A Family Affair and Little Debbie Snacks

So today, I was hungry and was at the gas station. I was looking around for a “healthy low calorie snack” in the gas station. I knew that deep down inside that there was probably no such thing but I really needed something to eat. So I looked for fruit which sometimes gas stations carry but didn’t find any. So as I was going to purchase the gas, right in front of the register was a Little Debbie snack stand. I wasn’t even thinking about Little Debbies but I saw the Big Orange Signs hanging from the stand that had $.50 or $.75. So I went over looking for the healthiest snack like a granola bar. I am saying to myself I know they have to have some kind of low calorie not so sweet snack. (You know that I am very much aware of the calorie count because of the “Myfitnesspal” app.) I figured if I find the “healthiest” one I will be okay. I am only spending $.50 and it something to quick to eat and I can keep moving. Well, as I began to look on the back of the packages, I saw that most individually wrapped snacks that we ate as children and give to our children, were all 300 plus calories. I was shocked. You think oatmeal pie, its oatmeal and it has to be some what healthy, right? I could not believe it. That Oatmeal Pie that I held in my hand had 310 calories.

Little Debbie products are evil! “Delicious, frosted, creme filled evil!” No seriously, people wonder why kids are so overweight these days, well one reason may be they can buy 300-600 calorie cakes for $.35-$.75. These things are the cheapest, most unhealthy food item sold in this country (candy bars and soda have less calories than some of these snack cakes and often cost more). Let’s look at the nutritional facts on these things; most have over 300 calories, many have over 30% of your daily saturated fat intake. A kid can go into a store w/ a dollar and come out w/ over 1,000 calories worth of mini cakes and eat over 100% of their daily fat intake! So what am I saying? We are all watching what we are putting in our bodies but let’s not forget about our children. Let’s help them learn to make better choices now. If they are used to eating fruit vs chips and cookies, they won’t have to fight with it as they get older. Let’s develop good habits with them as well. Let’s not allow them to eat and drink anything they want because they are kids. That is not a good excuse. You do better as you learn better. Let’s form good habits with them so they don’t have to struggle as an adult. On that same note, bring them to the park/beach. Let them ride their bikes, skate, walk, run along with you. Teach them the importance of exercise. Let’s make this a family affair. It will be such a great reward to have a healthy, fit and active family. It will give you more ways to spend time together and as well as teach you different ways to motivate and encourage one another. So, let’s make this a family affair.