Quick Question on Insanity

Options
peuglow
peuglow Posts: 684 Member
Ok a little background -

I'm an athlete, and I currently train 6 days a week already. I'm an MMA fighter, so I'm running 3 days a week (shorter distances, 2-3 mi) lifting 3x a week (strong lifts) and training 3x a week (muay thai, BJJ, wrestling, sparring, etc). Oh also I'm a father with an 8 month old, and my wife and I work opposite shifts (to avoid daycare) so my time is pretty limited!

I'm looking to see if Insanity will be a good choice to supplement my training. I was thinking doing it 3-4x a week in the mornings on days I don't run at 5:30am. I get that some people do this as their only workout, but I don't want to cut back on my other training.

I feel dumb asking this question, but I'm not familiar with the program. Are there any hard-set timetables for Insanity? I really can't commit to 6x a week and keep my training schedule at the same time. Do you think I'm doing a disservice by breaking it up and only doing it 3-4x a week?

Replies

• shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well insanity will be a plus for sure...even if you don't do it 6 days a week.
    If your goal would be to lose weight because you're out of shape etc..yes it would not work as good by doing it 3-4 times a week but since you're in a oviously great shape (if you're a mma fighter) well it won't matter much, It will add some plyo,cardio with some good burns to your weekly workout that's all.

I do insanity,with some running and martial arts to it every weeks and it's fine.
    Also have two kids...7 y.o and 18 months old. I know the drill...

Good luck
  • peuglow
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm on a weight cut right now, and I have about 40 lbs total to go, so I certainly have plenty of BF left that can be shed. I'm trying to wrap my head around the program. I'd like to do it 6x a week, but that means I'd likely have to give up some running, which is something I enjoy.

Perhaps a 430 rather than 530 wakeup will be necessary...
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    To address your questions: There is no hard timetables, basically it will take you 126 days to get through the program instead of 63, no big deal, especially you are doing all the other things listed. Another item to consider is that during month 1, the workouts are about 35-40 minutes with 1 going close to an hour. Month 2, most of the workouts are close to an hour. Twenty minutes does not seem like much, but it is 33% more than what you were doing in month 1.

I only do insanity and I am on round 2, I got 2 weeks left. The workouts are challenging as you are working against yourself. As I have gotten fitter, they have gotten more difficult.

After you have gone through it, you may pick out specific workouts that you may want to do consistently on days you dont run. My colleague does this, she runs on alternate days and runs on others.
  • peuglow
    Options
    Thank you very much, that is helpful. I guess I'll start the first workout Wednesday morning then!
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have been doing insanity for 6 weeks now! I'm doing it 5 times a week and I'm still getting great results.
    Its a hard workout so it will challenge your body regardless of how many days a week you do it. It will just take longer than the planned 63 days. Enjoy your workout!:smile:
  • peuglow
    Options
    Finished up Day 2 yesterday. I decided to go through and do each day the way it says, and I'll just use it to fuel my other workouts. Look like every day will be a double session for the next 2 months!!