Options
2»

Replies

• Simple6
    Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Strategy #3

What is my orientation?

This morning I woke up with the word "Orient" in my heart. I looked it up on Dictionary.com and here is what I found:

to adjust with relation to, or bring into due relation to surroundings, circumstances, facts, etc.
    to place in any definite position with reference to the points of the compass or other locations
    to direct or position toward a particular object:
    to determine the position of in relation to the points of the compass; get the bearings of.

Definition of Orientation:

the ability to locate oneself in one's environment with reference to time, place, and people.

What I am hearing from the Lord is this: Where is my point of reference when it comes to my thoughts?

For me, I am a problem solver. I love to ask questions. So I tend to spend a lot of time in the "Why" portions of my thoughts. What is resulting is that I ask why and stay there.....kind of a "Why?" constipation of my thoughts. Just as constipation in the natural realm is unhealthy so is it in my thought life. I am uncertain, unclear, vague, straining for the the answer. Normal "Why? movements" result in a healthy mind. God created us with the ability and the desire to ask why but we are not meant to focus there or navigate from there. We are meant to focus on the answer! To navigate from the position that God is the answer and the solution. He is our absolute reference. What I am finding is when I begin to ask questions that I don't know the answer to I tend to continue asking and asking because I feel anxious, worried and fearful. I begin to speak (acting out) anxiously, and fearfully. Those kind of "Whys?" result in me becoming doubtful and double minded. This is a strategy of the devil to get me to change my orientation. See, a sailor fixes his position not based on what he sees or feels but rather by what he knows about sailing and navigation. He knows that the stars are fixed so he will fix his course based on something that never changes. This is what I need to do with my thoughts as well. I must allow the Word of God to be my absolute fixed orientation. So when I ask "Why?" I can navigate to the appropriate answer.

An example

Our family has owned a restaurant for the last 13 years. Last March we had to close it down, we had to give up our car, our home, our state, our relatives and our friends. My husband had to leave our state and go work for four months, without us. There was much opportunity for me to be 'Why?" constipated. And I was....until I began to focus on what I knew instead of what I didn't know. I knew that God's plan was for good for us......so even though I didn't understand why all this was happening, I did understand that. So I chose to stand on what I understood instead of resting in what I didn't know. A simple course correction for me and it brought me so much peace and stability. It was amazing. Here is what James 1:5-8 says:

5 If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him.6 Only it must be in faith that he asks with no wavering (no hesitating, no doubting). For the one who wavers (hesitates, doubts) is like the billowing surge out at sea that is blown hither and thither and tossed by the wind.
    7 For truly, let not such a person imagine that he will receive anything [he asks for] from the Lord,
    8 [For being as he is] a man of two minds (hesitating, dubious, irresolute), [he is] unstable and unreliable and uncertain about everything [he thinks, feels, decides].

The Lord is teaching me how to ask! For so many years I have asked with the why portion of my request being greater than believing God. Boy was I unstable and uncertain. But God is so gracious to me. He is helping me orient myself. So I can successfully navigate the "Whys?" of my life. So the devil's strategy is to get me to focus on the why. He will fire the "Why?" questions over and over at me. I remind myself that my orientation is Jesus! He absolutely knows all the answers and will help me to know what I need when I need it. This stabilizes my thoughts and my emotions.

Here is some scriptures about understanding:

:heart: Proverbs 7:2-4 (AMP)

2 Keep my commandments and live, and keep my law and teaching as the apple (the pupil) of your eye.
    3 Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.
    4 Say to skillful and godly Wisdom, You are my sister, and regard understanding or insight as your intimate friend—

:heart: Proverbs 3:5-6(AMP)
    5 Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.
    6 In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.

:heart: Psalm 119:130 (AMP)

130 The entrance and unfolding of Your words give light; their unfolding gives understanding (discernment and comprehension) to the simple.

Father,

Each of us have so many "Whys?" I just bring them before you and I entrust them to you. I thank you that you are teaching us how to ask why and not lean to our own understanding in the process. But in asking those "Whys" to know, recognize and acknowledge that you have the answer. That as we grow in You, that Your Words will give us understanding. We choose to orient ourselves in you. We ask for your wisdom with hearts fully committed to knowing that You are freely giving it to us. You stabilize us and establish us in the measure of faith you have given us to believe for the impossible. Help us to recognize the strategy of the Devil to overwhelm us in uncertainties and doubt. You help us to stop being women of double mindedness and you help us focus our hearts on you. Give us healthy "Why? movements." In Jesus Name, Amen
  • Simple6
    Options
    Wow! I am getting so blessed by this even in these first few days! Everyone has said something that just settled in my heart as from God! I feel a strength that is becoming evident although it is already available. ShoGa, the wings or weights comment is an awesome way to take a thought and place it in the Light of Christ. Just knowing that His word SWEARS that there is NO CONDEMNATION, NO FEAR, God will NEVER be angry with me...I can look at the thoughts that bring me shame and terror and self-disapproval and agree steadfastly that those thoughts are from the enemy. I will speak His truth over those thoughts and drown them out with what is true, noble, righteous, pure, of good repute...etc.

But as you said, Jenni, the enemy has become skilled in a variety of strategies, even if fiery darts are the only weapon... Here are some strategies I will toss up for discussion. What about when we have a sense of fear about what God is calling us to do, and therefore assume it is not from God. You are CERTAIN God gave you a call to study this out with us in this forum, so you can wage war as you did. But, I recently struggled with whether it was God who asked me to do the teaching in Uganda, whether God asked me to bring a friend into our home, and whether God asked me to work with my husband.

How do I determine whether satan led me into something and the struggle is legitimate, or God led and the struggle thoughts are the enemy's attempt to thwart God's plan? I want to become skilled in birthing Issac's only. I want to be certain of the calling instead of creating Ishmael's and then trying to find peace in the trouble I have created. These ventures that I sensed as a calling, prayed about, and stepped out into have had various results, including painful lessons, but I am still not convinced I didn't get led into them by the enemy. (Even as I write this I see the need to trust that God can save us from the enemy whether the Lord brought us into the fight or we jumped into it on our own or through the evil one's coaxing. So either way my thoughts must be that God is mighty to save and the Lord God Almighty reigns!....Thank You, Lord)

1 Corinthians 14:33a For God is not the author of confusion but of peace...
    1 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

A little fun spark that came to me as I pondered this thought arena was the phrase, "THINK AGAIN!"

When I think I am stupid...:noway: "THINK AGAIN!"
    When I think you ladies disapprove of me..:noway: ."THINK AGAIN!"
    When I fear I will not meet the mark...:noway: "THINK AGAIN!"
    When I stumble and think I will never rise..:noway: ."THINK AGAIN!"
    When I think thoughts of condemnation, worry, fear, frustration, annoyance, discouragement, shame...:noway: "THINK AGAIN!"

This study is tearing down something in me I didn't even have a name for. I thought that this was part of me, not part of my prison cell. I feel free and vulnerable at the same time.

Dearest Donnalynn,

Great Question: How do I determine whether Satan led me into something and the struggle is legitimate, or God led and the struggle thoughts are the enemy's attempt to thwart God's plan?

I have been talking with the All Powerful, All Knowing One about how to answer. :bigsmile:

It is my understanding that we are no longer apart of the Kingdom of darkness (1 Peter 2:9). So we are no longer under Satan's control or authority. So the Devil can no longer lead us unless we submit to Him. So, please grant me the liberty to rephrase your question. I think what you really want to know is how do I determine if I am being lead by my flesh or lead by the Holy Spirit?

Here is what the Word says:

:devil: The fruit or evidence of a flesh lead life:

Galatians 5:19-21

19 Now, the effects of the corrupt nature are obvious: illicit sex, perversion, promiscuity, 20 idolatry, drug use, hatred, rivalry, jealousy, angry outbursts, selfish ambition, conflict, factions, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild partying, and things like that. I’ve told you in the past and I’m telling you again that people who do things like that will not inherit the kingdom of God.

:love: The fruit or evidence of a Spirit lead life:

22 But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,
    23 Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge].
    24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus (the Messiah) have crucified the flesh (the godless human nature) with its passions and appetites and desires.
    25 If we live by the [Holy] Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. [If by the Holy Spirit we have our life in God, let us go forward walking in line, our conduct controlled by the Spirit.]
    26 Let us not become vainglorious and self-conceited, competitive and challenging and provoking and irritating to one another, envying and being jealous of one another.

The life you now live, you live by faith in Jesus Christ. So wherever you are and whatever you are doing, you are under the authority and power of God. You stop and pray and ask the Lord first....Mattew 6:33 and then as you go, you do so in faith. Faith that He is leading you. You orient yourselves to His word concerning the path you are walking.

Galatians 5:16 (AMP)
    16 But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God).

Psalm 37:23 (AMP)
    23 The steps of a [good] man are directed and established by the Lord when He delights in his way [and He busies Himself with his every step].

Romans 8:5-9 (MSG)

5-8 Those who think they can do it on their own end up obsessed with measuring their own moral muscle but never get around to exercising it in real life. Those who trust God’s action in them find that God’s Spirit is in them—living and breathing God! Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life. Focusing on the self is the opposite of focusing on God. Anyone completely absorbed in self ignores God, ends up thinking more about self than God. That person ignores who God is and what he is doing. And God isn’t pleased at being ignored.

9-11 But if God himself has taken up residence in your life, you can hardly be thinking more of yourself than of him. Anyone, of course, who has not welcomed this invisible but clearly present God, the Spirit of Christ, won’t know what we’re talking about. But for you who welcome him, in whom he dwells—even though you still experience all the limitations of sin—you yourself experience life on God’s terms. It stands to reason, doesn’t it, that if the alive-and-present God who raised Jesus from the dead moves into your life, he’ll do the same thing in you that he did in Jesus, bringing you alive to himself? When God lives and breathes in you (and he does, as surely as he did in Jesus), you are delivered from that dead life. With his Spirit living in you, your body will be as alive as Christ’s!

Did you know that the righteous requirement of the Law is met in you already? So you don't have to be afraid of failing.

Romans 8:4 (AMP)

4 So that the righteous and just requirement of the Law might be fully met in us who live and move not in the ways of the flesh but in the ways of the Spirit [our lives governed not by the standards and according to the dictates of the flesh, but controlled by the Holy Spirit].

Fear not! That is what God is saying to you as you enter your promise land of trusting God that He is really leading you. There will be giants in that land, situations and circumstances and even people who are sent to keep you from receiving and taking what God has given you. But read what the Lord says:

Joshua 1:2-9

Amplified Bible (AMP)

3 Every place upon which the sole of your foot shall tread, that have I given to you, as I promised Moses.(:heart: You are walking and moving into new places of trust and hope in the Lord. God has given those places to you. So the devil wants to keep you from moving out. That is his strategy against you. If you don't move you can't claim what He has given you. So the perfect weapon against you is to keep you in fear.)

4 From the wilderness and this Lebanon to the great river Euphrates—all the land of the Hittites [Canaan]—and to the Great [Mediterranean] Sea on the west shall be your territory.

5 No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you. (:heart: I really feel like this means that all those old thought patterns and words of failure and devaluation that were planted in your life won't be able to stand in your mind anymore! Those seeds will be dug up and tossed out! According to Exodus 33:11 The Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. So God will speak with you. He will not fail you or if you should make a wrong choice, forsake you.)

6 Be strong (confident) and of good courage, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land which I swore to their fathers to give them.( :heart: You are a connector. Your victory becomes one that is shared with the women. Your life is more than about You. You will help many ladies receive their victory and inherit the land of Promise that God has for them.)

7 Only you be strong and very courageous, that you may do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you. Turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.

8 This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.(:heart: As you are growing in the Word, you are making Godly, good choices. You are dealing wisely. His word gives you wisdom and you become certain and confident.)

9 Have not I commanded you? Be strong, vigorous, and very courageous. Be not afraid, neither be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (:heart: God has not given you a Spirit of fear! He is commanding you to be strong, vigorous and very courageous. Fear is always going to try and stop you. But in Him you are unstoppable!)

Do not be afraid of birthing the wrong child. What is in you is conceived of the Holy Spirit! He is the Lover of your soul.:heart:
  • Simple6
    Options
    RE: from Jenni's post about her daughter wanting to come home early.

I am so glad you shared this with us. I can relate so much to this because my entire life I have always had fear- fear of the worse possible scenario . That is not a way to live-living in fear. Seeing it in writing and the way you worded it is so correct. He wants us to live happily, not in fear of everything because we know He will take care of everything if we just allow Him too. Why worry? And if we worry and assume the worse, that means we are not trusting in Him and that means not having Faith in His works. I really have to work on this myself. Wow!

I will give my story from last night. My son called, and we chatted for a few minutes and then toward the end of the conversation, he sighed and sounded odd. I asked him what was wrong- he most likely wanted to tell me, and that was the reason for the sigh- he told me that while he was playing volley ball the day before, he jammed his thumb. I immediately went into overprotective mother mode and he ended up being upset with me because I did so. I should have just calmly approached it and asked questions and offered some helpful assistance instead of over reacting. And then after I completed the call, said a prayer for him and allowed God to do His work.

Michelle,

Thank you for sharing. I am amazed how I always need to hear this truth over and over and over again. Why worry? Today, I was worry over having to leave work sick. Your post was just what I needed to remind me that I am not to worry. Here is the scripture the Lord brought to my heart as I read your post.

Philippians 4:6 (GW)

6 Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.

I realized my thoughts were leading me to the anxious, fretting place. So I repent. :blushing:

Thank you for helping me to stay on track.:heart:
  • Simple6
    Options

A little fun spark that came to me as I pondered this thought arena was the phrase, "THINK AGAIN!"

When I think I am stupid...:noway: "THINK AGAIN!"
    When I think you ladies disapprove of me..:noway: ."THINK AGAIN!"
    When I fear I will not meet the mark...:noway: "THINK AGAIN!"
    When I stumble and think I will never rise..:noway: ."THINK AGAIN!"
    When I think thoughts of condemnation, worry, fear, frustration, annoyance, discouragement, shame...:noway: "THINK AGAIN!"

DonnaLynn,

I loved your creative spark. It sparked this in me::bigsmile:

To fire your case:

STOP: before you decide, before you go, before you speak, before you act, in the midst of your thoughts
    DROP: humble your heart to ask for His plan, His perception, His direction, His words, His thoughts
    ROLL: run with it! Obey with all your heart in promptness and joy. GO FOR IT!
  • Simple6
    Options
    jenni...is it why constipation, or why-arhea? lol!!!

I had a moment today, ladies!!! I have gained about 10 pounds from my lowest this year. Some of it is swelling from the surgery...water retention and such...but some is from a less than exact plan of action for the past couple of months. So...I was going with Dan to pick up MIL at her home and decided I should wear something other than a nightgown or sweatpants! My jeans do not fit!!!! Not only my smallest 18s, but my 20s are too tight around my surgical wounds! I had to put on my FAT pants!!!! I cried and cried and cried! Dan tried to console me by saying he loves me anyway...WAH!!!!! Poor Dan...*smh*

Anyway I had a war in my head while I cried. I was simultaneously saying
    :sad: all that work was for nothing...&...:ohwell: I can do all things thru Christ
    :sad: i cannot stick with anything...&...:ohwell: I am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed unto Him
    :sad: I am a big FAT fake who cannot do anything right...&...:ohwell: He is able to keep me from stumbling and make me stand in His presence blameless with great joy
    :sad: I cannot even THINK RIGHT!!!!!...&...:ohwell: God loves me, God loves me, God loves me

it took me soooo long to even WANT to agree with the right thinking.

Even the emoticons sum it up...:sad: for the wrong, sad, thoughts from HELL and :ohwell: for the GREAT GOODNESS AND MERCY FROM THE GOD OF HOSTS!!!

Really??? sad and oh well are NOT opposites!!! I think I need orienteering lessons!!!

I am still operating in the 'my works = my joy' realm. I am still in the 'say it like you mean it' phase. I want to MEAN IT when I say I can...I am...I have all that God says I can, am, and have.

Pray for me as I hide in my prayer closet and listen....

heading for:bigsmile:

I believe it is both.....why-arehea and why constipation.....:bigsmile:

My Dear Friend,

Well done! You let His grace be perfect in your weakness. You are shaking up the gates of hell because you are practicing obedience even in the midst of an emotional storm. You are my hero! I feel so excited each time one of you presses forth to victory. Even crying and not really feeling it, you obeyed. Truly, I am inspired by you.

As for orienting......let me help .......10lbs after surgery.....hmmmm feels like a lot, may even looks like a lot....I wonder how the Lord sees it? It is Ok to feel the rain, in the storm. It is ok to feel the wind. That is part of being in the storm. Today, you faced the storm. You faced a storm that felt like a class ten hurricane......let God take show you what it really is. This perfect storm is not too big for Him. Here is what I see. You are a faithful, diligent woman. You have a goal and are working hard toward it. By the grace of God you have made much progress. God has been faithful to help you. Suddenly, you are attacked by the enemy to steal away all the joy and and peace you have enjoyed on this journey. Rejoice! The enemy only attacks to steal, kill and destroy. What does he want to steal? Your will in pursuing this God given goal. Your joy in all that God has done for you in this journey. What better strategy then to distract you from what God has done in you. To get you to focus on a momentary weight shift. Don't change your focus from Christ the anointed one, who gives you the power to do what He calls you. Weight shifts come and go......Jesus is the same always.

I love that you express the frustration and the pain you are feeling over this.....being real with God. It is really important to bring those feelings to Him. He cares. You can trust Him with all your emotions, not just your happy worshiping ones. In fact, I truly believe that it is worship to be totally honest with God. It is saying, I want to be known by You. I trust You. This helps us to be healthy. To vent and empty out all that pain, disappointment, frustration and anger steam. Cast it all on Him, not thinking that you shouldn't feel this way, because you should, but rather releasing it and emptying yourself out completely so He can fill you up.

I love that you practiced disciplining your thoughts. Way to go! You did your three minute "thought jog" today. Just like I did with my jogging. Remember that God takes your loaves and fishes and multiplies them when you offer it to Him. Today, was your start. You did it! He helped you to feed the 5000 emotions that where starving. Our God is supernatural in you and for you. What you are seeing is that your mind is used to the old pattern of thinking. Of course, your emotions took a long time to follow suit. This process takes time. It won't always be this way. You are growing in His grace. His power to overcome. As you practice renewing your thoughts to His word and allowing Him to rule in your thinking, doing and speaking you will soon being "running marathons." Your emotions will respond immediately to His word. This I know to be true.

Now decide what you are going to do with those 10 lbs......are you going to allow them to have dominion over you and stop you from pressing on? No! Those 10 lbs will not have dominion over you. Only Jesus is the Lord of your life. Everything else you give into His hands....you submit your emotions and your thoughts to Him. Give them to Him. HE is a master at carrying heavy loads and lightening yours. You are yolked to Jesus and those 10 pounds will be lightened. You can depend on that. He is faithful to you.

Father,

Oh how you LOVE DonnaLynn! You know every detail about her and still adore her. She is at this point in her life by your Grace. You have brought her this far and you will not leave her or forsake her. Your word says that she is not to be dismayed. That word means to be broken down in courage, or surprised in such a manner as to be disheartened. Today, was her test of this. The enemy came at her weak point and attacked.....But You Lord, You were right there, a very present help in trouble. You helped her make the right choices. You helped her to take courage. You will continue to help her process her emotions and continue to stand in this place of victory. DonnaLynn is a woman after your heart, she presents her feelings to you with the absolute trust that you will help her to process them in a way that honors you. By faith she lays down all the old ways of processing and the old patterns of thinking. She chooses You. You are her way, her life and her truth. She gives these 10lbs to you and trusts you to lead her in the path she needs to take to lose them. She may feel like she is stumbling but Your Word says that YOU KEEP HER FROM STUMBLING. She chooses your word about what she may feel in this moment. Your word is her absolute truth. Help her to anchor her soul in You. Today, the enemy wanted to blow her off course, but You Lord held her. Thank you Lord for NEVER EVER FAILING. Thank you Lord that you will continue to endue her with your Power. That she will continue to grow in your grace and revelation. DonnaLynn will be taught of the Lord. You are teaching her to be a wise steward of her thoughts and emotions. Great is the peace of DonnaLynn for her heart trusts in You. In Jesus Name Amen:heart:
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi Ali this is Gwen if you don't mind me asking I read your welcome message and you might have already said but is your husband a Christian also?
  • milove1029
    Options
    I look at myself and I see that what ever problem one has the devil makes it explodes! He spreads it through our day like cancer. When things occur in our lives our first instinct is to act in the flesh and then react in the flesh. In order to stay in the spirit we have to meditate in the word daily. Our lives can spiral out of control thinking and acting in the flesh and this is what the devil wants. This is what he advocates for! To defeat the devil we have to stay in the Spirit World. Defeat the stronghold with God's Word. Roman 8:5 is one to read and reread and then read some more. God Bless as we make this journey together!
  • milove1029
    Options
    By the way Ali I hope that your daughter is feeling better!

Gwen
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Hi Gwen! Yes, he is a Christian. He works for Youth With A Mission here in Mali (in fact is on the leadership team). He is a very wise, God-fearing man. I am truly blessed! And no worries about asking - feel free to ask me anything (and I will feel free to say if I can not answer!)

Love, Ali
  • Simple6
    Options
    I look at myself and I see that what ever problem one has the devil makes it explodes! He spreads it through our day like cancer. When things occur in our lives our first instinct is to act in the flesh and then react in the flesh. In order to stay in the spirit we have to meditate in the word daily. Our lives can spiral out of control thinking and acting in the flesh and this is what the devil wants. This is what he advocates for! To defeat the devil we have to stay in the Spirit World. Defeat the stronghold with God's Word. Roman 8:5 is one to read and reread and then read some more. God Bless as we make this journey together!

Gwen,

It is so good to have a united goal.....to live in the Spirit so we won't full fill the lusts of the flesh. Thank you for the reminder. Here is the scripture in different versions for us to mediate on. I am filling myself up with His word. :bigsmile:

:drinker: Romans 8:5 (AMP)

5 For those who are according to the flesh and are controlled by its unholy desires set their minds on and pursue those things which gratify the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit and are controlled by the desires of the Spirit set their minds on and seek those things which gratify the [Holy] Spirit.

:heart: SET & PURSUE are what are standing out in this verse to me. I hear for set: place it in a specific position. This is the cry of my heart. That my logic would be humbled to the Lord. PURSUE: means to follow with specific intention and with aggressiveness. I want to pursue the Lord with all that I am, at all costs, in all situations. For so long I have had my life set and I have pursued things which have gratified me. BUT NO MORE! I am controlled by the desire of the Spirit. The same determination I have used to worship me, I now apply, by His grace to allowing the desires of the Spirit to be gratified in my life.

:drinker: Romans 8:5(CEB)

5 People whose lives are based on selfishness think about selfish things, but people whose lives are based on the Spirit think about things that are related to the Spirit.

:heart: Jesus is my foundation.....every moment I am learning to walk Jesus centered instead of Jenni centered. Which means I am spending more and more of my time thinking about Him and His ways and less about what I want and what I think.

:drinker: Romans 8:5 (MSG)

5-8 Those who think they can do it on their own end up obsessed with measuring their own moral muscle but never get around to exercising it in real life. Those who trust God’s action in them find that God’s Spirit is in them—living and breathing God! Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life. Focusing on the self is the opposite of focusing on God. Anyone completely absorbed in self ignores God, ends up thinking more about self than God. That person ignores who God is and what he is doing. And God isn’t pleased at being ignored.

:heart: It is my heart desire to exercise in what He is teaching me. I don't just want to know it with my mind, but to also have understanding in living it out. I love how this version talks about attention to God leads me into the open to live freely. It also helps me to pray, Lord help me pay attention. Help me grown my attention span. :bigsmile:

Romans 8:5

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

5 Those who live by the corrupt nature have the corrupt nature’s attitude. But those who live by the spiritual nature have the spiritual nature’s attitude.

:heart: No corruption in me, Please!

Lovely! I had a wonderful time meditating on this scripture. Thanks again Gwen.
  • Simple6
    Options
    Strategy #4

Distraction

Examples:

Me, sitting in church, planning out my grocery list.
    Me, in worship, eyes closed, hands raised, asking God what I should put on my menu for next week.
    Me, praying for our nation, then wondering why this politician said this or that.

Plan of attack: LOOKING AT JESUS

Hebrews 12:1-2 (AMP)

12 Therefore then, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who have borne testimony to the Truth], let us strip off and throw aside every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and that sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us,

2 Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

This scripture tells me that I am to look away from all that distracts me from my Jesus. At my best, I want to, but still I am continually bombarded with distractions. I can't in my own power. I must depend upon Him to be my help. I call out to Him. Surely, He answers me. The more I call upon Him for help, the more I am able to look away from the distractions. All distractions are meant to make me miss time with my Lord. I am recognizing that. This is not lessening the distractions but rather helping my focus.

Psalm 86:11 (AMP)

11 Teach me Your way, O Lord, that I may walk and live in Your truth; direct and unite my heart [solely, reverently] to fear and honor Your name.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Love reading through all these comments and topics. Thanks to all the people who take the time to write these out, I like the verses shared, also!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested that I share this ...so I think I will.

I am so good at negative thinking, I think it's because I installed that sort of thinking in me at a young age, and I never questioned my thoughts. I didn't challenge them, I just believed them. I thought they were all true. Realizing now that I can't believe everything I think... I have to evaluate my thoughts, if it's negative...it's only pushing me on the wrong path . Positive thoughts are most healthy and help me reach my goal quicker.... I think Satan likes to throw hot darts at us too...tempt us with negative thoughts to discourage us!

"...And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:2)

God can renew our mind, which helps us have a Godly attitude.

We need to take every thought captive:

2 Corinthians 10:5-6 says, "Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; and having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled."

If I listen to Gods voice, he would never think the things I think. He encourages me. Like the casting crowns song (Voice Of Truth) I love that song, it reminds me that the only voice I need to worry about is Gods, and it doesn't matter if other people say harmful or critical things about me... I can rest assured that God thinks highly of me.

Gods voice agrees with his word, and in the bible he tells us that we are all wonderfully made... Any voice that doesn't agree with Gods voice should be rejected.
    If it's hard for you to stop negative self talk , try this next time :
    "If Jesus were standing here beside me now (bodily), is this what He would be whispering in my ear?"
    Think about what he would say. Don't think about what others have said to you.

Mandi
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Mandi,

Thank you so much for sharing that! Your practical suggestion is great:

"If it's hard for you to stop negative self talk , try this next time :
    "If Jesus were standing here beside me now (bodily), is this what He would be whispering in my ear?"
    Think about what he would say. Don't think about what others have said to you. "

WOW! That certainly puts our negative self-talk into perspective. I will definitely try that!

Ali
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sisters:

I am lead by the Lord Jesus to tell you this, right now, at this time.

I have been having so many problems getting this Bible Study done. Truthfully, I have not read but 2-3 pages of the book, and have NEVER opened either of the 2 work books, OR the extra inspirational guide I bought.
    Why?
    I give up when I am feeling overwhelmed. My life is super crazy-I thought retirement would be a piece of cake-(Oh yeah, plus a bag of cookies and a few candy bars later)-my schedule is crammed full of stuff.
    Tomorrow, in example, I have not 1, not 2, but 3 appt's at the VA.
    I have about 20 appts before the end of the year-that is, if I am not having another surgery.

SOOOO..what I am trying to get across to you, is: I cannot see how you are al managing it. To take care of your families (I do not even cook), to WORK 8-12 hours a day, to read your Bible, digest what you have read, and then thoughtfully put it down in a post we can all learn from.

Are any of you feeling overwhelmed? Let me pray for US then:

Father: What a BLESSING you are to us. Father, my sister's, my friends, these ladies I love may also struggle with getting it all done in a 24 hour day. I Father, have the liberty to stay up all night, as I do not have to go to work, and be coherent-but, many of these ladies do. Father, I pray, for all our sakes, you help us fit the important things in, possibly help us order our day-show us what is important to be done today, let us get that done, and then SLEEP PEACEFULLY-instead of fretting all night, which I frequently do.
    Father, I stand upon your word, that if I seek you WITH ALL MY HEART, I WILL FIND YOU. Lord, I am seeking. I want to honor you. I want to walk in your footsteps. I want you to CHANGE MY HEART, so that it seeks you FIRST, not as an afterthought.
    Please father, help us all to put you in the forefront of our minds, not hiding in the cobwebs. Father, if I am the only one who feels overwhelmed-then let this prayer be from me only-but if not, give us all grace, wisdom, and teach us to time management.
    In Jesus, Amen!
    Ladies..I truly believe we needed this prayer! Off to do my late Bible study now..
    Peace be with you!
    Sis Nicolette=Snitch1
  • joyundefined
    Options
    Okay, so I'm a little miffed at MFP for losing my first attempt at this post...will try really hard not to be angry. Let's try this again. *sigh* And I was almost done too!!!!!!! :sad: :explode: Because of this, my answers will not be condensed as I forgot half of what I had written. :mad:

(BTW I completely this chapter weeks ago, but didn't see that there was a Chapter 1 here, only saw Chapter 3, so was waiting to post until, well, now. :smile: )

1. What is my hardest situation now, and can I recognize the enemy's strategy?
    My hardest situation now is giving up control. These past 2 weeks have been the toughest for me emotionally, physically & mentally. Between 3 jobs, school, homework, church, working out and trying to have some form of a social life, it all leads to one thing....I AM EXHAUSTED!!!! And because of the stress from everything piling up, my hectic busy schedule not allowing me to go to the gym these past 2 weeks (which is my emotional outlet right now), I've been a bomb waiting to explode. But you see, I don't explode on the outside. I implode. On myself. I take back all control that I had given Him, and begin to TRY to control everything around me. And since I know that, practically, I cannot do that, I take control of the one thing that I have over myself: my eating. And I LOSE control. Last week saw me eating over 1000 calories extra on multiple days. And, frankly, though I felt bad, I didn't care at the time. It was afterwards that I kept hearing the enemy's voice, "You're a failure. Quit. You can't do this. Why are you bothering? You'll always be fat. You're past attempts have never been successful, so why are you bothering doing this now?"
    And for 2 weeks, I listened to that voice in my head. And I gave up. Oh, I kept logging...to the honest truth of it all. But I gave up and listened to that defeatest voice.
    Until this recent week. When I took my tired self to the gym and said, "YOU WILL DO THIS!!!!!"
    Which leads me to.....

2. What am I holding fast to? Is it what I feel, see, patterns of thinking?
    This had me thinking. I'm holding fast to several things. I'll explain a little more on each. :smile:
    2 weeks ago, I was holding fast to what I was feeling. THAT was my reality. No more, no less. My counselor told me several years ago that victims of sexual abuse have this crazy insane need (okay, she didn't use the words crazy insane :laugh: ) need to control things around them, because they could not control the abuse. So, they have to find something in their lives to create that "balance" (for lack of a better word). For me, my triggers of control are food, or lack of control, shall I say. When I'm under duress, I will lose all control and stuff my face, til I am sick, literally. I've actually had to call out from work because of this (which is VERY rare for me to ever be absent!!). These past few weeks, I had been holding on to a false reality of emotions and sight. The fake reality told me I was worthless, a piece of trash, and that I would never overcome this.
    This week, this week, I went into crazy insane battle mode. I woke up and said, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! Devil, I WILL NOT GIVE IN TO YOU." So, I changed my mindset.
    I am more than a conqueror. I am a victor, NOT the victim. I am an overcomer. I am a world-changer. I am the head, and not the tail. I am above, and not beneath. I am loved and be-loved. I am a delight. I am in Him, and the fruit I produce IS GOOD AND SWEET, because I have the river of living waters flowing out of me.
    I changed my mind, and began to speak the scriptures in my mind first, before I ever vocalized them.
    And I went on that cardio machine and KILLED IT!!!! And sobbed while doing it. Why? Because I could hear the enemy once again start saying, "Quit. You ALWAYS quit when it's too hard. You've ALWAYS been a quitter your whole life. You've always been a loser." And my reply was, "Devil, you lost me long ago! You can't have me back! I REFUSE TO GIVE IN TO YOU BECAUSE I KNOW YOU ARE DEFEATED! I will not quit! I will not back down! I. AM. NOT. A. QUITTER!" I sobbed during this whole time, with sweat rolling down my face, on that machine (thank God they couldn't tell what was tears and what was sweat!!).
    Not only that, but He has been giving me or reminding me of prophetic words that have been spoken over me. I'll give you an example:
    Almost to the day a year ago, while I was cleaning this past weekend, I found this tucked away in a very random corner of my world: "He sees your heart, and how you've been asking Him for things in your heart, sometimes without ever opening your mouth. He wants you to ask Him. He delights in giving you what you ask Him for."
    And I was once again blown away by His faithfulness. You would think after the week of crap, over-eating and binge eating, plus no workouts, that I would have blown up like a balloon on steroids. No. Nope. He proved faithful!!
    Not only did I lose the 1 lb I had gained from last time, I LOST AN ADDITIONAL 2 LBS for a total weight loss this week of 2.8 lbs, the lowest I have seen!!!!!!!

Yes, my Abba is faithful, and quick to prove Himself good, just and loving. :)