Did you "yoga" today ?

Options
verptwerp
verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
Ooooh, got up this morning with an achy back ...... the cat walked on me half the night, so I'll blame it on her ........ I pulled the yoga mat out & put a random program on ...... sun salutions, not my favorite, but I did the best I could ....... 20 minutes later I'd worked the kinks out ...... and it set the tone for the rest of the day ........ went to the gym & put a great deal of effort into both the cardio & the weight circuit.

Back in the day, I barely exercised at all ......"too busy" ..... but not too busy to eat & gain lots of weight :laugh: ...... fortunately I came to my senses, lost most of the weight, and now do some form of exercise each day ....... and I'm getting to a place where I want to better my daily routines ...... this is amazing !

What did you do today ?

Mary Ann

Replies

• odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did a new dvd today, Kristin McGee S3, Strong, Sexy, Svelte. It was yoga with weights, then pilates, then yoga. The yoga with weights absolutely kicked my butt!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I did a 2 hour practice on Sunday, with 40 sun salutations (then some stretchy and supported poses for the rest of the time). I had this idea when I turned 40 of doing my own little triathlon, which would be 40 miles on the bike, 4 mile walk, and 40 sun salutations. I'm not going to make it in one day before I turn 41, but I did do that this weekend.

Today, I teach a class this morning, then I have the class I go to this afternoon.

I was never "too busy", but I was usually "too lazy". :tongue:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    yep

still can't do rabbit! lol.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Are you guys trying to do yoga everyday?
  • AngelDog1
    Options
    I'm looking forward to my yoga class this evening.
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Are you guys trying to do yoga everyday?

Well, I'm doing exactly that ....... whether it's 10 minutes or 90 minutes ........ because I've finally figured out that after 40+ years of having back pain & spending lots of $$ in chiropractor copays, something different and good is happening to me ....... maybe it's the combination of going to the gym for cardio & weights PLUS starting yoga classes at the same time ....... but I haven't been to the chiropractor in over a year ....... in fact, she called to see how I was doing :smile:

If it works, it's right !

Mary Ann
  • verptwerp
    Options
    I did a new dvd today, Kristin McGee S3, Strong, Sexy, Svelte. It was yoga with weights, then pilates, then yoga. The yoga with weights absolutely kicked my butt!

Yoga with weights sounds awesome ....... scary ..... but awesome !
  • verptwerp
    Options
    I did a 2 hour practice on Sunday, with 40 sun salutations (then some stretchy and supported poses for the rest of the time). I had this idea when I turned 40 of doing my own little triathlon, which would be 40 miles on the bike, 4 mile walk, and 40 sun salutations. I'm not going to make it in one day before I turn 41, but I did do that this weekend.

Geez, that's an awesome goal !

It's really interesting that we keep testing ourselves ....... I can admit that I'm not always motivated to do my best ....... but then my conscience gets the better of me ....... I've come a long way over the past few years ....... can't afford to get lazy or I will undo all the good that I've done.

Gotta keep on truckin' !
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    I've been going 5-6 times a week for the past two months. Took a break yesterday and am considering doing so today, but not sure yet.
    60 minute vinyasa wears me out.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I have recently added two sessions of bodyweight resistance & dumbbell training and two cardio sessions per week to try to increase strength and cardio, but I am finding I then don't have time to do a daily yoga.

Which would you do? Daily yoga because it is sufficient and don't need other training regimes, or keep to the above programme with two yoga classes per week and accept I may not always have enough time to practise yoga every day?
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do yoga or pilates everyday. Today was Kristin McGee Power yoga. It felt so good, I really needed it.

And I bought lighter weights for my next attempt at that yoga with weights dvd.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I do yoga almost daily. The next two weeks I'm training for a particularly difficult workshop. So my goal is 2 hours a day.

That said, 10 minutes a day is a daily practice, C4RL05; one pose a day is a daily practice. If you do one pose every day, I think you will get a lot more out of your practice than if you do 90 minutes one day a week. In my experience, after I do one pose, I want to do another pose, then a third pose. I may stop there, I may do an hour practice. Because I'm do one pose a day, it becomes a habit that is much easier to stick with than that weekly class.
  • appleeatingheathen
    Options
    I did this killer ab yoga that is only 5 minutes but intense! I am about to do another beginners practice video check out Kathyrn Budig Aim True shes great!
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    All my yoga is done at a yoga studio via classes - Mon & Wed is Cardio Yoga - a more advanced,interval class - slow then fast - awesome, Tues & Thurs is a Bar Works class - not really yoga, but a combination of ballet, pilates and yoga, Fri I attend a Yoga Blend class - love yoga!!!!! I also work out at a gym and do that almost every day but Tuesday - and meet with a trainer on saturdays.
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Wow, you guys are really doing some great yoga ........ I'm jealous !

Took a hatha yoga class last night that says "gentle" but I swear she was trying to kill me LOL ...... then this morning I did one pose, then a second ...... before I knew it 20 minutes had come & gone ....... it worked the kinks out of my back & I had a very good day ...... life is good !
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Wow, you guys are really doing some great yoga ........ I'm jealous !

Took a hatha yoga class last night that says "gentle" but I swear she was trying to kill me LOL ...... then this morning I did one pose, then a second ...... before I knew it 20 minutes had come & gone ....... it worked the kinks out of my back & I had a very good day ...... life is good !

Good job!

After teaching last night, I was practicing until the traffic abated. Ended up being a 90 minute practice.
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hey folks, it's been a little while since I've signed on to the site.

I've been continuing my practice... I am doing my regular vinyasa class tonight (yay!), and a yin/yang class on Thursday. I've been doing anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour every day, plus cardio (bike) and some weights. Depends on the day. I have had a few break days, but more often than not I find myself craving yoga. If I'm tight or sore, or if my back hurts, I move to the mat. It's become my cure-all for general aches and pains.

It's interesting, though, the more I practice the more I catch myself doing a pose randomly throughout the day. I'll stand up at my desk and do a forward fold and move into chair for a bit. It feels good to take a minute or so during the day to stretch and keep my muscles moving. I get some funny looks sometimes but it's all good.

I would love to find a good workshop going on in my neck of the woods, but they seem few and far between in my rural area. Even the studio I go to is about a half hour away. Thinking of doing aerial silks one day soon. :)
  • yoginimary
    Options
    TGK - I think you'll want to do teacher training soon :wink: If you want to send me a pm and let me know where you live, I might be able to find a workshop. I go to workshops all the time. I'm doing one this weekend that promises to make me quite sore and humble.
  • verptwerp
    Options
    TGK - I think you'll want to do teacher training soon :wink: If you want to send me a pm and let me know where you live, I might be able to find a workshop. I go to workshops all the time. I'm doing one this weekend that promises to make me quite sore and humble.

Sounds truly lovely ....... hope you enjoy yourself !
  • verptwerp
    Options

It's interesting, though, the more I practice the more I catch myself doing a pose randomly throughout the day. I'll stand up at my desk and do a forward fold and move into chair for a bit. It feels good to take a minute or so during the day to stretch and keep my muscles moving. I get some funny looks sometimes but it's all good.

I do the same thing on my break ......... good thing it's a small place & my boss is used to us "nutballs" ...... (he could stand to get in shape too :laugh: )

Mary Ann