.

Thanks for sharing :heart:
  • Simple6
    Options
    Hello Ladies who walk in the Truth!

So I have been giving thought to recognizing the strategy of the enemy.

Here is what it looks like in my life.

Fear, anxiety, agitation and uneasiness.

Whenever I think a thought that brings on these feelings it is an immediate red flag for me. Yesterday, my daughter, who has just returned from India and is now in Thailand sent me a message saying she wants to come home now. Now, this my daughter who's whole heart desire is to serve on the mission field. Immediately my thoughts went to all the negative possibilities: Is she sick again? Maybe something happened. My heart immediately began to worry and be uneasy. But as we are learning I recognized that these thoughts were not ones I wanted to follow. They were trying to lead me to places of anxiety and fear. By the grace of God, I stopped and asked the Lord what to do and what to think. Immediately this thought came to me......"The place of blessing is the place of obedience. I always provide for those who walk in obedience. Your daughter is there by my hand. I equip her and provide for her." My whole body just relaxed. My thoughts were not dragging me into bondage to fear but instead the Holy Spirit was helping me lead my thoughts to rest in trusting God. This was a moment of victory for me. I so want to be a doer of His word not just a hearer.

Here is the Truth I have been filling my heart with:

2 Timothy 1:7 (AMP)

7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.

I am not a woman of fear. Anytime I feel any form of fear....it is alarm that the enemy is trying to gain access to my emotions. Not only am I not a woman of fear but I am a woman of power, a woman of love, and a woman who is calm, self controlled and disciplined and well balanced in my mind.

This is the weapon God has given me to overthrow the strongholds of fear in my life. In the natural realm, fear is always my first response. But God is helping me to grow in Him and learn His ways. Our God is so awesome!
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Ali. I am so pleased to be part of this study. It comes at "just the right time" - I love how God always does that!!

Jenni asked some interesting questions, but I sort of stuck at the first one - when she asked us to think of a difficult situation we are struggling with at the moment. All sorts of things going on right now (and no doubt at other points in this study my negative attitudes about some of those might come out!), but I was seriously working on my attitude and trusting God in the midst of all sorts of uncertainties. Then the devil got in there and really hit where it hurts. Last Wednesday my youngest child (7 year old daughter) got very sick. We took her to the local (American-mission run) hospital in the evening (when her temperature was over 40C) and a blood test confirmed she has malaria. This is not the first time malaria has hit our household (we live in Mali, West Africa and right now it is the height of the malaria season), but this time it really got to me. Hannah (my daughter) was just so sick and after all the other stuff that has been going on and my battle to trust in God through it all, I have to admit I was asking God WHY he had to throw this on our family too! There was my first problem - not seeing it through those right lenses. The Word tells me that God only wants what is GOOD for us - for those He has called according to His purpose. We are convinced that it is God's will we are to be here in Mali right now (and believe me, we have battled that one out over recent months!!) So now Satan is determined to get in there and throw me off course with Hannah's illness - and make me doubt once again God's goodness, His call on our lives, and His love for our children. A few years back I had a very specific word concerning our children - that they would NOT suffer as a result of our calling. God has been so faithful to remind me of that recently.

So Hannah seems to be doing a little better - temperature still high, but not up above 40 C any more, and she is no longer throwing up. And so yesterday I managed to get my Battlefield of the Mind book out and read that first chapter! What a great reminder! I so need to CONTINUALLY bring EVERY thought captive to His Word. I loved those weapons of the Word, Prayer and Praise. I found prayer a bit hard at first (it was more a pouring of self pity!) so I changed to praise. That sorted me out! I started off with a few small things and then realised I DID have a lot to praise Him for. He is Faithful. He IS healing Hannah (even if it is not as quickly as I would have liked! I wanted one of those instant biblical healings!) He WILL continue to look after us. He has promised GOOD to us (but not necessarily that the process would be easy :-) )

I am looking forward to this study. I realise that I very quickly become negative when things don't go right. God is taking me on a steep learning curve in this area right now - and I want to learn those lessons!

I am so pleased to be sharing this learning experience with all of you.

Ali x
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Wow my biggest problem right now seems small after reading what everyone else is going thru. Keep your eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of your faith! He knows what u r going thru, he sees u, he loves u, he promises to be there with u always!
    He is the great physician and can heal u,he is the lifter of our heads and can get u out of that depression, he is our Heavenly Father and loves us more than we can fathom.

My biggest oomcern is that my husband (who retires after30yrs in the USAF) in 2 wks, won't find a job here and we will have to move again for the 14th time in our 29 yrs of marriage. Or that he will take a contractor job in the Mideast and I will only see him every few months. I am tired of him being gone all the time.

But, I put my trust in The Lord. I refuse to dwell on it and I hated to even write it b/c it makes it real. I am not a worrier. God is good, he always takes care of me, he has been faithful before and he knows the plans he has for me! I trust him and I put my future in his hands! Hallelujah God is good, the same yesterday, today and forever!
    "' Give thanks to The Lord for he is good;his loving kindness lasts forever" 1 chron. 16:34
  • right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would like to focus on strongholds. It isn’t to just define what are those particular emotional restraints- which are lending to self defeat or to reason how the strongholds began. That is a vicious cycle and tool of Satan. I say this often and continue to remind myself and others…stop it. Plain and simply put – stop. If you give an inch to a fool…he will own the ruler. Why give Satan an inch…he will place a stronghold. I will leave it there for you to dissimulate.
    We are focused on a journey…and we are walking in faith, right? One battle for the mind is our esteem. But I say this…take our minds off the need for approval of men…and put our minds in sync with Jesus, who is the author and finisher of our faith. Be dedicated to the Savior Jesus, because in serving Him…we are in His will for our lives. Look at it this way…faith is a by-product of looking unto Jesus. If we are looking to Him for our direction, provision, lessons and companionship…we are in His will for our life journey. When Jesus asked us to “lay aside our weights”…it means to be done with it. Done. Leave it. Ask yourself this question…is this a “weight” or “wings” on my feet? Jesus says to not let our hearts be heavy…again…ask yourself…is my heart weighted down or is it light and joyful? Sometimes we do need medicine and sometimes we do need a good pinch…but always we need Jesus.

My prayer is Heavenly Father…days are long it seems when we sit in the darkness of a heavy heart or a heavy load that burdens our souls. Remind us through the power of your Holy Spirit the You are the Way…in the journey today and tomorrow and till heaven. Amen.
    Heb. 12:1-2
  • Simple6
    Options
    Hi, I am Ali. I am so pleased to be part of this study. It comes at "just the right time" - I love how God always does that!!

The Word tells me that God only wants what is GOOD for us - for those He has called according to His purpose. We are convinced that it is God's will we are to be here in Mali right now (and believe me, we have battled that one out over recent months!!) So now Satan is determined to get in there and throw me off course with Hannah's illness - and make me doubt once again God's goodness, His call on our lives, and His love for our children. A few years back I had a very specific word concerning our children - that they would NOT suffer as a result of our calling. God has been so faithful to remind me of that recently.

So Hannah seems to be doing a little better - temperature still high, but not up above 40 C any more, and she is no longer throwing up. And so yesterday I managed to get my Battlefield of the Mind book out and read that first chapter! What a great reminder! I so need to CONTINUALLY bring EVERY thought captive to His Word. I loved those weapons of the Word, Prayer and Praise. I found prayer a bit hard at first (it was more a pouring of self pity!) so I changed to praise. That sorted me out! I started off with a few small things and then realised I DID have a lot to praise Him for. He is Faithful. He IS healing Hannah (even if it is not as quickly as I would have liked! I wanted one of those instant biblical healings!) He WILL continue to look after us. He has promised GOOD to us (but not necessarily that the process would be easy :-) )

Ali x

Oh.....Dearest Ali,

Truly, your faith has touched my heart. I am inspired by your submission to God. I am inspired by your immediate response of obedience to Him. I love how you lead your thoughts captive. God is faithful and He IS healing Hannah. You will see the goodness of God in this situation. This moment you have increased in faith. You are my Ali, faithful and filled with faith.
    I encourage you that God is and will continue to keep His promise to you concerning your children. The enemy's strategy is to get you to doubt that. Doubt is wavering. So when it comes let it be your signal to hold on tight to God's word because the thief cometh to steal, kill and destroy but Jesus is your life and He is abundantly blessing you in it. He has you firmly rooted, your soul being anchored by Him. So you might get a sight drift but no actual course change. Well Done! Great practicing His truth. :smile:
  • Simple6
    Options
    :heart:
    The undercurrent of these worries involves the deception that I am incompetent, worthless, and unpleasant to God. That I am a source of His and others’ frustrations. That I am a great disappointment. Thus, I seek approval by striving, which leads only to disappointment and frustration and a cycle of pain and confusion. I peeked at the table of contents and I see the reasoning chapter may be the stronghold that would bind me if I do not wage war with the truth that I am free!

Here are some truths specific to my fear of not being where I belong,:flowerforyou: Word, :love: Praise, and :heart: Prayer…
    :flowerforyou: Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you.
    :flowerforyou: Isaiah 58: 11 “And the LORD will continually guide you,
    And satisfy your desire in scorched places,
    And give strength to your bones;
    And you will be like a watered garden,
    And like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.
    :flowerforyou: John 16:13 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.
    :flowerforyou: Luke3:5 Every valley and ravine shall be filled up, and every mountain and hill shall be leveled; and the crooked places shall be made straight, and the rough roads shall be made smooth...

Donnalynn,

You are a woman after the heart of God. :heart: I love to see you learning and applying His word. How my heart is rejoicing to God's work in you. For too long the enemy has had access to your soul through those lying thoughts that you are incompetent and worthless.........NO MORE! Everyday you will grow in the truth of God's thoughts of you and you will walk free of this. The most humble position we can be in is agreeing with what God says about us. He only speaks the truth. So if He says we are something...then that is the absolute truth. You have had some "scorched places" but God's plan is to cause you to look at those places with satisfaction. You may have felt helpless and weak but HE is bringing strength to those places that you need to support you and hold you up. You already are like a well water garden....lush and vibrant. Full of fruit and life. His Holy Spirit springs forth from you continuously. There is no place that you are scheduled to go that the Lord can't guide you in. He knows it all. And furthermore, He wants to share it with you. :heart:
  • Simple6
    Options
    Wow my biggest problem right now seems small after reading what everyone else is going thru. Keep your eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of your faith! He knows what u r going thru, he sees u, he loves u, he promises to be there with u always!
    He is the great physician and can heal u,he is the lifter of our heads and can get u out of that depression, he is our Heavenly Father and loves us more than we can fathom.

My biggest oomcern is that my husband (who retires after30yrs in the USAF) in 2 wks, won't find a job here and we will have to move again for the 14th time in our 29 yrs of marriage. Or that he will take a contractor job in the Mideast and I will only see him every few months. I am tired of him being gone all the time.

But, I put my trust in The Lord. I refuse to dwell on it and I hated to even write it b/c it makes it real. I am not a worrier. God is good, he always takes care of me, he has been faithful before and he knows the plans he has for me! I trust him and I put my future in his hands! Hallelujah God is good, the same yesterday, today and forever!
    "' Give thanks to The Lord for he is good;his loving kindness lasts forever" 1 chron. 16:34

Debbie,

I just stand in agreement with you that God is in control and that He has a plan for good for both you and your husband. He knows the desires of your heart concerning this situation and He will be faithful to help your heart come in line with His purpose, for you have trusted in Him and He sees your faithfulness. Psalm 16:11 (AMP)

11 You will show Debbie the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.

I love that you are already practicing honoring God with your thoughts and words. Great job!
  • Simple6
    Options
    I would like to focus on strongholds. It isn’t to just define what are those particular emotional restraints- which are lending to self defeat or to reason how the strongholds began. That is a vicious cycle and tool of Satan. I say this often and continue to remind myself and others…stop it. Plain and simply put – stop. If you give an inch to a fool…he will own the ruler. Why give Satan an inch…he will place a stronghold. I will leave it there for you to dissimulate.
    We are focused on a journey…and we are walking in faith, right? One battle for the mind is our esteem. But I say this…take our minds off the need for approval of men…and put our minds in sync with Jesus, who is the author and finisher of our faith. Be dedicated to the Savior Jesus, because in serving Him…we are in His will for our lives. Look at it this way…faith is a by-product of looking unto Jesus. If we are looking to Him for our direction, provision, lessons and companionship…we are in His will for our life journey. When Jesus asked us to “lay aside our weights”…it means to be done with it. Done. Leave it. Ask yourself this question…is this a “weight” or “wings” on my feet? Jesus says to not let our hearts be heavy…again…ask yourself…is my heart weighted down or is it light and joyful? Sometimes we do need medicine and sometimes we do need a good pinch…but always we need Jesus.

My prayer is Heavenly Father…days are long it seems when we sit in the darkness of a heavy heart or a heavy load that burdens our souls. Remind us through the power of your Holy Spirit the You are the Way…in the journey today and tomorrow and till heaven. Amen.
    Heb. 12:1-2

Zoey, this is wonderful and so thought provoking. I love so many things about what you have shared. This statement is so true: If you give an inch to a fool…he will own the ruler. Why give Satan an inch…he will place a stronghold. This makes me want to check and double check that all my thinking be given and submitted to the Lord only! I will have no fool ruling over me! I also loved the question you asked about weight or wings for my feet. Does this thought lead me to Christ or away from Him? Does this thought increase my faith or increase my fear? I always want to need my Jesus foremost and completely! These questions help to form a standard to test my thoughts with. I really like that. I no longer need to let thoughts roam freely in my head. I will line them up, just like I do my kindergartners and make them pass through these questions....then we shall see who is reigning in my heart. The Lord God reigns! He reigns in me! Praise God I am getting so excited just typing this. Thank you for reminding me of this. For bringing focus to this area for me. :heart:
  • Simple6
    Options
    Strategy #2

Did you know that the enemy uses more than one strategy to come against us?

As I have been seeking the Lord about this, He is really causing me to see very plain and clear. Since, I am battling sickness in my body, I was feeling quite exhausted today. I heard this in my heart " Jenni can you wear out God?" I had to laugh, because there are days I feel so worn out by parenting my children. "No, God, I can't wear you out, but today I do feel worn out." See, what happened was an attack on my soul. Earlier I awoke at 3am and was immediately stampeded by these thoughts:

How can you possibly have any thing to say to these women? You know nothing and have achieved nothing.
    Who do you think you are?
    You are going to fail.
    You don't have time and how can you meet their needs?
    Your daughter is sick.
    What are you going to do about the car?
    How are you going to help your son?
    You didn't even call Mary.
    You didn't spend enough time in prayer.
    Some leader you are....you can't even take your thoughts captive.

I realize that thoughts travel in herds but I didn't expect a stampede. It was especially hard because I was exhausted and already feeling overwhelmed in my body. On and on the thoughts kept coming. I felt so weak as I tried to lead them captive. But I failed miserably. My mind was wearing me out. Those thoughts we leading me captive. That is when I cried out....Help Lord! I am being bombarded and overwhelmed. He came to me, He bore me up and held me. He helped me realize that I was trying to do something that only God's power and God's grace could do. I was trying to overcome with my own strength and ability. I needed His words and His power. That is when I opened my mouth and begin to speak:
    The Lord is my helper.
    He is helping me in this moment.
    I feel sick and weak but He is strong and powerful.
    He has all the answers.
    This bible study is His not mine.
    He meets the Ladies needs, my job is just to obey.
    He gives me strength for this battle.
    It is ok that I don't know much.
    I only need to know Jesus Christ, He is my all and all.
    God is caring for my children.....He has us all in His hands.
    He never fails as a provider.
    He will take care of Mary.

See the strategy of the enemy was to attack me while I am sick and battling in my physical body. But God's grace is sufficient for me......but only if I reach out for it and access it. It was waiting for me to call upon the Lord. As soon as I did. I had the strength to fight the battle and receive the victory. Satan wanted to wear me down.....but God's plan is to strengthen me and build me up. I chose God's way.

Often my mind tries to spin out of control in thinking and thinking and thinking. Racing here and there. But here is the Truth that I am meditating on

:heart: Isaiah 26:3 (AMP)

3 You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You.

I commit myself to the Lord, He helps me to lean on Him and He helps me to hope in Him. He is guarding me and keeping me in PERFECT and CONSTANT PEACE because I keep my thoughts on Him.

Father, I just thank you for training me in the way I should go. For showing me where I am and where I need to go. Thank you for opening the eyes of my understanding and showing me how to war. Thank you for helping me catch my run away mind. For helping me lead my thoughts captive to your word. For showing me the strategy of the enemy to wear me out. In Jesus Name, Amen.
  • Snitch1
    Options
    Bump: will reply later..too tired now..have information for others with sexual abuse, incest, BOTH have happened to me, I have been throught it all.

Also..do not feel like you have little problems compared to others: NO ONE walks in your shoes but YOU!! Your husband being in the miitary and getting out in 2 weeks is A BIG DEAL The jobs/and our nation's economy is so terrible right now.

I do understand what you are going thru..I was Active Duty Army for almost 8 yrs, and in Reserves for almost 5. The Military is like one big family/a small city of it's own..I miss it soo much. The civilian world is more like "dog eat dog." You are used to commonality. There is no such cohesiveness in the civilian sector. It was a very tough adjustment for me, and it was over 20 years ago, and I still feel it.

If you need to talk, PM me..I will write more in about 8 or so hours.
    Snitch1
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    RE: from Jenni's post about her daughter wanting to come home early.

I am so glad you shared this with us. I can relate so much to this because my entire life I have always had fear- fear of the worse possible scenario . That is not a way to live-living in fear. Seeing it in writing and the way you worded it is so correct. He wants us to live happily, not in fear of everything because we know He will take care of everything if we just allow Him too. Why worry? And if we worry and assume the worse, that means we are not trusting in Him and that means not having Faith in His works. I really have to work on this myself. Wow!

I will give my story from last night. My son called, and we chatted for a few minutes and then toward the end of the conversation, he sighed and sounded odd. I asked him what was wrong- he most likely wanted to tell me, and that was the reason for the sigh- he told me that while he was playing volley ball the day before, he jammed his thumb. I immediately went into overprotective mother mode and he ended up being upset with me because I did so. I should have just calmly approached it and asked questions and offered some helpful assistance instead of over reacting. And then after I completed the call, said a prayer for him and allowed God to do His work.