Help... I'm a terrible cook and bored .....

Options
myyovett
myyovett Posts: 51 Member
I'm not a good cook and I am getting super bored with bacon, eggs, chicken, and cheese....... I fall off the wagon everytime because I'm eating the same things every single day, get bored and then eat the wrong things :(
Any easy recipes or suggestions would be helpful... I do like my crock pot :)

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm not a good cook and I am getting super bored with bacon, eggs, chicken, and cheese....... I fall off the wagon everytime because I'm eating the same things every single day, get bored and then eat the wrong things :(
    Any easy recipes or suggestions would be helpful... I do like my crock pot :)

Tuna Bake - Tinned Tuna + Assorted Vegges + Sour Cream, chuck in baking dish, cover in grated cheese and lob in oven until golden ... keeps for a few days too, handy for 'healthy snacking' :) Swap out the Sour Cream for tinned chopped tomatoes if you feel the need.

Frittata - Mix 10 eggs and 3/4 cup heavy cream together, peel and cook some sweet potato in microwave for 5 minutes until a bit soft, lob the potato and some veggies in a baking dish (and some cooked sausage if you like, which I do :)), cover with grated cheese and cook in oven until set.

... Those are my two staples for the family anyway, you can put anything in them for variety really :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Or what I'm having later today ... Olive oil in a frying pan, chuck some onion in and let it brown, then some mushrooms, add in some lamb mince, cook it up and add some spices as needed (I like chopped garlic and cayenne pepper/chillies).

You can add chopped bell peppers and whatever to bulk it out if needed. Peas and corn too if you have the carb allowance.

It works with pork, beef and turkey mince. Make a load and just microwave the next day :)

Plenty of protein in there to keep you full and if you cook in animal fat then the juices are nice too, I don't avoid them :)

I find the key is forward planning and having some handy 'leftovers' so off-plan eating becomes less compelling.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Add other meat: beef, steak, pork chops, etc. and seafood to your diet. Change up the veggies.
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For nights when I need a pizza fix and I don't have the time or energy to make the delicious cauliflower pizza crust here is my easy go-to:

La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla (small or large, I usually make 2 if I use the small tortilla)
    1 TBS of lowest carb pizza sauce you can find (store brand is usually the best)
    Any meats, toppings and a couple tablespoons of mozzarella cheese. You could also do fresh tomatoes and basil and fresh mozz if you wanted to be fancy.

Preheat the oven to 425 so you get a crispy crust, and bake on a cookie sheet 8-10 min. You could also sub portabello mushrooms for the crust if you're wary of low carb tortillas. I find they don't affect my weight loss one bit.

Fast, delicious, and most important EASY!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Stroganoff (use whatever meat you like, stips of beef/pork/chicken/turkey/venison)

- sautee your meat until 3/4 cooked and add a crushed clove of garlic (can sub for 1/2 tsp garlic powder), add some chopped mushrooms and cook for 2 mins. Add 1/4 cup of stock and 2 tbsp of sour cream, 1/4 tsp paprkika.

Serve with chopped fresh parsley & cauli rice or courgette (zuchinni) pasta.

Easy LC chicken curry:

Sautee diced chicken until 3/4 way cooked. Add 1 chopped clove garlic and 1/2 chopped chilli pepper (or use flakes). Stir in a little water and 2 tsp hot curry powder. Add some coconut milk or heavy cream and finish with flaked almonds and chopped fresh coriander (cilantro).

Corned beef hash made with turnips:

Chop 1 peeled white turnip into 1 cm cubes and par boil for 5 mins. Drain. Fry in a pan until beginning to crisp and add 1 cup shredded cabbage and a little beef stock. Add cubed corned beef, tabasco hot sauce to taste and a few dashes of worcestershire sauce.

Serve with a fried or poached egg on the top.

Other super easy ideas:

Fajita salad- spicy chicken, peppers, salad leaves, sour cream, guacamole.

Mustard pork chop melts: Pork chops topped with grated cheese & grain mustard.

Chicken breasts wrapped in bacon with blue cheese sauce.

Sausages & Cauliflower mashed 'fauxtatoes'

There are so many easy ideas, check out the sticky thread at the top for newbies as there are many links to low carb recipe sites with hundreds of ideas.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try a new recipe every week (or day). You won't get out of a rut if you're always cooking the same ingredients or recipes :)