Medication

At the end August after being on the drug Januvia for a month I lost hearing in my right ear. Since then I have come off the drug and with the help of fitness pal have had good success. I would like to know if anyone had any similar problems with medication.

Replies

• deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Oh my has your hearing returned? So are you off medication totally now?

I've been having problems just with 500 mg of Metformin....severe cramps, gas and chest pains.....now trying to cut it in half and do half am and half pm to see if the effects diminish.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    At the end August after being on the drug Januvia for a month I lost hearing in my right ear. Since then I have come off the drug and with the help of fitness pal have had good success. I would like to know if anyone had any similar problems with medication.
    I am wondering if you asked your doctor why a drug would cause a hearing loss in only one ear?
  • Still no hearing. I have stopped the medication, trying with diet and exercise. Will see how I am doing with next blood work at the end of the year.
  • My GP seems to think its not the meds, that it would be both ears. My ENT is suspect of then timing of the meds and hearing loss but said it could be a thousands reasons for the loss. A virus of some sort could be a cause.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Dont give up on the metformin so quickly. The body tends to acclimate itself to it after time and the digestive symptoms will subside
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Saw doc today and he's changing metformin to slow release pills and splitting them up into 250 mg taken twice daily.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    I cannot take metformin, my body just did not acclimate to it over a long period of time (over a year). I moved to Victoza and Glipizide. I'm now trying victoza only under my doctors guidance. Time will tell if my eating and victoza will do it for me. I hope so, I like coming off a med.
  • I've been taking Januvia for a little over a month. Had problems hearing out of both ears off and on for the first 3 weeks. Now it seems to have worked itself out